Egg Fast

Discussion in 'Diets & Dieting' started by Frank Sanoica, Mar 29, 2019.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Monday, my wife started a new diet scheme, forgive the term if you will, (I cannot convince her calories in = calories out constitutes no weight change in the long run.

This deal is named "Egg Fast". Since KETO has essentially failed to give her satisfaction, EF is a newcomer taking it's place. Yesterday, after 3 days, she showed me her print-out delineating each and every meal and snack for 1 week.

I asked her how many calories she has consumed daily: she said 1000 mostly, and less than 1200. Believes she is insufficient in protein at 40g daily, but has lost 4lb. in 3 days. I made only limited comment: "how do you feel, are you hungry a lot, weak, anything else"? No.

Her meals have been based on eggs, laced with cream cheese, hot sauce, other stuff I ain't aware of. I've looked at them, the quantity is rather meager (no surprise), and would fail to satisfy my "gut". She claims no hunger pangs, believes high fat eating kills those. I dunno.

Anyone hear of this concept? It goes one week only. Then what?

I dare not ask.

Frank

2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica: Reminds me a little of the the hard boiled egg and grapefruit diet in the 60's. But it went on for more than a week.

Fat, protein and complex carbs keep you from feeling hungry. They take longer to digest.

I too believe it's all in the calories. The only "difference" in calories is whether the food containing them digests slowly, or not. And all that amounts to is whether you feel hungry or not. I believe all calories are the same as far as weight loss. You could lose weight on Snickers bars or lettuce. Doesn't matter.

Maybe you take a week off and then go back on it.

3. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Frank...
    What worries me is the loss of 4 pounds in 3 days..... Way too fast !!!
    At that rate, she will NEVER keep the weight off permanently.. There must be some sort of food plan forever rather than a fad diet...
    Fad diets don't work................ food plans do work....
    When she stops, she will gain all the weight back with interest.....

Meantime, all the best in her endeavour...

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Losing weight on the Snicker Bar Diet
    by Emily Jones

"A sucker for every new diet scheme that travels down the pike, I finally found one I thought was brilliant. It’s called “The No S Diet,” and in a nutshell it means no snacks, no sweets, and no seconds except on days beginning with an S."

"My thoughts immediately drifted to Snickers Bars! The concept would allow unlimited feasting when the sun rises on Saturdays." (Continue)

[​IMG]

"Hard as I tried to make it so, there’s no Smonday, Stuesday, Swednesday etc. on the calendar. Only on Saturday and Sunday can you have anything you want, but hey! That’s better than never."

Here’s a palatable substitute:

A craveable candy bar you can make at home.
    Serves 1

Ingredients
    • 1.5 Tbs. oatmeal
    • 2 Tbs. Grape-Nuts cereal
    • 1 Tbs. peanut butter
    • 1 package unsweetened hot chocolate
    • 1 1/2 or 2 tablespoons water
    Instructions
    1. Mix all ingredients in a bowl
    2. Shape into a bar and freeze one hour or longer

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Dunno. But, she might want to amp up her protein count a little bit. For sedentary women the rule of thumb is about 45 grams per day and for men about 55. I personally take in around 200 but I use it in and out of the gym where the rule is around 1 gram of protein per pound of lean body weight.

So far as the egg thing goes, there is a continual argument in studies about how many eggs one should consume in a day. One country says 3 (the U.K. I believe) and another says 6 and I think the U.S. study says eat all you want. Or maybe that’s Canada.
    One of the largest concerns is the amount of protein a person can handle. The byproduct of protein is ammonia which can cross over the brain blood barrier and cause some serious grief so too much protein can be a no-no.
    The other byproduct of eating too many eggs is pretty obvious if one is in the same room as the person eating too many eggs for an extended period of time. Elevators are particularly dangerous for people who eat too many eggs or maybe just the people riding with that person.

As @Steve North said, 4 pounds in 3 days is a lot of weight to lose so quickly but then again, some four years ago I was very literally drowning in water weight and when I started losing it I lost nearly 10 lbs in a week. Nowadays I shuffle between 231 to 236 on a daily basis with no worries.

All that said, I definitely do wish her the very best of luck.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

But, what exactly is the boiled egg diet, and is it right for you?

"If you're not someone who could survive for a period of time on a juice diet and you're not interested in a cleanse, the boiled egg diet might be the best of both worlds. You get the ability to re-set your body and who doesn't love the idea of breakfast all the time?"

[​IMG]

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

"She claims no hunger pangs, believes high fat eating kills those. I dunno."

@Frank Sanoica , she is right about fat killing the hunger. I think that is why the low carb eating plan works so well. Notice I didn't say diet. A diet implies that you are going to only be on it until you lose weight. You can be satisfied eating low carb for the rest of your life. That is not to say no carb. You can eat healthy carbs and even some desserts as long as you don't overdo it.

She does need to be eating green leafy vegetables to get the nutrients she needs.

9. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 29, 2019
  10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I have mentioned the Prevention Diet in a previous post, but I can find no mention of it now (last time I looked). It was published in Prevention magazine shortly after it started publication in the 1970s or early 80s. It was a lifestyle plan as well a diet. It balanced Ghrellin-Leptin by having you eat dessert first (a BIG plus). The meal started with a small dessert, and a rich pudding was recommended. This was followed by a small main meal of protein and veggies, and the meal ended with a fresh salad--all you could eat with a simple oil and vinegar dressing. The idea was that the pudding started the satiety process but there is a 30 minute lag between a protein and fat-containing food and the decrease in ghrellin. By the time that time had passed, you were into the salad. You were always to shop for groceries on Saturday morning after a meat and egg breakfast, and you were not to purchase food during the week. You were allowed to have anything in the house if you could eat just one and stop, so if you could eat one pretzel or potato chip and stop, they were allowed in your house; if not, they were banned. It was a fascinating idea, but I myself had no weight issues when it was published and was an avid backpacker and hiker.

11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

12. Shirley Martin

Registered

@Don Alaska , "You were allowed to have anything in the house if you could eat just one and stop, so if you could eat one pretzel or potato chip and stop, they were allowed in your house; if not, they were banned."

You are kidding, aren't you? Bet you can't eat just one. :D

13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin

Why not?
    Frank

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Shirley Martin

Registered