Energy Saving at Home

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Ruth Belena, Mar 3, 2015.

1. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

If I owned my home I would definitely want to have solar panels and use renewable energy. Unfortunately I have to pay a utility company for all my energy use. I don't like to waste resources and I want to keep my utility bills as low as possible.

I know a lot of people wear very little clothing indoors during winter, because they keep the home heated at such a high temperature. I would rather wear a few extra layers of clothing at home, rather than have the heating turned up high. I grew up in a house without central heating or double glazing. I remember how in winter I would often wake up to find a layer of ice on the inside of my bedroom window.

I switch electrical equipment off when not in use and I don't leave lights on in rooms that are not occupied.

Do you make an effort to save energy in your home?

Frank Sanoica and Priscilla King like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I live in Maine, so we pretty much have to. I live in one of the first houses that were built in Millinocket. As far as I can determine, the place was built as a boarding house for some of the first mill workers, since the mill was here before the town. When we bought it, the building was a three-unit apartment building. We converted it into a home, but it's large and it's old; not old like some houses are old, but I found a 1910 postcard that showed our street and, at that time, it was dirt and our house and the even larger house across the street were the only houses there, so I guess it was built around that time. The town doesn't have records because there wasn't a town here yet.

Anyhow, it is large and it wasn't particularly well insulated. One of the walls was stuffed with newspaper and magazines, for example. As I've been working on parts of the house, I have been insulating them, but I've never been able to afford a large-scale insulation project. Still, I think we've got it fairly well insulated now, and we've replaced all of the windows with double-pane windows. There were, I think, 36 of them so that wasn't cheap. Plus, I finished the attic, which had previously consisted of sheets of insulation draped over the rafters. Now we have a sizable insulated room there, although unheated. With insulation in the floor, ceiling, and walls of the attic, more of the heat remains downstairs.

Last year, we qualified for an energy saving program that provided heat pumps for homes that were thought to benefit from it. Rather than an income qualification, they were looking for houses that could save a lot of energy costs with the addition of a heat pump. Normally costing a few thousand, that was installed in our upstairs living room free, and that saves a whole lot on our heating oil costs. It comes on only when it senses that someone is in the room, so we can keep the thermostat very low there. Interestingly, we found that a cat jumping up on the couch will trigger it, so that cats have been taking advantage of that. The heat vent from the heat pump is pointed right at the couch so when I notice that I don't have any cats in my office, I know that I'll be able to find them on the couch upstairs. The heat pump will also cool during the summer, which will be an added advantage. This adds to our electric bill, but saves more on our heating oil costs than it adds to the electric.

This spring, we are going to separate the water heater from our oil heating system, replacing it with an electric on-demand water heater, which should keep the oil pump from having to come on throughout the summer, just to heat water that we may not even be using.

Otherwise, we keep the thermostats at about 65 degrees during the winter, and use space heaters and slankets in the rooms that we are in. My cats have heated cat beds in my office too, since they are particularly averse to cold.

Ruth Belena and Priscilla King like this.
  3. Priscilla King

Priscilla King Veteran Member
    Registered

It's hard enough to pay the bills without running them up higher than they have to be. I don't even run a refrigerator in winter--buy things that need to stay cold for just a few cold days in advance, and store them in a bin out on the north-facing porch.

Ruth Belena likes this.
  4. Priscilla King

Registered

This brought back memories...When my husband was alive, his blood pressure medication made him feel cold most of the winter. He'd be wearing three shirts and a sweater and still feeling chilly with the thermostat set to 75, and I'd think the house was stifling...well, we had a clothing-optional home anyway. He didn't like paying gas bills, but what could he do? I still have the ability to get accustomed to 55 degrees Fahrenheit, and do. He had lost that ability. So when I see people wearing summer clothes in overheated houses, now, I always think of blood pressure medication.

Ruth Belena likes this.
  5. Priscilla King

Registered

I love the idea of an electric on-demand water heater. Please tell us more about installation, how it works, how much you do or don't save, hazards, etc. (I can't afford one but will keep dreaming...)

6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

If it were my house I would install solar also but this is my daughters house and she does not want to go thru the expense of installing solar for this house. It is not so much how much money I would save on the bills as much as the need to not be helpless if the power goes out for days. This house is all electric so you are completely helpless when the power goes out.

