Do You Rent? Have You Had Increases?

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 1, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Being a renter living in a Assisted Living facility my 3.5% increase was not unexpected, but I got to wondering about renter's in other states besides California.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner
    Well, we no longer are renters; however our mortgage payment increases with increasing property tax and insurance, not much difference, I suppose.
    Frank

3. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

We rent an apartment...rent goes up every year. They wsnt $100 more...we negotiate fown to $35 increase. Still hard to pay...he has not had any kind of raise in 10 years..and me not working does not help.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow, that's a lot on your monthly rent isn't it Lon?..I think I remember you saying your monthly rent is 5,000 ..so that would be $175 dollars a month extra wouldn't it?

5. Holly Saunders

Registered

That's the same situation in this country Gloria..many people haven't had a pay rise in years, yet utilities and food still keep rising at a shocking rate..

6. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

Most places I've lived have had an annual increase.

In my current location, the rent has not changed in the eight years that I've been here.

I'm curious to know why but I figure it is not a great question to ask the landlord.

“Never ask a barber if you need a haircut.”- Warren Buffett

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We've had a yearly rent increase for the entire time (9 1/2 years) we've lived here, but that's just part of renting from a large company. Usually the rent increase is only $50 per month and that really isn't too bad since we've gotten a new AC Unit, new water heater, new garbage disposal and new sink faucets. My wife doesn't like the yearly increase, but a homeowner sure can end up paying more than $600 for repairs on a house in a year.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Our rent has stayed the same for all the years we have lived here...and from what our Landlord has told us it will stay at this rate as long as we are here. :) It's a blessing we are very thankful for and our Landlord is very thankful for how well we take care of our home and the grounds surrounding it. :)

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  9. Lon Tanner

Registered

$200 a month to be exact Holly

Holly Saunders likes this.
  10. Holly Saunders

Registered

That's a lot , Lon.... I know you've said in the past you can afford it, and I'm presuming everyone who is resident in that lovely place can also... but where does it end... ?..It's a lot isn't it?

11. Lon Tanner

Registered

Quite a few of the residents are covered by insurance

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I realize the part insurance plays in the grand scheme of things but since we seniors are expected to get a 2.7%-3% raise this coming year, I fear that medicare part B will be going up as well.

Which brings up another question as to why your rent is going up 3.5% when our raise will not be more than 3%?
    Sounds like someone in the front office isn’t thinking very clearly..............

13. Lon Tanner

Registered

One has nothing to do with the other. Rent increases have nothing to do with ANTICIPATED Income increases.

14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Lon, I wasn’t attempting to be obtuse and most certainly I rarely if ever bring up something totally irrelevant in a serious conversation. If anything, I was trying to show some compassion and even a bit of sympathy for the plight you and others are being subjected to.

My point was simple and the relevance is indeed a worthy thought process.

You live in an assisted / seniors apartment and the company which owns those apartments and services do receive their payments by one or all of the following methods:
    1. Social Security and SSI
    2. Pensions
    3. Insurance
    4. Savings accounts
    5. Family resources

Certainly, a large number of the occupants of the apartment complex pay via social security plus whatever resource so it was simply a curiosity that the rent is going up higher than the “anticipated” increase in social security.
    For those who do use Social Security as part of their payment, the higher increase makes living on a budget and balancing the books more difficult to manage.
    If anything else @Lon Tanner, I would think you might see the irony in it all.........

Ken Anderson likes this.
  15. Lon Tanner

Registered