Do You Have A Will?

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 22, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I Did have a will for many years of my life but at this point in my life I don't need one.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I do. And I believe that if you have any assets, you always "need" one.

3. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I have one that I update every few months. My witnesses are kind of tired of my enlisting them, but they still indulge me.

4. Lon Tanner

Registered

That is not really true Beth. Personal effects Yes----Assets No

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have one I did maybe 9 years ago that needs to be updated.

I'm not certain who to leave my stuff to. Siblings are not dependent upon me (they're in my current will), the only brother I cared about died in early 2019, and I can't think of a charity that would want my home.

6. Ronni Gates

Ronni Gates Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm getting married next month. My fiancé Ron and I both need to update our wills. He has a business that he runs with one of his kids, though until recently it was two of them. He owns his own home which is where I'm living now. I do not. He has more personal property and assets than I do, so there's that, but also we've discussed at length that if he should pre-decease me, we want to make sure that I'm provided for and that I don't lose the home I'm living in, even if I don't own it. Though I get on extremely well with my future step kids (the two youngest are the only two living in the same town as we do...the rest are out of state, spread all over the country) I have no illusions about property distribution and the potential for issues and contention over property if he goes before me. It happens all too often.

Lon Tanner likes this.
  7. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

i dont have a will because i donated my body to science---if i have any charge cards that i owe money to when i pass will the kids have to pay for them?their name isnt on any of them

8. Lon Tanner

Registered

How did you donate your body to science? Did you sign any special forms to accomplish this . It won't happen just because that's what you want.

9. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

whoops --i made 2 post---yes i signed up years ago---i have to carry a card with me

10. Terry Coywin

Terry Coywin Veteran Member
    Registered

It's a very old one and not worth the paper it's inked on today as I have either spent or divested myself of anything worthwhile to leave to my son. He has all that he needs, so all he'll have to do is get rid of what is left the best way he knows how.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No, they are not responsible for it. Creditors can but, in the case of credit cards, usually don't, file a claim against your estate, however.

12. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Your body may not be accepted for "science". My mother had a seriously debilitating stroke. She finally passed 6 years later from a resistant bacterial infection. Her remains were rejected due to the infection, so make sure you have alternate plans.