Dogs and Peanut Butter

Discussion in 'Pets & Critters' started by Yvonne Smith, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Does your dog eat peanut butter ?
    Chipper just loves peanut butter, and if i am eating an apple with peanut butter on it, he always sits right there waiting for me to give him his bite of peanut better, too.
    It seems like peanut butter must smell good to a dog; but most of them don't know what to do when they get their first bite of peanut butter and it sticks to the roof of their mouth.
    They will often just make the funniest faces trying to Chew the Unchewable; but once they get the hang of it, peanut butter often becomes a favorite treat for dogs, it seems like.

Another food that dogs absolutely LOVE (and who can blame them ?) is chocolate.
    For years, Chipper's favorite treat was an M&M.
    Then I read that chocolate was dangerous for a dog to eat and it should never ever be fed to a dog. So poor Chipper lost his favorite treat.
    The interesting thing is that, back when I was growing up, every single kid , and most of the growups, shared their candy bars with their dogs . (We didn't know that candy bars were evil back then, either).
    Dogs loved sharing candy bars ! !
    As far as I know, no one's dog even so much as got sick from sharing a candy bar, let alone died from it.
    Then, word came down from The Creator (delivered by angels) that no longer could dogs eat chocolate or they would DIE.
    I know that this had to have come from God, because it is followed RELIGIOUSLY by literally everyone who has a dog. It was possibly in the original Ten Commandments, and lost somewhere along the line in translation, it is that important.
    (Please don't tell God; but Chipper still gets M&M's now and then, anyway....)

Bobby Cole and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Radar likes peanut butter. Usually give with a pill if he's sick.Or to hide it.

3. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

Marley is a peanut butter fan personified. Our previous dog, Mikey eschewed it like no tomorrow and I never understood why. Most dogs love the stuff. Marley loves yogurt and I give her all kinds. Not too much or too often, but to vary her diet. What stopped me in my tracks last week though, she stole my dill pickle from my lunch and had it down before I could stop her. I had visions of her being sick all over the place, but not so. What a dog.

Hedi Mitchell and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lois Winters ..oh that is funny.
    I let Radar lick off ice cream sticks, he likes yogurt also, but gets what's left after I am finished. Every morning he comes in for his treat..a tiny baby carrot. We have never given him store bought dog treats.

Lois Winters likes this.
  5. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Veteran Member
    Registered

Peanut butter is a great way to get a dog to do a lot of things.

This lady knows !!

Nancy Hart and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

We make our dogs frozen treats
    Plain Yogurt
    Peanut butter
    Bananas
    Whip it all together and freeze in ice cube trays.
    They go nuts for it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I have used peanut butter to give a dog a pill. I remember years ago we had a boxer named Mitzi. When the kids were small she'd "babysit" them in the yard. One day one of them threw a piece of half-chewed bubble gum onto the ground and Mitzi scooped it up. I have never seen anything as funny as that boxer trying to chew that gum.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Max loves peanut butter, but it doesn't love him: It sticks to the roof of his mouth, and then he goes goofy trying to get it off. We only give him pb cookie treats, now.

He does love sauteed tofu and tempeh, broccoli and cauliflower, fried okra, kale, mung bean sprouts, carrots, dolmas, injeras, artichokes, corn on the cob, and most dishes I cook up. Being a family member of a gourmet vegan chef, me, he eats things other dogs might not "understand."

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Do you think your dog's diet helps to fend off fleas?

I've had folks from other cultures say that Americans smell "sickly sweet" because of all the red meat we eat, while I've noticed a different scent coming from those who are vegetarian (mostly from high quantities of garlic.)

If your dog eats less meat (sickly sweet) and more vegan (garlic-based), I bet there's a reduced attractant/natural repellent going on there.

Yvonne Smith likes this.