El Chapo, Escaped Drug Lord, Has Been Recaptured, Mexican President Says

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ruby Begonia, Jan 8, 2016.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I had read in an article when El Chapo had escaped from his prison cell. It was quite impossible to get out of that high security prison but El Chapo was able to escape by digging a tunnel. What's worse was when the news broke out, the public was in jubilation. People say that the convicted drug lord is much better than the government because he cares for the poor and helps the needy people in their area. And now that El Chapo has been recaptured, I guess the government penitentiary should be re-designed to avoid a repeat of the escape.

3. Will Lawrence

Will Lawrence Veteran Member
    Registered

The article says he may be extradited to the U.S. to stand trial here. With the corruption in the Mexican government, it is assumed El Chapo will continue running his cartel from prison... and probably escape again. We won't hear a peep from Congress if El Chapo is extradited to the U.S. That decision will be left to be sorted out between the authorities in Mexico and the U.S. No matter where this billionaire drug cartel leader is held in the U.S. there will be attempts to break him out. OTOH, Congress makes a huge deal out of closing down Gitmo and transferring the remaining prisoners there to the U.S.

What about extraditing both El Chapo and the Affluenza Teen to the U.S. and let them share the same cell for a few weeks........

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Obama will probably appoint him to head the DEA.

Diane Lane and Martin Alonzo like this.
  5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

1. We're going to need some tall walls, and if it ever gets that far, someone needs to mention the tunneling problem as well. Is there a cap on the number of National Guard servicemen we can have? If not we're going to need to triple the amount we already have. Then we need to decide which border is the most needy. I know, I'm dreaming.

6. Gina Cobane

Gina Cobane Veteran Member
    Registered

I kind of doubt that.

7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

The latest I saw is that Mexico was planning to agree to extradition, which surprised me. At first they seemed against it. They usually are, especially if the death penalty is on the table, so maybe the U.S. government has agreed not to seek the death penalty in his case. I have also seen stories that his capture was somehow related to his interview with Sean Penn. From what I read, it sounded as if perhaps their communications were traced, and that's how El Chapo was located and captured.

8. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I wouldn't want to be Sean Penn right about now. Those kind of people, (El Chapo), do crazy things to people that they feel have in any way betrayed them. Although, I haven't heard anything concerning Penn's safety. What do you think?

Bonnie Thomas likes this.
  9. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I wouldn't want to be Sean Penn either. Bad spot to be in, and trouble ahead .... IMO

Ina I. Wonder and Joe Riley like this.