Early This Morning

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Frank Sanoica, Jul 25, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife stayed in bed, complained of having had stomach pain since 3AM, it was by then about 8AM. Then finally, it started to drizzle, most welcome after 8-10 weeks of parching heat.

At 11AM, she called our Doctor, seeking advice; he was closed for lunch. At noon, she asked me to take her to the ER. This lady, who NEVER complains of issues like pain, was hurting, I could see. 99.6 degree temperature.

All afternoon we observed tests, a CAT scan was done, several bags of Glucose solution were run into both arms. Imaging results brought 3 bags of antibiotics, which took 2 hours to go in.

Concensus was Appendicitis. The Surgeon, who requested consultation over the scan, was busy all afternoon in his clinic. He showed up at 6PM, outlined two choices: See if antibiotics knock out the infection, with risk of recurrence and possible rupture of her appendix, or surgery to remove it now. She and I concurred on the latter. Dr. asked if we had any other questions. Of course I asked: Do you know that the appendix is the cause? He replied No. Not until he sees it, but felt the scan showed enough evidence. They then wheeled her to Surgery. Had never been in a hospital before.

She should be well out of surgery now at 8PM, maybe close to release from Recovery, where they told me I would not be permitted. I am going back there now, about 15 minutes from home. No Smart phone, I came home to inform my nephew, and of course you folks. When it rains here, it pours.......
    Frank

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Wow ! that is shocking and a terrible thing for both your wife and you to have to go through, and unexpectedly. It is a good thing that you were close enough to get her to the ER in time, and if she is in recovery, then the surgery must have went well.
    Prayers for both of you for a speedy recovery for your wife.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  3. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm so sorry your Misses is going through so much pain. I do hope the doctors are correct in that it is appendicitis, and not something else that could drag on for a long period of time. At least you caught it before it burst.

It's a good thing that you have the time to baby her for a few days. Whether she needs it or not, your wife sounds as if she could use a bit of pampering, and a few days off work.

Please give her my good wishes for her speedy recovery. :)

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry to hear that Frank, I hope and pray for a speedy recovery. unusual for me have a tad of insomnia,so am
    am catching up on some reading here. Keep us posted.

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Same here...I'm never on at this time.

Speedy recovery and well wishes for your wife @Frank Sanoica!

My daughter had her appendix out when she was 9. We got her to emergency as it had just ruptured. Thought it was just a bad stomach ache with her as she was prone to them and it wasn't our first visit to ER because of them.

She spent almost 10 days in the hospital at that time.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2017
    Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Chrissy Cross "She spent almost 10 days in the hospital at that time."

Incredibly amazed I was, my wife called me less than 2 hours after I had watched them wheel her to surgery! I thought, at first, something called it off, but no, she was in her room! She sounded almost chipper, though "tired" filtered through. The surgery was over. I had been just walking out the door, having finished my OP above. Can you imagine, she asked me to bring her shampoo? She looked far better than she had in the ER. Still hooked up to 2 IVs, but happily (relatively) watching TV when I walked in. My usual bravado melted as I saw her lying there, almost like nothing had happened.

This was all taking place only a few hours after invasive surgery. I remarked about how astounded I was by today's medical abilities, compared to the way I remembered them as a younger person. Keep in mind, my only hospital experience was 70 years ago, age 5, Tonsils removed. They used Ether, stank awfully on the breath afterwards, nauseating, couldn't begin to think about eating. Wife said nurse said she could have some chicken broth if she liked, but turned down her request for a cheeseburger!

I am elated, of course. But cautious. They did not say when she might come home; I can understand that. No doubt, the first hours after surgery must be closely watched.

Ummm, the "balls" in the family are clearly revealed by such an event.
    Frank

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter was born in 1971 so her surgery was a long time ago also. :). @Frank Sanoica.

Things were different back then but I think she was in for 10 days because it ruptured...would only have been a week maybe if it hadn't.

She also had/has an ugly scar there which she always complains about....don't know why it ended up so ugly but she won't wear a low cut bikini but then she's the type that wouldn't anyway even though she's got a great figure.

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Good news Frank !
    Hope her recovery goes very well

9. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

gall bladder for me. felt like a knife in my back. was i glad to get rid of it

Frank Sanoica and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm glad she is OK, @Frank Sanoica . Since this was posted yesterday, she is probably home by now. I hope she heals quickly and is pain free.

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

How is your wife doing today Frank ?

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Gloria Mitchell
    She has had severe pain in her neck and shoulders (??) since the surgery, lessened today 3 days after. Her sister claimed that stemmed from the fact that they introduce gas under pressure into the abdominal cavity. I couldn't see the connection to the shoulders. Wife searched, found that certain muscle relaxants used during anesthesia cause this. Then, today, a nurse piped up about the gas idea! Dunno.

The abdomen has no pain. She quit the hydrocodone yesterday, mainly because she felt little relieving effect, and it also contains acetaminophen (NSAID). Don't understand them combining the two, except to spare the hydr content maybe.
    Frank

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  13. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am glad to hear that your wife is recovering, @Frank Sanoica , and hopefully the neck and shoulder pain will subside, too. Part of it might be the position they had her lying in when she was on the operating table. I have had pain in my back all week, although it is getting better each day. I am thinking that it is from how they had me lying when they performed the procedure, plus the table is very hard, and the whole room is freezing cold, all of that leading to muscle pain.
    I think that the anesthetic also can take a while to get out of the system after an operation, and it probably is part of the problems as well.
    I know how happy I was having @Bobby Cole looking after me when i came back home, and I am sure that your wife is really appreciating you taking care of her, too. Keep up the good work, Frank !

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

What an ordeal! Glad she is recovering. One never knows when something like this can happen.