Downtime

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 28, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you were on earlier tonight, or tried to access the forum, I apologize for the downtime. No, despite the notice that was displayed indicating that the account was suspended, I was not late with my server bill. My hosting company was acquired by another hosting company and, although I had just made my annual payment on April 24, it was not attributed to my account since it was an automatic payment through PayPal, and the new company hadn't matched it with my account. At least, that seems to be what happened. In order to get the site back up, I made a monthly payment on top of the annual payment that wasn't matched with my account, and I'm sure that I can work the rest of it out with the billing department. What was my fault was that I hadn't checked my email, as those notices are going to an email that I don't use much anymore. Anyhow, we should be good now.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson I am so glad, and relieved, after getting the nasty full-screen display which explained nothing, contributing to my paranoid first reaction that I had been banned, or something similar! Immediately, I sent emails to those few members to which I can, asking if they knew what was going on. Obviously, even when one has a spotless payment record (as I suspect you likely do), a "glitch" always throws the spotlight of doubt upon the beholden to the system.

Thanks for explaining to us! Frank

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for the explanation. I'm so glad to see seniorsonly.club up and running all the time. Coming to this forum is like seeing an old friend. Every time you see an old friend you're very happy to see someone you know...learn what's new and sometimes learn something.

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I missed the whole thing...sounds like a "Gags to Gliches" story! Thanks for doing all this, Ken!;)
    [​IMG]

5. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I got that Account Suspended notice late last night and was baffled. Thanks for letting us know what happened, Ken.

6. Ken Anderson

On October 1, congress gave the Internet over to the United Nations, so the Internet that was paid for by the United States taxpayers is now under the control of the United Nations.

I knew this. What I didn't know was that they were going to require everyone to verify that emails used in domain registrations were still valid and, since I don't generally use my gmail account, I hadn't checked it in a while. This was never required, previously.

When someone contacts me through the forum, I also get a copy to my kenanderson.net email account, so I have been answering them from there, but the domain verification emails were not forwarded.

I have verified the domain but it is possible that some people may still be unable to connect for a period of time that could last as long as forty-eight hours. The Internet does not propagate all at once so, while some of you have been able to connect to the forum for a while now, I have just now been able to.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2016
  7. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks, wondering what was going on.

8. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

The control has started the UN is now in charge.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Yes, and probably because of this, it looks like I am going to lose every domain that I have that uses a .us extension. I have about fifteen or twenty of those that I haven't done much with, but have been renewing every year for the past few years. Only now, I had a couple that were about to expire but, when I paid for the renewal, it took my money but I received a message saying that it wouldn't be renewed until I had verified my email and that I resided within the United States. I have never received that email. Unless they are taking a horrendously long period of time to process payments, which were automatic and immediate while still in U.S. hands, it doesn't look like it will go through.

I fear that this is only the beginning of the problems we will see with an Internet in the hands of the United Nations. It won't be long before whatever they deem as hate speech will be unable to exist online, and sites whose message they disagree with will be removed from the Internet. By the way, there were very few votes against handing the Internet over to the United Nations. Thank you for looking out for us, congress.

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

How much did Gore get, for the Internet?;)
    [​IMG]

Ina I. Wonder and Martin Alonzo like this.
  11. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes I couldn't sign in. Thought you didn't like me for a minute. Then used my sensible head. The forum is great by the way :cool:

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

What a shock we all had this morning , for sure ! I woke up to finding messages from @Chrissy Page and also @Sheldon Scott , asking what happened. Checked it out myself, and got the same error messages about the domain name.
    Asked Chrissy if she had messaged Ken. She hadn't; so to be safe, I messaged both Ken and MIchelle to let them know and see what was happening.
    MIchelle advised me that Ken was working on things to get the forum up and working again, and I relayed the message on to Chrissy and Sheldon.
    Happily, our Tech-Whiz forum owner soon had everything back up and running right again, so we could all wish each other a happy morning like we usually do.
    Obviously....... we all LOVE our little forum ! !

13. Ken Anderson

Actually, I was having panic attacks here. Apparently, when I recently updated the OS on my iMac it removed my saved logins for both my email and the hosting company where I had registered the domain, so I could neither validate the domain or reach the hosting company. Eventually, I was able to recover them, and it took only about a half hour. Then, there was a long wait before I could actually connect to the forum.

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

When I messaged @Yvonne Smith it was around 5 a.m.PT....then we talked for awhile and were waiting for you to respond to your message from her....this was already 6 PT so 9:00 a.m. EST...we concluded you're a night owl.

Then I read on that notice that it could take 24-48 hrs to get it back so I was ready for a boring day but a little after getting on the SHTF, lol.

15. Ken Anderson

My wife goes to bed later than I do. I generally go to bed about midnight and get up anytime between 8 am and 10 am, usually about halfway between the two, but sometimes earlier. However, I don't usually get on the computer right away. I do dishes upstairs, empty the cat's litter boxes, feed the cats, and take out the compost before getting online. Often, I'll make a trip to the store first.

Chrissy Cross likes this.