Down On The Border

Discussion in 'Tall Tales & Fabrications' started by Bill Boggs, Jan 12, 2019.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I met her at a restaurant on Lake Wichita, a club actually, a rather swanky joint with entertainers like Bob Wells and some of the more popular country western musicians of that day. I noticed this threesome because they were the only Mexican family in the restaurant. The restaurant did not usually cater to Mexicans.

As I ate my meal I watched couples on the large dance floor. When I had finished my meal and my table was cleared, I got up and walked over to their table and asked the gentleman, whom assumed to be her dad, if I might dance with his daughter. If I was wrong, no is about all he could say.

To my surprise he said, “If she agrees.”

I turned to her and said, “May have this dance . I’d be honored.”

She looked at her mother, hesitated, smiled, rose from her chair and we danced and talked. She said her name was Delores Castillo, they were visiting from Presidio, her father had business here to conclude. She lived on a rather large ranch and she taught school in Presidio. I told her I had recently been discharged from the army, was working for a pipeline company working with explosives. When I walked her back to her table her father said,

“I see you are alone here, would you care to join us?”

I would and I went back to my table, picked up my jacket, left a tip and joined the Castillo family. After a few minutes of polite conversation, Mia leaned over in my direction ducked her head and picked up her scarf from the floor and whispered, you might asked my mother to dance.

Briefly shocked, I arose and said, “Sir, with your permission,” and I asked Mrs. Castillo if she would dance with me. She rose, looked at her husband and said, “Rafael,” as though she were asking permission, and we walked out on the dance floor. Her name is Maria, she danced divinely but said she didn’t dance often because her husband lad a difficult limp in one leg. A horse had fallen on him years ago and left him in a bad way. When the dance ended she hesitated so we stayed on the dance floor and danced the next number.

He asked about my work. I told him I worked for a pipeline company out of Odessa, Texas and when we got to the Red River, which should be in the next few weeks because we were between Bowie and Nocona, a Tulsa pipeline company would take over the line and we would go back to Odessa and see where we went next.

He asked the company I worked for and I told him, Specialty Pipelines. He said, we must go but if you’re down our way, look us up. We’d be pleased to see you. I said, “Thanks, I will, and I thanked the ladies for a wonderful evening.

Six weeks later and back in Odessa, rumor was circulating about two new jobs. One fort a gas pipeline over in Carlsbad, New Mexico, the other a new gas pipeline to Presidio, Texas I told the boss if the rumors were true, I would like to be on the Presidio pipeline. He asked why, and I said no real reason except I might step across the border now and then. They had a large girls town. He said ok but we’ve bid the job; but haven’t gotten it. I hoped we did. I could still see those beautiful eyes of a girl named Mia.

To be continued…

Last edited: Jan 12, 2019
  2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Please continue.

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Bill - please tell us the next episode :)

4. Bill Boggs

Registered

Because I dinn't finish my editing before I lost my EDIT button, it is re written. See below:

Down On The Border

I met her at a restaurant on Lake Wichita, a club actually, a rather swanky joint with entertainers like Bob Wells and some of the more popular country western musicians of that day. I noticed this threesome because they were the only Mexican family in the restaurant. The restaurant did not usually cater to Mexicans.

As I ate my meal I watched couples on the large dance floor. When I had finished my meal and my table was cleared, I got up and walked over to their table and asked the gentleman, whom assumed to be her dad, if I might dance with his daughter. If I was wrong, no is about all he could say.

To my surprise he said, “If she agrees.”

I turned to her and said, “May have this dance.”

She looked at her mother, hesitated, smiled, rose from her chair and we danced and talked. She said her name was Delores Castillo, they were visiting from Presidio, her father had business here to conclude. She lived on a rather large ranch and she taught school in Presidio. I told her I was working for a pipeline company working with explosives, out of Odessa. When I walked her back to her table her father said,

“I see you are alone here, would you care to join us?”

I would and I went back to my table, picked up my jacket, left a tip and joined the Castillo family. After a few minutes of polite conversation, Mia leaned over in my direction ducked her head and picked up her scarf from the floor and whispered, you might asked my mother to dance.

Briefly shocked, I arose and said, “Sir, with your permission,” and I asked Mrs. Castillo if she would dance with me. She rose, looked at her husband and said, “Rafael,” as though she were asking permission, and we walked out on the dance floor. Her name is Maria, she danced divinely but said she didn’t dance often because her husband lad a difficult limp in one leg. A horse had fallen on him years ago and left him in a bad way. When the dance ended she hesitated so we stayed on the dance floor and danced the next number.

He asked about my work. I told him I worked for a pipeline company out of Odessa, Texas and we should be finished in a few weeks down here because we were working north of Bowie. A Tulsa pipeline company would take over construction at the Red River, and we would then go back to Odessa and see where we went next.

He asked the company I worked for and I told him, Specialty Pipelines. Shortly he said, we must go but if you are down our way, look us up. We’d be pleased to see you. I said, “Thanks, I will.” Mia smiled and whispered, “When you get back to Odessa or happen down our way, call me.” I nodded, thanked the ladies for a wonderful evening and said good night.

Six weeks later and back in Odessa, rumor was circulating about two new jobs. One for a gas line over in Carlsbad, New Mexico, the other a new gas line to Balmorhea with a smaller line on down to Presidio or Marathon. I told the boss if the rumors were true, I would like to be on the Presidio pipeline. He asked why, and I said no real reason except I might step across the border now and then. They had a large girls town. He said ok but we’ve only bid the job; but no response yet. I hoped we did. I could still see those beautiful eyes of a girl named Delores.

