Early Dog Names

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Hal Pollner, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was a young boy, I recall that dogs were named: Rover, Shep, Rex, Spot, and King.
    I also recall that I could recognize 3 breeds by name: Police Dog, Bulldog, and Collie.
    That's how I saw dogs in the period from 1939 to roughly 1944.

Hal

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2019
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

We had a German Shepherd ( Alsation) called King when I was around 14 or so..until he died when I was in my 20's.. we also had a bitch called '' Lady''...

Now.. my daughter who until this past year had 7 dogs of her own, only one of them had a macho sounding dog name (Zeus ) a Doberman ..the rest all have fancy names

3. Hal Pollner

Registered

Thank you, Holly!

Some may be shocked at the term "bitch", but the AKC and other canine organizations use it in reference to the Female dog.

Both our "Barbie" and our "Jackie" are bitches.

Hal

Last edited: Dec 16, 2019
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Precisely , my daughter is a qualified dog trainer, groomer and owner of boarding kennels... and no-one should be taking offence at the term bitch because that's the name for a female dog.. :)

Micki Pembroke and Lois Winters like this.
  5. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I love the name "Sport" for a dog.

Micki Pembroke and Bess Barber like this.
  6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

We never had what would be considered a 'traditional' dog name for our dogs. Big Boy is the dog we grew up with. Another name 'Red' who was so black when the sun hit him just right his hair looked red. He didn't last long broke through a window pane and ran away. We had pups Good and Plenty were their names which I named. I think they were stolen.

Bess Barber and Lois Winters like this.
  7. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

We bought a Husky pup that was from show stock. I was her alpha male. Named her Kiona. We matched her with a Husky that was from racing stock. Judy ended up helping her deliver 9 pups all except one of which were black and white. There was 1 bruiser who we named big guy because he was twice the size of the others. I made them oatmeal for breakfast every day in a big stainless steel bowl. We ended up selling all the pups except one, a female, that we named Cassiopia(Cassie for short). She became Judy's BFF.

8. Hal Pollner

Registered

I recall an ad for a missing dog...it read:

Missing dog, medium size, mixed breed, blind in one eye, left ear missing, walks with a limp,
    answers to the name "Lucky"....Reward.

Hal

9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Since I grew up on a farm, we always had dogs. Usually they were hunting dogs... pointer, retriever, etc. I remember my Grandpa's favorite hunting dog was called Mack.

As far as old-timey names, I had a little Yorkie in the early 2000's named Spike. Here's my little tough guy; he was such a smart little thing...

Biker dog.jpg

My daughter dressed him in the leather jacket, haha.

10. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Liberace might be a good name for a dog that piddles more than normal because he’s the Peeanist dog around.

11. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

We had several dogs growing up, but the favorite was a schnauzer named 'Snuffy' ....after the cartoon character Snuffy Smith.

Micki Pembroke and Lois Winters like this.
  12. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

Have only had dogs in my adult, starting the year 1990, a sheltie with a name...Jassie. After we had to say goodbye :( came another sheltie...Tory at 15 months old, then 2 months later a sheltie puppy...Tia at 12 weeks, always said after Jassie, will have 2, thought it's good to have play buddies. Sadly after only 9 years old, had to once again say goodbye, to Tory :(. Then came along my corgi...Micki. Tory, Tia and Micki came with their names, didn't see a reason to change them, as well these three also had registered names...Tory - Miskaylas Cherished Tradition. Tia - Padonas Peek A Boo. Micki - Quittude Affairs Of State, isn't that a royal name to live up to..lol...she takes the name and status very seriously. lol. :D:p:D:p:D.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Micki Pembroke

Registered

Oops, missed one, :rolleyes:. After having to go through the goodbye again with Tia at 13 1/2 years :(. Another sheltie...Noah, registered name of You're All I Need. Sadly, as time will go on, departing will decrease my family numbers, as i'll be too old for any more loved ones.

14. Micki Pembroke

Registered

Oops again. How could i forget my sweet little girl of 13+ years. She had a number when we got her, gave her the name....Shaalee. How i came up with the name....i have no idea. I could have just stated their names, but me being me, had to make a short story long. If any of you got bored with my story and fell asleep, i'll take credit for your nap, since i probably sent you there from being bored. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

15. Hal Pollner

Registered

A neighbor family recently adopted a dog from an animal rescue shelter. They named him "Egypt" because he left a pyramid
    in every room.

Hal