Epitaph?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Brittany Houser, Aug 15, 2015.

1. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

Hey guys, I have `been thinking about what I would like my epitaph to be. Why? I don't know. Why not? Anyway, I'm not planning on checking out any time soon, at least I hope not. Anyway, I've come up with a couple of ideas:
    1. Here lies the only dead blonde that Elton John never wrote a song about. (I'm sorry, I know it's mean.) :rolleyes:
    2.Gone to find Major Tom. (Does anyone get this?) o_O Just some random thoughts...anyone else?

2. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was as young as to be in my teens and throughout my 20s, I did not only thought of my epitaph to be, but my own burial place. I wanted to have a stylish grave much of those from the 19th century seen at London's Highgate Cemetery.

However with the pass of the time, cemeteries overpopulated, funeral pricing, and problems family goes into with all of this. I don't longer care what is going to happen with my corpse, which like will be either cremated or sent to common grave. Remember I have no children, spouse, and besides my mother I only have one sister to whom I wouldn't like to cause any funeral-related expenditure knowing she has no means to pay for this.

Sad, but unless something happens from here to my day of death, this probably will go this way.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

For me, I am thinking maybe...

He Was Here
    And Now He's Not

4. Brittany Houser

Registered

Ken, that certainly is concise and to the point. It also gives a lot of insight into you as a person. :p Carlota, I'm with you on that cremation idea! I have a big family, and I'm southern, and that is SIMPLY NOT done (much) in southern culture. But I've always had a fear of being buried alive, sooooo, I think cremation is my choice. ;)

5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

My wife and I both plan to be cremated but we are in no hurry.

6. Tom Locke

Tom Locke Veteran Member
    Registered

I always liked Spike Milligan's "I told you I was ill."

As for me, I'll slightly adapt a thread title I used on a similar theme to "Didn't die wondering."

Diane Lane and Brittany Houser like this.
  7. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

I told you I was sick!!!

8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Carlota Clemens

Registered

But what about dying in good health but as a result of injury in an accident?

After reading Mel Blanc's, I recalled a TV-show called precisely "Epitaph" in which the presenter (don't remember who he was) used to bring to our attention a famous epitaph and the story behind the person buried there.

Anyone remembering this show?

10. Brittany Houser

Registered

No I don't recall ever hearing about that show Carlota. I wish I could see it. I'll bet it was really interesting.

11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Someone once said: "If the truth were written on our tombstones, we'd all want to be buried at sea"!

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"At 74, Irish actor Peter O'Toole has decided on the message he'ld like engraved on his tombstone. The legendary star wants the note from his dry cleaner that once made him chuckle written on his gravestone.

"Many years ago I had a beloved leather jacket... and I never wanted to throw it away. I sent it to the cleaners because it was covered in blood and Guinness and scotch and Corn Flakes, the usual," Contactmusic quoted the star, as saying.

"It went off to the Sycamore Cleaners and it came back with a thing pinned on it: 'It distresses us to return work which is not perfect' - so I want that on my tombstone," he added".(He died at the age of 81, in 2013)

Brittany Houser likes this.
  13. Carlota Clemens

Registered

I spent this weekend trying to refresh my memory for a hint that helped me to find vestiges of "Epitaph" because there is no trace of this program on YouTube, but I remembered it used to be aired after Robert Stack's "Unsolved Mysteries," then I was able to recall the date...

It was 1999 when the "end of the world" was approaching at fast pace and New Age, Metaphysics and unconventional shows began to be scheduled in different channel, including one devoted exclusively to these topics, including "Epitaph" that was a New Zealand production, which initial season was first aired in 1997, what means cable TV only aired here the last of the three seasons.

Here is a brief description of the series and a full episode from 1999, http://www.nzonscreen.com/title/epitaph-1997/series

14. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, I won't have an epitaph because I plan to be cremated so no tombstone. Just an urn that will make my date of birth and date of death. But if I did have an epitaph I would probably have like it to be something along the lines of Beloved Daughter, Sister and Friend. I think that about sums up who I am and at this point who I was.

15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

You may have heard of the famous pop-artist, Andy Warhol. He said: "I always thought I’d like my own tombstone to be blank. No epitaph and no name. Well, actually, I’d like it to say “figment.”

Project Figment, has been the placing of a web-cam on his tombstone, 24/7. He wanted to be buried 10 foot deep, so no one could dig him up. Click on the web cam and take a gander. You will notice that someone left a Campbell's soup can on his stone.;)