Easter Sunday

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Ruby Begonia, Mar 19, 2016.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Anyone celebrating? If so, would you share your plans?

Mari North likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, going to my daughter's, leaving here saturday morning because they are away for a week, drove to Palm Springs and Santa Barbara for the boys spring break. Anyway, we are going to Easter Brunch at their country club.

We always do an Easter Brunch somewhere.
    Got to find something to wear....

3. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I might go to Easter Vigil Saturday night. I will be having dinner with friends at a friend's home Easter Sunday.

Older GS having dinner with his mother, etc. Younger GS is working. I rarely made a meal for Easter over the years, somehow it was always Thanksgiving and often Christmas for me, but not Easter.

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I did make Easter meals and colored eggs, the whole thing. So do my children with the egg coloring but not so much the older ones anymore. Also Easter egg hunts and things like that.

Now it depends where I am at Easter, older grandsons or younger grandsons on how much is involved. I do send the younger ones an Easter gift.

5. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Nothing these days, used to do the egg hunts and painted eggs etc., but now it just comes and goes like any other day. :rolleyes:

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Mine hasn't dwindled down to nothing yet, and on rare occasions we make it to an Easter mass also. My daughter and family do belong to a Catholic Church. :)

Ruby Begonia and Terry Page like this.
  7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

If my car was in better shape, I'd be going to Easter Mass. I will probably watch it on television. I have a ham steak and will make that with some pineapple and veggies. In case anyone would like to make a palm cross, here are the instructions. Happy Palm Sunday! palm crosses how to make.jpg palm_crosses.jpg

palm crosses how to make.jpg

8. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks @Diane Lane that brings back many memories I remember making those at school :)

9. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for the instructions Diane. I might give it a try. No shortage of palm trees/leaves here.;)
    Sounds like a nice weekend project.

I'm thinking about going to Easter service on Sunday morning. I will have my oldest daughter here for a few days, as she is helping me watch her two nieces as Mom & Dad take a vacation trip out West.
    We will color/hide easter eggs for the girls, and have a ham dinner in the afternoon.

10. Diane Lane

Registered

You're welcome, @Terry Page! I love palm. I tried making them before, but that was before I found the instructions.

@Bonnie Thomas That sounds like a nice celebration :). There's usually palm blowing around the street here, but my neighbor had his palm cut way back, so I haven't seen any lately. I have one in the backyard that's not doing all that great, but the fronds are different than what's typically given in church. If I go walking this week, I'll snatch some from the woods.

11. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

Shame that you aren't closer to me ... I have 8 large palms lining the backyard fence.

12. Diane Lane

Registered

Wow, that's a lot of palms for a residence, right up my alley! There are quite a few here, so if I make it down by the post office/Dairy Queen area, I can snag some there, or from the woods where I walk on the trails. I loved when it would blow down the street, because I'd tell myself it was a sign from Heaven.

Ruby Begonia and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  13. Bonnie Thomas

Registered

OK, I've now made about half a dozen palm crosses. .:)
    ... the dimensions are important.
    It will be a nice project for bored kids later in the week .... it won't matter that Palm Sunday is past..

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  14. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Have any of you ever been to Easter Vigil the night before Easter? It's incredibly beautiful. Everyone leaves the church to go outside for a prayer. Then, as you go back in, everyone picks up a lit candle. When everyone is re-seated, the entire church is illuminated by these candles.

At my first and only Vigil, I was seated near the front. I turned around and gasped when I saw all the candles in the church and up in the choir loft. It was a sight!

The priest sang the entire service. In English.

Terry Page and Bonnie Thomas like this.
  15. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I did buy a box of Paas and extra jumbo eggs this year. I'll color the eggs myself and give them away, the ones that don't turn into egg salad that is.

When I was young, my mother roasted a leg of lamb for Easter. She's put it in the oven before Mass. We usually had peas and mashed potatoes.

Bonnie Thomas likes this.