Do You Play The Lottery?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Arlene Richards, Feb 2, 2016.

1. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Now that the frenzy of the big Powerball is over, let’s chat.

1) Do you play the lottery? Online or scratch offs?
    2) How much do you spend per month on lottery tickets?
    3) Have you ever won much (over $100) or do you personally know anyone who has won really big money in the lottery?

I’ll go first.

Yes, I’ve played the online games for about 20 years (rarely buy scratch offs).
    I spend $10-$20 a month on lottery tickets.
    I’ve won $1,000 three times, $100 several times (I’d guess about 5 times), and $10 - $50 a few dozen times.
    A former co-worker won $3 million, my aunt won $5,000, and a friend won $10,000 on a scratch off.
    Another thing: I never play hoping to win the huge jackpot (millions). Odds of winning smaller prizes are much better. ($1,000 - $100K is a good return on $2 investment!)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I buy a ticket once in a while when I think about it. Not that I expect to win but who knows. I did win three dollars one time. :D

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

My idea of lottery is to give my dreams some realization by hoping. It is nice to dream of being rich or hitting it big time but if there is no hope of realization then that dream is nothing. With a lotto ticket, I can dream big like what to do if I won the jackpot. And my wont is to keep my ticket and check on the winning number after a week of publication. That gives me another week of hoping, hahahaaah. But I only buy lotto tickets when I have extra money since I also consider it gambling when I buy too often. Besides, it is my way of contributing to charity.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Once in a while my wife will spend out $10 in Lottery tix, but as for me, just give me $100 and put me on a $1 slot machine. I've won $1000. $500, $200.......these are the big ones, but we sure had fun with the money I won.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I only play when the powerball is really big. Don't think I've spent more than $5 a year on any type of lottery tickets.

I have spent more on slot machines and have won $500 a few times and also won $1,800 once.

Ruby Begonia and Terry Page like this.
  6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

No, can't because it's illegal here in Hawaii. But I do play at pch.com it's free! You can play gmes and get tokens for prizes. You can become a pro gamer with a marathon of game playing and get a chance all month to win $2,500.00. It's all free and who knows you can be a winner for $5K every month. It's legal here in Hawaii, so why not play?

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I played once when it first started, and won £70.....I played again a few weeks later and won £10..for a £1 stake...I played a couple times more over the years , and lost.....so I stopped, I'm definitely not a risk taker where money is concerned :D:p

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I buy one ticket for every drawing for Powerball and Mega Millions which comes to six dollars a week. I've never won more than a few dollars but I always have hopes of hitting the big one.

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  9. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

1) Do you play the lottery? Online or scratch offs?
    2) How much do you spend per month on lottery tickets?
    3) Have you ever won much (over $100) or do you personally know anyone who has won really big money in the lottery?

1. I usually buy one powerball ticket a week.
    2. About $8.
    3. In 1994 I won $100,000.00. Won lots of smaller amounts.

Ruby Begonia and Chrissy Cross like this.
  10. Arlene Richards

Registered

WOW! Nice. :)

Ike Willis likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Ike that looks like one hundred million.:eek:..do you mean 100,000 ( one hundred thousand) ? ...how much tax did you pay on that?...In the Uk lottery winnings or any monetary prizes are Tax free, but I know in many states in the US you have to pay tax on it.

Ike Willis likes this.
  12. Arlene Richards

Registered

Holly, I read it as one hundred thousand (plus decimal points).
    Here (Ohio) a person would take home $69,000 after federal and state taxes. Some states such as California and Pennsylvania exempt lottery winnings and allow winner to keep the entire amount.

Ike, what country/state did you live in when you won $100K?

Holly Saunders likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have seen you mention the pch.com games several times, @Krissttina Isobe . I remember getting all of the notice in the mail from Publisher's Clearing House , back when that was how they sent out most of their advertising campaigns.
    Then, I tried the online version; but that got me tons and tons (so-to-speak) of emails asking me to play some more; so now I avoid anything that looks even remotely close.
    However, since you have mentioned that you play all of the time, please tell us what you have won by playing. Maybe it was worth doing it, and I just didn't try for long enough; so if you have been winning, I might try it again.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I didn't know that about California.

15. Arlene Richards

Registered

Ten states, along with Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands, don’t charge any state taxes on lottery winnings:
    California, Delaware, Florida, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington and Wyoming.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/get-there/wp/2016/01/09/the-best-and-worst-states-for-winning-the-800-million-powerball-jackpot/

While the Internal Revenue Service requires that 25 or 28 percent of lottery winnings be withheld for federal income tax, you'll owe even more if you win a lot of money.

http://classroom.synonym.com/much-federal-taxes-held-lottery-winnings-20644.html