Does Progress In Technology Excite You Or Scare You?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 4, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Does progress in technology excite you or scare you? Which, in particular?

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The technological advances in war machines scares me.

Micki Pembroke and Bess Barber like this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

It is exciting and I am just sorry that at my age I won't be 20 years from now to see it.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Ditto...

6. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I suppose if I have to pick one reaction, I'd say that it scares me. Seems like advances in technology are making some aspects of humanity obsolete. Cell phone zombies are already removing human interaction from their daily lives.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Amazon and Whole Foods working on a deal to scan hand to debt ypur account for purchases. Guess the eye scan failed :cool:

8. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I already posted my rant about drones on the other technology thread. I can't think of anything more dangerous than something that can fly up to the windows of your home to spy on you or shoot you or set your house on fire. Seriously, they are evil.

9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

It is hard to make a blanket answer to this question. It is kind of like asking “is fire a good thing or a bad thing”. If it is heating your house and keeping you from freezing then it is definitely a good thing. On the other hand, if it is burning your house down, then it is a bad thing.
    I think this same thing about technology.
    We have amazing advances in the medical field which save lives. Who could have thought that doctors could run a tiny camera right up your blood vein and see how your heart is doing ?
    Our vehicles are a long way from the old Model T Fords, and even the muscle cars of the 60’s, with all of the sensors and conveniences they have built in.
    In every century , we have had advances from the century before.
    When machinery was invented that worked on farms instead of a horse and plow, people thought that these kinds of advancement would ruin people’s lives back then, but most of us grew up in an age where factories and machines are part of life.
    So, overall, I like technological advancement, even though part of it is scary when it is used by the military (or terrorists) to track or kill people, or for mind control.
    When I sit here with my iPad, connecting with everyone on the forum, and remember back to my first computer (huge boxy things and heavy monitors), and a dial-up modem, there is no way that I can not love the advancements , and overall, think that most of them are beneficial to our lives.

10. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Technology is scary. Just look at some of rthese avatars.

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

As it is with guns, have no fear at all for any technological advances. It’s the occasional idiot who runs it that I am afraid of.

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Generations before us lived without the suffocating technologies that are in our face, daily. They survived and even thrived without it. Most of today's technology has become too addictive. When it goes away, people won't have a clue about what to do.

13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

But a lot of them didn’t even live half the lifetime that we have now, @Joe Riley . It was pretty common for women to die in childbirth back then, or men to be killed doing whatever work they did for a living.
    It is true that we are way too involved in personal technology, and people live with their eyes looking at their phones, or their computers, and that is not good either.
    We need to exercise our bodies and our minds, and to interact and form real relationships with other people , and the device -addiction you are talking about has certainly curtailed that kind of important activities.

14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

It doesn't scare me or excite me. It only bothers me, because it is so time-consuming to try and catch up all the time. So far I've been able to hang on... just barely.

Some advances are truly useful, but some seem like added bells and whistles, introduced just to sell a new model of an older device.

I do dread the thought of buying a new car, though. :eek: :p

15. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I have a 26 year old son who doesn't even know how to read a paper road map. All he knows is letting his phone show him the way. If there was a catastrophe, lots of younger people would be running around in circles waiting for their phone service to come back on. :p