Do You Tell?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 4, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As the collection plate is being passed around the church, you see a well respected member of the church pilfer several bills from the collection plate. Do you say anything? Would your answer be any different if the person taking the money was new, and poorly dressed?

2. Oracle May

Oracle May Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think I could be quiet. I would probably call out, ''Put that money back''! I am very comfortable speaking up in church. My pastor encourages this. He does not believe in being a one man show and likes everyone to take part.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  3. Susan Brown

Susan Brown Veteran Member
    Registered

I would not say anything to the person who took the money because I am not a confrontational person. I would bring it up to the Pastor in private he could choose how to deal with it. Stealing is wrong regardless of the reason. He may be financially struggling and too proud to ask for help but if confronted by the Pastor then he may admit it. If he denies it then I believe God will deal with it in his own way.

4. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

Wait how do you know they are not just making change? In our churches there was always an offering usher that would tend the rows during collection time, these are the ones that are suppose to keep everyone honest. If you were are person that wanted to tithe, say your rate was 10% a year and you forgot to get the right amount and only had a larger bill, maybe they just were making change? It could be argued that maybe they should have left it as paid ahead, but in this day and age not everyone can do that. Now if they were just out right stealing that takes some serious desperation ... not only the guilt from theft but from doing it in church, I would think it was only a matter of time before it was apparent and something gave way to a change. As a flock member you should leave it be and let the good shepherd tend the flock. That is his burden not yours.

5. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

I would definitely tell, and even more so if that person would be new. If there would be a homeless person to try and steal money and get away with it, they would keep coming. If anything, I would tell them to put that money back and I would give them some of my money after everyone went home.

6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I would mention to the person that I saw them taking money and if it was change they needed I would be happy to help them as I am the Usher during collection time. If it was not a member of my church I would do the same thing, the first time no problem the second time we do have a problem, and I would go to the pastor of the church.

7. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I think I would ask the individual if they did indeed take the money. Then I would ask them why they took the money. Perhaps they are having a rough time themselves. But then I would tell them that even if things are rough it wasn't right to steal from a church and maybe they should return the money. I would tell them the decision was up to them but could they live with themselves if they didn't return it and addmit what they did.