Dominoes Is Going Downhill

Discussion in 'Restaurant Reviews' started by Yvonne Smith, May 20, 2024.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have not had pizza is several months, and when we did, it was one of the deli pizzas from Aldi’s or Walmart that you take home and bake.
    Dominoes always has a special on pickup-only pizza, so we ordered the special yesterday.

First thing, the app was not working properly, and it would not let me sign in, or even make a new registration; so eventually I ended up just ordering as a “guest”.
    Next you choose your toppings, and there were only a few choices available. There were no mushrooms, which is shocking for a pizza place !
    No green peppers, just the banana peppers and jalapeño peppers.

It used to be that you chose the cheeses and meats, and then the veggie toppings. Now, there was no choice for extra cheese, and the meats (what few there were) were added in with the veggie toppings.
    Because I chose one pizza with Alfredo sauce rather than the pizza sauce, they counted it as an extra topping and charged me more for that pizza.

After I had made the order, the tracker was not working either, and it said 30-40 minutes for the pizza instead of the usual 20 minutes.
    It still was not ready a half hour later, so we had to sit in the car and wait for it. The pizza was good, but overall, it was a disappointing experience; so we will probably not be ordering from dominoes any more. Only one person seemed to be working, so it would appear that Dominoes has been losing customers, and from our experience, I can see why.

There is a Little Caesar’s just a block further away from Dominoes, and while they do not have as many options as Dominoes, at least their everything pizza does have everything on it (or at least it used to).
    My favorite place is still definitely CiCi’s Pizza, but it is not close so we seldom go there anymore.

2. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I never buy pizza from chain pizza restaurants. We have many mom and pop pizzerias and bars with each having their own original taste. Some of the best here are 12 cut trays pan fried in peanut oil.

3. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think the only Cici's we have is in the Deep Woods Ghetto.

Since being diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes I've avoided any pizza at all. I've cut many things and sadly backslid a little so I need to double down.

Dominos? I think before long it'll be factory premade crusts with a small selection of "topping mixes" squirted on a by a machine that will add "cheese" on top then bake it. Not that they'll be alone in this.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've always preferred Papa John's, but they don't seem to have as many locations as the other guys. Domino's would be at the bottom of my list...just a personal taste preference.

As @Ed Wilson said, the independent guys are the best.

Jacob Petersheim likes this.
  5. John Brunner

I have no idea what that is.

6. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

It's called Sicilian pizza. Here's an example from a place nearby.
    [​IMG]

7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Our local Dominos closed a few months ago. They had decent pizza and it was easy to get a delivery, but it wasn't anything great. I also prefer Papa John's of all the chains. Years ago I loved Pizza Hut but I haven't seen one of those in years.

8. John Brunner

I've had that style, but what's fried in peanut oil?

9. Krystal Shay

Krystal Shay Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

If we buy pizza out, we like Godfather’s or Pizza Hut. We have never cared for Domino’s pizza. Everyone has their own pizza preferences. As we have gotten older, we do not like a lot of sauce or toppings on ours---just hamburger and cheese.

10. John Brunner

Here's now many locations each of the 3 major chains has.

Pizza Hut: 7,000 locations in the USA. 13,000 locations in over 100 other countries.
    Domino's: 5,650 locations in the USA. 9,350 locations in 82 other countries.
    Papa John's: 3,150 locations in the USA. 2,350 locations in 44 countries.
    Godfather's has 445 locations in the USA, and none elsewhere.

11. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

The whole thing is fried in peanut oil. There is even a notice on the box for those who can't have peanuts.

12. John Brunner

Fascinating. I had no idea.

Ed Wilson and Jacob Petersheim like this.
  13. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Found this...

NEPA Pan-fried Sicilian Pizza
    By Ooni HQ
    This crispy pan-fried Sicilian pizza from Luzerne County, Pennsylvania is a regional recipe that involves cooking pizza dough in a layer of peanut oil to create a generously crunchy crust with a pillowy interior. Topped with simple tomato sauce, sweet onions, mozzarella and cheddar, it’s like a mashup of pizza fritta and Grandma-style.

Originally invented by Victory Pig Pizza and BBQ in Wyoming (the Luzerne County town, not the state), this pizza’s beloved in its particular corner of Northeastern Pennsylvania (NEPA). So loved, in fact, that nearly 50 additional pan-fried Sicilian pizzerias have popped up in Luzerne County, many branching off the Victory Pig family tree in one way or another! Jim Mirabelli, the owner and chief pizza officer of NEPA Pizza Review (a guide to all things Northeastern Pennsylvania-style pizza) says, “Since having my first ‘trays’ (as locals call a full pizza) from places like Pizza L’Oven, Pizza Perfect and Victory Pig, I’ve been fascinated by each crispy and wonderfully flavorful bite.“

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

... because regular pizza doesn't have enough calories. :D:D (It does sound good, though.)

15. Beth Gallagher

Registered