Do You Take Any Kind Of Sleep Meds Either Rx Or Non Rx?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, May 23, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I've tried all of the Over the Counter stuff to no avail. I don't want to get started on any of the habit forming RX. Tonight I will try another OTC that supposedly will get me off to sleep , keep me asleep, reduce night time urination. It's got the melatonin and all the other junk that that is supposed to work. We shall see.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Occasionally I use a melatonin "gummy" that works well for me. The dosage is 2 chewies but I only take one.

upload_2020-5-23_16-53-54.jpeg

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Both Bobby and I take melatonin at night. I have taken it for a long time (20+years), and after Bobby tried it, he decided that it helps him to sleep better as well. He not only sleeps longer, he said he has a better quality of sleep.
    And since melatonin is important for the pineal gland, it seems to be a good supplement all the way around.

Different people need different amounts. I would suggest start with about 3 mg, and then add more if necessary until you get the right amount for you.
    I take it about a half hour before bed, and of course, I do not watch television, so in a half hour, I am usually drowsy and ready for sleep.

It works so well that some nights I barely remember my head making it onto the pillow and telling Bobby good night.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had a prescription for Quaaludes once, many years ago when I was young and ambitious and worried about not getting enough sleep before work. I took them twice, and the sleep that I had was not restful and I think I felt worse the next morning than I would have felt if I had been up half the night. Now, of course, I go to bed when I want and I get up when I want. If I can't sleep I get up, and if I get tired during the day, I take a nap. I don't actually take naps often, but I could.

5. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've tried OTC sleep meds many times, and the ingredients have some of these, or combinations thereof: Chamomile,,Valerian root,,Hops, Melatonin, Passion flower, Lavender, Ginseng and
    5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP). Some have been helpful, but none of them have been reliable when I need to sleep.

My sleep doctor once prescribed Quetiapine and it did a pretty good job. I don't take it regularly, but only when I can't seem to sleep (after tossing around for about 90 sec).
    If worst comes to worse, I have Trazodone as a last resort, but I don't take it regularly.

Lately I've tried BCD, or cannabidiol, but it is very expensive, usually around $50 to $80 dollars if you get a fair amount of mg. So I've given up on that also.

So, I have not found a good solution to my sleep problem, and what makes it worse is my fight with sleep apnea (I use a mask with a bipap machine)

I'm open to suggestions.

6. Lon Tanner

Registered

Seems like I have taken all the same stuff that you have Hugh. Trazadone was the last one that my doc prescribed. It did nothing at all. I must be getting enough rest though because I don't feel tired during the day.

7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Melatonin because it is natural for the human body.
    When human growth is completed (ages 18-21) and repair jobs to our bodies become less the production and secretion of Melatonin also decreases. Normally, as we age we have a tendency to do less strenuous labor so we actually need less sleep [ hence less melatonin] in order for our bodies to repair whatever has been damaged during the progression of a day.

Contrary to what some folks believe, a person doesn’t build muscle in the gym but the exact opposite. It is torn down in the gym and muscle is actually built during our sleep periods ergo, I have to have good rest periods.
    Added to the fact that I’m a clean and natural bodybuilder, it seems fit to use something that my body already produces however so slightly since I’m over 70 so 10mg of Melatonin a night about a half hour before bed suits the bill quite well.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife was prescribed a sleep med, but I don't remember the name of it. It expired, so we got rid of it. Now she takes a 200mg Motrin and that will, in a little time, knock her out.

It's sort of funny how we can get sleepy sitting in our recliners and watching tv, but once in bed, can't get to sleep. OTH, since we've spent some days cleaning up our boat, which, for us, can be fairly physically demanding, we haven't had much of a problem going to sleep.

There are nights that a nice warm-to-hot shower will send me into "na, na land".

9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

My sure-fire method to fall asleep is to watch a late-night Movie in my Bedroom Recliner, and I'm soon cuttin' zees.

Then when Wife wakes me, I just move 3 feet to my bed.

(She sleeps in her guest bedroom on the other side of the hall...I have the big bed in the master bedroom.)
    Hal

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I just take a Benedryl tab at night...it puts me to sleep within a half hour after taking it.

11. Lon Tanner

Registered

I wish I could do that.

Babs Hunt likes this.