Pipelining is hard work. You are laying pipe along side where a ditch will be dug, digging a ditch with a digger for a pipe three men can’t pick one end. A side boom picks up the joint of steel pipe and situations in the ditch in such a way the joint can screwed together. Coming along behind all this is a bucket that covers the pipe.

My usual job is to go ahead of the crew along the right of way surveyors have marked, and rid the route of any obstructions that would interfere with digging an easy ditch. It's not that simple but basically that's it. If it is hard ground and there is rock or trees along the right of way that will interfere, I'm the guy who clears the obstructions.

It should be easy going from Odessa to Fort Stockton. The weather permitting we'd go to work early and work late so if we were shut down a day or two by weather or tough digging we could stay inside our deadline. Nevertheless, at day's end I would eat my supper and hit the sack hoping I would dream of Delores.

As the days wore on and we got closer to Presidio I began to think of all the things I had heard of Mexican girls, eager, warm blooded creatures who enjoyed a good time. In the evens I'd drive into Presidio eat a late meal. While I ate I'd go through the phone book. I looked up Delores and finally found the school where she taught. In two or three days the pipeline would be finished. I wanted to see her, dance with her again, hold her close, and who knows where this could lead.

It was Friday afternoon. The pipeline was finished. We were almost a week ahead of schedule. I checked to see when school was out, when the teachers actually got off, and I drove to the school. I was waiting outside her classroom. Another gent was sitting a short distance down the hallway, probably another teacher. I heard her heels on the floor and got my first look at her since that dinner, when she opened the door. She looked at me uncertainly.

I said, "Hello Delores. Remember me? We had dinner on the lake and your dad invited me down. I was hoping we could have dinner."

Delores said, Oh, I hadn't expected you.“ And then, "Of course I remember.” “No, We can't have dinner, Come and meet my friend, as she gestured toward the tall gent down the hall who had risen and was walking to meet her.

She looked at me and asked, "What was your name?" As he walked up to us, she said, "This is Juan Hernandez, an old family friend. We're just on the way into the interior to visit Juan's parents.

I smiled at Juan, saying good to see you. I smiled at Delores and said, "Of course, it's the weekend, have a good time."

I walked out of the school and after some effort found my car and drove back to the construction site. What on earth have I been thinking, certainly not thinking with my head. How could I be so naive? So thinking I was something special. So like a puppy.

The boss and a couple of fellow employees were about to head into town to get a motel room, clean up, and get some dinner. I tagged along but thinking, I'm getting tired of pipelining. Think I'll draw my pay and go see what's happening out where the sun sets.

5. Shirley Martin

Registered

"Ships that pass in the night."

This is a metaphoric expression, which is a very common saying intended to refer to those people who encounter only for a short period, share just a few words, and then separate to continue their way and never see each other again.

Patsy Faye, Bill Boggs and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Bill Boggs

Registered

Yes, some in rough waters. Thanks for reading.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Registered

The saddest words of tongue or pen are these; it might have been.

Patsy Faye and Bill Boggs like this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Lovely story Bill... but I'm confused..Mia or Dolores?

9. Shirley Martin

Registered

Mia was Dolores' twin sister. It was she that the writer met in Wichita. Dolores told her that he was in town. She raced to where he was and they rode off into the sunset where she fulfilled his wildest fantasies.

riding into the sunset.jpg

I just love happy endings. Don't you? :D

10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

:D:D:D:D

11. Bill Boggs

Registered

I forgot what I was writing about and what I had put on here . Sorry, got my stories mixed up, mixed up some names..

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The sisters names were Titanic and Olympic.........one sank, the other scrapped! Not a pretty sight!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019
    Bill Boggs likes this.
  13. Bill Boggs

Registered

There you go; that's what I meant to say, Joe. Sorry Holly.

Joe Riley likes this.
  14. Bill Boggs

Registered

@Patsy Faye
    Okay, here it is, Tell me, is this a short Flash story or merely a scene from a longer story,
    or perhaps both?

The Mexican Posse

He walked down the dusty street from the livery to the saloon. The dust whirled in the street. His hand rested on the butt of his gun which rested in his Mexican styled holster. The street was quite, the shops were quite. No one going in or out. There were no horses tied at the saloon. Where was everybody? Watching him from behind dusty windows, no doubt. This town was like a dozen others he knew from Dodge City down to El Paso. Recently he had been running, trying to lose a posse dogging his trail.

He didn’t think they would follow him so far or so long. He had given them the slip. Even if they found him, he’s make his stand. He was good, he knew it and lawmen all over knew it. They would not brace him.

It’s true he had robbed their bank and had shot a teller. If the darn fool had not tried to pull a derringer he’d still be alive. He had not wanted to hurt anybody. It was bad luck, that’s all. Something was wrong, the town was too quite. He had ridden into town minutes before noon. The place should be thriving. No one stirred on the street. There was no traffic. Even the saloon appeared empty.

They would no doubt come for him but let them come. He would take care of them as he had done in the past. Posses down here in southern New Mexico were usually made up of Mexican low life, led by some sheriff who had stayed in office so long he would struggle to draw his heavy pistol. He would show them. His hand still on his gun he started for the saloon when he saw movement in the alley, a lone individual.

“Drop your gun and raise your hands, Senior, you are surrounded,” the lone Mexicano said softly.

Surrounded? A lone man with no gun. This was a game he knew well and he crouched and drew his gun.

A dozen Mexicanos cut him down.

Patsy Faye and Joe Riley like this.
  15. Bill Boggs

Registered

That looks like a cover on one of Vivian Sinclair's or Jodi Thomas' western Romance novels, perhaps not.They both do it up good.

Joe Riley likes this.