Do You Have A Blog?

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Helene Lawson, Jul 30, 2015.

1. Helene Lawson

Helene Lawson Veteran Member
    Registered

If yes, what is the platform that you're blog is located at? Blogger, Wordpress, other?
    What is the purpose of you're blog? What are you writing about? Your life experiences? Fashion? Cooking?
    Share the links to your blogs. :)

If no, how many blogs (if any) did you have in the past? Are you planning in creating a blog in the near future?
    What will you write about? What are your favourite blogs to visit and read at?

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't have a blog to speak of for now but I have grand plans of creating one. Grand, I said, because I have started writing articles and rehashing old ones in preparation for my planned blog. However, I am quite hesitant because I might not be able to maintain the regular updating. I understand that a blog is like a magazine or a newspaper with a frequency. And even if the frequency of update is on a weekly basis, what happens if I would be remiss on that? What would my readers say? And maybe my audience would leave me.

3. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a blog about Eastern Europe, which looks at all sorts of things; cities, culture, museums, architecture, food, drink and pretty much anything you can think of. I've been to all of the places that are covered in the blog, so hopefully I know what I'm talking about! To answer the first question, I use Wordpress.

www.duckholiday.com

4. Helene Lawson

Registered

I think that readers would forgive you that, it's not really that much of a problem for them, as long as it doesn't happen constantly.
    You must be consistent in maintaining your blog, and have good traffic to it. Those are the two main factors of having a successful blog.

5. Helene Lawson

Registered

Your blog looks great, if I will have some time on my hands I will check it out and read through some of your articles. :) How long have you got it?

6. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I started it almost two years ago. I had so many photos of places in Eastern Europe and masses of notes from diaries that I kept that I thought it was time to put it into some kind of journal.

7. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been reading some of your blog, Tom. You have been to interesting places and involved in some interesting things. Congrats. And the writing is top notch.

Helene Lawson and Tom Locke like this.
  8. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks, Bill, that's very kind of you. I think that those of us in Europe are lucky in the sense that it is not a particularly large continent (if we exclude the vast expanses of central and eastern Russia) and therefore it is quite easy to get to most countries. It's rare that one ever needs a visa and many countries are in the European Union, making things even simpler.

9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks Tom. Since the subject here arises from the question, 'do you have a blog/' I want to say one more thing. I have had four blogs, different blogs with a different name. Before I set up my first blog, I looked at national political blogs, sports blogs, travel blogs, and blogs on currents events. I asked myself what type of blog did I want. At first I could not truthfully answer that question. The last blog before the one I have now, I had twenty-four followers, most of whom, commented from time to time and another six or eight that emailed. It was my best blog but it got out of hand. It was a lot of fun to write but it got too big, too many parties with different interest, each suggesting i devote more content toward their interest. I closed it down. It was a Blogspot blog and I asked Google to delete. Google said they would but i also had to delete my gmail account. This I did. Three times. After about forty-five days I started another, the one I have now. Originally I didn't want a blogspot blog. I wanted something else but I was never able to set one up on any other format to my satisfaction, even though friends said there was nothing to it. I am not expert on anything I'd want to write about. The blog I have now is a personal commentary blog. There is no foundation, no direction. It is sufficient to feed what ego I might have that needs feeding. My need for a blog is to give me something to do other than watch television. It seems to stimulate my brain because I always have to do research when I write something and my ability to spell has up and left me. I stay in touch with my family through my blog. Those interested in their older brother or their uncle, read my blog. It is also a way to fight loneliness when all your friends have died and you live in a community where you know no one except your busy son and daughter in law. This blog is my way of commenting on my world. I used to write five days a week I write two or three times a week now. I am an eighty-two year old who can't get around much and my blog is my voice to whoever happens to read it. In a way, along with a seniors forum or two, it/they are my life line to keep sane.. That's all folks. If you blog, happy blogging.

10. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to have one a few years ago, but I figured out that I didn't quite enjoy posting on it as I initially did, so I took it down. Sure, it got me a bit of money via advertising profits, but that wasn't worth it for me. I started posting on forums instead, and trying out online transcription jobs, and now I am pretty happy with myself. :)

11. Helene Lawson

Registered

I see, writing content is always a good way to share your experience with people. :)