Driver's License Requirements

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Ken Anderson, Nov 9, 2020.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

What are the driver's license requirements for seniors in your state? In Maine, people 65 and older have to renew their license every four years, and have to take an eye test on each renewal, as opposed to renewing the license online, as can be done if you're under the age of 65. Younger people don't have to renew their license as often, and they can do so online.

However, perhaps a benefit of the virus scare, when I renewed my license, although I am 69 years old, I was able to do so online (no eye exam) and it's good for six years.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

License Renewal For Senior Drivers. Texas drivers who are 79 years of age or older at the time their current driver license expires are generally required to renew their license in person at a local DOT office. Drivers over 85 years of age can only renew it for a 2-year period. Texas also allows you to renew the license online.

Ron Simpson and Ken Anderson like this.
  3. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

NY has nothing particularly pertaining to seniors. License renewal every eight years with an Eye Exam.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I had to check. There doesn't seem to be any different requirements for seniors. It says if you are over 64 you have to take an eye exam, but on another page it says everyone has to take an eye exam. Maybe it's a more stringent exam. You just look through a little machine.

The license lasts for 8 years. I'm surprised it isn't shorter for seniors.

Normally only a few special cases can do it online, but they are making exceptions this year because of Covid-19. You still have to send in a verified eye exam.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

It has been my experience that an eye exam is required at each license renewal which is every four years. From a Google search I found the following.

It is the only state (Ohio) to require drivers 75 or older to take a road test at renewal, which is every four years for those 75 to 80, every two years for those 81 to 86, and every year for those 87 or older.

6. Nancy Hart

Registered

I'm glad I don't live in Ohio anymore. I'd be so nervous on a drivers test. Do they still ask you to parallel park? :p I can count on one hand the number of times I've parallel parked.

Beth Gallagher and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Geez.....I wonder if I will be able to cheat and afford one of those cars that can parallel park all by themselves.......

8. Ken Anderson

Except in driver's training, when they offered it in high school, I have never taken a road test. When I went for my license, it was raining and the guy didn't want to go out in the rain, so he just signed it off, and I've never had to take the driving part of a driver's exam for renewals or even moving from one state to another.

9. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

After a near war over long waits (sometimes all day!) at DMV locations, Arizona instituted a "lifetime" drivers' license, back in the '90s. Good till age 65, renewed then for 7 or 8 years thereafter.

Frank

Ron Simpson and Ken Anderson like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

When I first moved to California in the 1970s, there were lines around the block at the DMV office.

John Brunner and Frank Sanoica like this.
  11. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I got a renewal for my auto insurance and they had my wife listed as a driver. Her license expired in 2018 and with her blindness and the fact that she hadn't driven for many years at that point she just let it go. So I contacted the agent and they said she needs to turn in her old license so that they have "proof" that she's not driving.......Your really can't make this stuff up.

12. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

i got my drivers licence on line--they asked me how long i wanted it for and i said 8 years and got it---i am 87--the only thing i had to have is-
    regular eye check up-i couldnt get a check up with my regular doctor so i went to walmart and the day i went back to have my glasses fitted the dr wasnt even their--the girl gave me my glasses and i cant even see out of them-i took them because my licence was about to run out--

13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

No parallel parking. It's called the maneuverability exercise now. Similar to parallel parking you must end up in a designated spot set between two cones forward and reverse. You fail the test by hitting the cones too many times, knocking over the cones, or not ending up in the designated spot. This is even before the road test.

14. Nancy Hart

Registered

:D

Thank you. I had to see it. More like a Walmart parking test, than parallel parking. Makes more sense.

VIDEO

I don't know if they require that here or not. I just transferred my previous license.

Von Jones likes this.
  15. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

The same here with my husband but I told them he had already turned in his DL. They found it in the system but they still have him listed but as a non-driver. That doesn't sit well with me that they are keeping him on the policy. I don't understand that. I feel that I may still be paying a higher premium because of it.