Do You Have Friends?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Frank Sanoica, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Why would I ask. Mostly because, after 74 years on this planet, I have few remaining. Do you have life-long friends still "in-touch"? Like my high school chum, Charlie, the only one from a graduating class in high school of 700, who has deemed me worthy of lifelong friendship. Charlie supported me through some tough times, though he probably does not know it. He visited my ex and I in Vegas several times before we split up. This was ca mid 1970s.

Single, divorced, my Mother living with me in Colorado, Charlie flew out and we rode the Cumbres & Toltec Steam excursion train between CO & NM. He was always interested in the historical aspects of the West. This "jaunt" was in 1977.

Of 700 high school seniors graduating, very many known to me, only Charlie has kept in touch. I guess he was the only one seeing my golden qualities.

Today, he is still residing in Chicago. We get together a few times a year. For how many more years.......who knows.

Basically, outside of my nephews, I have NO friends. What about you? Frank

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

That's the only thing I envy, people that have that special friend
    Mine was years back as a child, but because of my childhood, having to move around all the time, I never had the
    chance to make long term friends
    Once my disability came along, there was no chance
    'One' special person Frank - that's all you need :)

3. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I haven't stayed in touch with many people over the years. Just a few years ago I saw a post from an old girlfriend (the girl next door ) on another friends page so I said hi and we stay in touch on facebook. I've known her for 55 years but haven't seen her in close to 40 years.

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yes ! - ME ! :p
    I listen to ya don't I ..............I'm all ears, aren't I ............ ? :p

7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

A Good Friend Will Bail You Out Of Jail, But A Really Good Friend Will Be Sitting In The Cell With You Saying
    "Boy, We Sure Had Fun Last Night."

8. Patsy Faye

Registered

HA ! HA ! :D

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife has a couple of girlfriends that stay in contact with her off and on. One is a lady that she graduated high school with in 1966. During their later high school years, that done a number of things together and took photo's of themselves. One was going to the World's Fair in Canada (across the Detroit River from Detroit). Due to marriage and moving, they didn't see much of each other, other than a Class Reunion. My wife chose this lady to be her Maid-of-Honor at our wedding, something she didn't do with her previous two weddings. I thought that was pretty cool. Today, this lady has Lupus, her marriage not so good anymore and she doesn't keep in contact nearly like she use to.

The other lady is an old Square Dancing girlfriend that my wife met a year before meeting me. After wife and I met, she stopped doing things with the girlfriend, but my interests were more appealing to her (as in pro-rodeo). After leaving So Calif in 2002, there was basically no contact between them for a number of years. My wife isn't much of a phone talker, like I am. Today, we will call her or she will call us at times.

As for me, just a few of my old high school classmates from 1968 on Facebook. Haven't been to a Class Reunion since 1988. Never kept in contact with any old Navy buddies. I was on three different ships during my time in. Heck, I tell people all the time, "I don't need any buddies when my wife loves the same things I do.........boating, fishing, target shooting."

10. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, you're a friend. My online friends are the best ones I have.:)

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

Ike Willis and Joe Riley like this.
  12. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I only went to school for 2&1/2 years before the age off 35, so I never had a chance to make school friends. After that I guess I thought my family would be my friends. And they were, but most of my family has already passed on now.

That's better @Ike Willis. You gotta be careful, us online friends are real too. Remember how nuts we went when you were in the hospital? We wuv ooo! :p :rolleyes:

@Cody Fousnaugh my husband and I were much like you and your wife. Our family thought we were odd, because after 47 years all we needed was each other. We thought each other hung the moon and lit the stars. Now for the last 18 months, I'm wondering just how wise that seclusion was. After one of you passes, you need others to help you deal with even wanting to live each day.

My online friends help me stick around each and everyday.

13. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Ina I. Wonder - Ah, you've touched me little heart there :)
    Agree with what you say ..................

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  14. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a few friends that I have had for a long time, and only one from school that I still am in touch with, and that is online now; because she still lives in Idaho where we grew up together.
    The family that lived next to us when I was growing up in Sandpoint were like my grandparents, and their granddaughter is as close to a sister as I have ever had; and we chat online , too.

As far as relatives, my three children are it for me. I was an only child, and my folks didn't have me until late in life, so any cousins were a lot older, and I never really knew them.
    Most of whom I consider as family are actually in-laws from my first marriage; but since I don't have anyone else besides them and my kids, they are the same to me as if they were actually relatives.
    My other friends are all people I have met at some time during my adult life, and now some that are online friends, and some of those are very dear to me, as well.

15. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

Not really. I honestly feel like a person others wouldn't want to be around. Over the years I've had people from work invite me (just as friends) for a drink after work, dinner, shopping, antiquing. I always turn them down.

The only place I'm really comfortable is at home with the door closed and with the cats.