Do You Keep Receipts - Invoices - Records?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Apr 17, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We keep all restaurant, store and gas receipts in a tall manila envelope during each month. At the end of that month, we toss all of them and start over again.

Any receipts and/or invoices pertaining to our boat or either vehicle, I keep in a manila folders. One folder for each thing (boat, vehicle, vehicle) I also keep an ongoing, by the year, Excel spreadsheet for all three as well. Each spreadsheet shows repairs done, things bought, things we've done (cleaning, etc.). I have receipts, invoices and spreadsheets for all three going back to when we bought them. I make a copy of each "yearly" spreadsheet of all and put those spreadsheets in separate folders. I know when our next alignment and/or tire rotation is needed and on and on. Keep VA meds receipts I ordered online, lab results and co-pay receipts in a folder also. Don't do a spreadsheet for them though, but have got yearly folder for them. And, one other folder I have, one for all receipts of items order online and received.

IOW, anyone who would want to know everything about our 2005 Dodge Durango, we've got every receipt, invoice and spreadsheet for it, all the way up to this month of April 2018.

Actually, when I was doing Inventory Management and Jr. Buyer at my last job, I had to have very good records of both. My Director/Supervisor was very proud of how accurate and organized I was. Part of that "accuracy and organizational" stuff came from my years in the Navy. They didn't (and don't) tolerate mistakes and unorganized desks/offices. I found that out very quickly. My wife loves it that she can ask me about something I have records and/or receipts-invoices for and I can look it up and tell her.

So, how is your "Record Keeping"?

2. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not as good as I should be. I have all important records and my cats records in an according file. Many other things I just throw in a box. I think holding on to those receipts for a month is a good idea.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My wife is a tax pro so she is in charge of receipts and where they go. My SIL was a bank office, and she keeps EVERYTHING, especially all credit card and debit card receipts. I think we still have receipts and info on stuff we haven't had for 20 years.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

At tax season (mine were done in February) I do put all relevant documents I receive in the mail in one spot. Once I have everything, I call and make the appointment with the tax lady.

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I keep my Walmart and Kroger grocery receipts long enough to come home and sign up for the free $100 gift certificate drawing.
    Does that count ?

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Oh good Lord....why would anyone keep so much paper ? Once I have logged into my check ledger...it is trash..unless on credit card...or something that might need returning to store.
    Purchased items I staple reciept to the manual ...that few ever read...and file it away. That way I have date and amount spent on that item.
    I just do not feel the need for a bunch of paper hanging around. Simple and basic works fer me:D

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If you have a business, are a contract worker, or have an income that might merit an audit, it is worth keeping receipts. Talk to a tax person to determine how long you should keep them. I'm sure that Warren Buffet, Donald Trump, and Bill Gates have receipts for more than 20 years.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Now that I can understand that...having a business makes it diffferent.

9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

We buy everything needed in everyday living with plastic. I trust the statements to reflect accurately what was purchased, and where. Groceries, of course, are not itemized, but so what? Certain items obtained which might prove faulty, or whatever other reason that proof of purchase might be needed, we save until "prove-out". Accounts are paid in full each statement. Several times the mail failed to deliver a statement, and we were dunned with a late charge. All those times were remedied by the banks, upon my explaining they could not prove they had mailed a statement. A recent notice from one of changes in terms, actually stated that failure to receive a statement would not excuse the late charge. That card is gone!

One slight problem with my scheme is that some banks now frown on mailing statements. I don't need more user names and passwords! My credit rating hovers around 810, my wife's even higher. Upon hearing the familiar song from some banker about my "credit rating" being affected, I tell him I couldn't care less about my credit rating, which is the truth! Frank

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I keep records of what I owe and what and when I pay. I keep appliance warranties and instruction. I keep too much, too long. I also keep a record of my weight and over the past ten or twelve days or so I have lost 12 pounds. My clothes are hanging so I resemble something like a poor raggedy Andy or some hobo, Hungary and under weight.

11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs
    Do you know of a reason why you have lost so much weight, Bill? Unexplained weight loss is not a good thing.
    Frank

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Bill Boggs

Registered

Not sure. Ate poorly while I had flu and pmeumonia. Skipped a few meals. Broke dentures and may have been eating less. I think nothing mre @Frank Sanoica.

13. Bill Boggs

Registered

As a matter of human interest, while I have lost 12 pounds during our weeks of illness, my roommate has lost 21 lbs. Two and a half weeks ag she weighed 154; thi9s morning, 133. I will enter this into the record books.

Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

12pounds is a lot to lose in 2 weeks @Bill Boggs I have no need to tell you that. How are you feeling now after your bout of pneumonia?...are you eating again.?..breathing easily ?....