Do You Have A Good Relationship With Your Ex Spouse?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Do You Have A Good Relationship With Your Ex Spouse?
    I will be 83 in July and my ex wife will be 73 in June. I received a nice Easter email from her today for at this point in my life she is truly my best friend. Despite the ten year age difference we are sharing many of the same things and we discuss these things. It was a second marriage for both of us that lasted 24 years. I was a widower and she was divorced. We live apart in different parts of the country and world to be closer to our respective children and grandchildren. We had a exciting and adventurous 24 years together and share great memories. Neither of us has any interest in marrying again or having a serious relationship but we do need a good friend, and what better one than each of us? BTW she is experiencing the isolation and loneliness that many of us feel as we age living single.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Simple answer to your question is NO...I have no relationship whatsoever with my ex husband... thank God!!

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ren Tanner "Do You Have A Good Relationship With Your Ex Spouse?"
    For many years I did. Then, calling her a couple of years ago, she sounded strangely different then usual, and urged the conversation be ended. Seeking advice, my good old friend from high school, Charlie, urged me to call her again, as did my nephew. I have not done so.
    Frank

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Its good when an ex husband and wife get on, not always possible I know, but so much better if it can be done

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

As long as he stays in his state..and me in mine...I'm good ...its worked well for 30 years

Patsy Faye and Holly Saunders like this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds reasonable

7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

My ex and I actually have a better relationship now than we did when we were married for almost 23 years. But I would not call it a good relationship, it is more of a civil relationship with respect for each other as our children's parents. My ex was verbally and emotionally abusive for almost all those years of our marriage...and he can still be that way at times, the only difference is that I don't put up with that kind of behavior anymore from him...and neither does our daughters!

We share Holidays, etc. together with our children, son-in-laws', and our grandchildren and since my ex has apologized for his abusive treatment of me and I have chosen to forgive him for this we actually have a decent and respectful relationship now that we are not married to each other. We base this relationship on our mutual love for our children and grandchildren, etc. So while I cannot say that I would ever want him for a "best friend"...I can say that I am thankful that together we have been blessed with beautiful daughters and grandchildren and great son-in-laws.

8. Augusta Heathbourne

Augusta Heathbourne Veteran Member
    Registered

My ex and I were on very good terms until I left the USA in 1990 and we lost touch. A few years ago his sister tracked me down because he had died and I was still his beneficiary, after all this time. It was a modest sum, but was a very nice surprise. I don't know if it was on purpose, or not. I suppose it was since he had to keep paying for it all that time. Anyway, lucky me. Remaining on friendly terms is definitely best, if it can be achieved.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2017
    Patsy Faye likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My answer is.....NO!
    That's the way we both feel. However, I do check her Facebook page at times. My wife knows all about my two marriages to her. One was annulled and the other divorce. I tell her when I check her Facebook page.
    We have a daughter together, who will be 41 in June. My daughter has had her own problems, which included problems with her mom that got her (daughter) arrested a few years ago. Daughter's relationship with me is 95% nothing and that's fine with both of us. Have a grandson as well, but doubt he knows anything about me.
    Just the way things are and wife and I accept that totally.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've only been married once but I know people who seem to have amazingly good relationships, including an ex-husband who is now doing maintenance on two houses.