Do You Participate In Bible Study?

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have not recently been involved in an organized Bible study outside of the home. My wife and I do Bible study, although not as often or in as thorough a manner as we should, but we do. In the past, I have enjoyed in-home or in-restaurant Bible studies with a few people outside of my own home because everyone is pretty much on an equal footing. Although I am sure there are pastors who could do this well, I have not gotten so much from pastor-led Bible studies because they tend to be more of an informal sermon than an actual study and, while that may have its place, it's not the same.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have always been jealous of those Jews who argue their faith among each other. You not only learn from the other guy, but you learn what you really believe when you have to form the argument to convince someone else of your position. Much of learning the Bible seems to be a passive activity.

I unsuccessfully tried to convince our pastor to do a bible study giving a brief overview of the books of the Bible: who wrote them, who was the audience, when were they written, what was the historical context. Most of us have no frame of reference when random passages are read in church. A friend gave me a Quest Bible. Going through the provided studies really, really helped me understand more than ever before.

I later took it upon myself to put together a Liturgical calendar, because one Sunday when he spoke of the beginning of the new Liturgical year, I could see a lot of blank stares. I posted it on the fridge, but could not get him to give a brief overview.

So much of what is put forth has no context whatsoever.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

No, not for a long time.

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, there are some “cleaned up” translations that are easier reading but the Quran is already a tough cookie because Mohammed spoke a whole different dialect than the Western Arabian dialect it was originally written in.
    The Bible too suffers from that same syndrome and to be translated into an Elizabethan type of English from Greek and in some cases, Aramaic it had to be extremely difficult. For there to be only around 13 errors in the translating and those were only Because of the cultural differences, that by itself is a miracle.