Ruth Belena likes this.
  7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We have already looked at the possibility of solar power but we find it not practical for the moment. To save on electricity, we make sure that all bulbs not used should be turned off including the electric fan. And when the air conditioner is working, doors and windows should always be closed. That's what increases the consumption of power in air conditioning, when you leave the door open. Even the refrigerators activate its compressor when it senses heat coming inside.

On the contrary, we spend a lot of power at night. We have night lights in the following areas - terrace, driveway, garage, backyard, grotto and living room. And why so? That is to deter potential intruders. Robbery is somewhat a common occurrence here so we invest in those lights.

8. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I made my own solar water heaters and use all led lights. This is not needed because the electricity here is on a flat rate. I love trying to be as independent as possible from the grid.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

We have been having problems with our house heat. I think Bobby mentioned about our furnace not working and he had to get the parts and fix it. Now, it is working again; but the thermostat does not work right.
    At night we turn the heat down to 65, and then up to 70 in the mornings, but what it does is kicks on for a little while and then somehow resets back to 62 degrees, and we end up freezing until we realize that the thermostat has reset again.
    Sometimes, it turns on and stays on , but when we need it most, in the morning, it is when it seems not to want to work right.

Robin has one of the Nest thermostats that works with WiFi and has an app, and she has ordered one for us now, too. It is supposed to be here this weekend, and then we will see how well it works. Since it uses a WiFi connection and an app, we don’t have to try and use any settings on the thermostat, like on the one we have now.
    We can just tell the app when we want it to warm up in the morning, and cool down at night , and if we change our schedule, then we just use the app to over-ride the settings for right then.
    I think that Robin can even talk to hers, like Siri, and tell it to warm up or cool down her house, but I am not sure about that part.
    Anyway, I am excited to see how well it works !

Ken Anderson and Tim Burr like this.
  10. Ken Anderson

Since I last posted in this thread, we have had our house fully insulated. In fact, it required that I add an additional floor to the attic in order to fit enough insulation in the upper part of the house. So, between the roof of the upstairs and the first attic floor, we have insulation, then we have more insulation between that and the new attic floor. It doesn't give me as much headroom in the attic but it's still a usable space. Plus, all of our exterior walls were insulated professionally, entirely paid for by the same program that paid for the heat pump, and they came looking for us, so I'm sure they were paid by someone, although it didn't cost us a cent. The attic, walls, and crawl space were all insulated.

Where we used to go through four tanks of oil in the winter, this year we've only had to refill the tank once. We're also keeping it much warmer in here than we used to. Previously, we'd keep the thermostats in the 60s and use Slankets or space heaters, while the cats had heated beds. This year, we're keeping it reasonably warm in the house, although the cats still have heated beds.

My next project is to get a wood stove for our library. The library was built as a porch, I think, then enclosed and converted into two bedrooms while the place was an apartment building. The porch was built on a separate foundation from the rest of the house. We tore down the wall between the two bedrooms and made a library out of it.

Several years ago, we had a freeze-up and we elected to discontinue heating the library because the exterior walls had little or no insulation, and it was greatly adding to the cost of heating the house. Although we still have our books there, the library has not been much used in the winter because it's unheated. Because of that, things tend to accumulate there so we didn't even bother making it usable last summer.

I'd like to put a small wood stove in the library so that we can use it again, but only when we want to. I like the feel of wood heat, and I can cut all the wood we'd need for it from our land up north. I'd like to clear out some parts of the woods anyhow since that's better for wildlife.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2019
    Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Remember to kill the breaker to the unit during the disconnect/connection phase.

I know Bobby knows this, I just can't help myself sometimes reminding people about things.:eek:

Hope it works out for you; I am in favor of anything that makes life easier...

12. Ken Anderson

Okay, I have an incentive to do this one. I found a small, low-end, wood stove on clearance at Lowes, and bought it. It's very small but it will be sufficient for the library. Since it's lower to the floor than I would like, I think I'll build something to set it on - high enough so that I can get to it without having to stoop, and maybe high enough so that I can put some wood beneath it, so that I'll have dry wood available. I won't be putting it in until the snow melts, though.

stove.jpg

13. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Looks good, @Ken Anderson . You might be surprised at how much heat it puts out. I'm not sure storing wood under it would be a good idea, though.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

It wouldn't be directly under it. Not only would there be not enough space but that would be very dangerous. I meant under the platform that I place it on, which would, of course, include a stove board, as would be the case if it were placed on the floor of the room.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    We had one just like it while holed-up in Northern AZ a year. It had an 8" flue pipe, big for a stove it's size.
    Frank

Ken Anderson likes this.