Ever Live Or Wanted To Live In Florida?

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 10, 2024 at 6:00 PM.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We lived in Jacksonville, FL for 10 1/2 years. We lived on the southern end, aka Southside. We got use to the humidity/heat, but it took awhile. During those years in the summer, we encountered some pretty heavy t-storms, with lightning galore, and even a few tropical storms. We were told this, "because of the location of Jacksonville, hurricanes don't hit here". Well, that wasn't entirely true, because Hurricane Irma came right over us in September 2017. We were in a "No Evacuation Zone", so we stayed in our apartment. We heard the wind and all electricity went out in the middle of the night. Trees were uprooted by the complex and some damage done around Jacksonville. Boats that had been tied up to private docks were crashed into bridges on the St. John's River. Our boat, the same one we still have, was in a Dry Storage and completely unharmed by this hurricane. But, part of the Dry Storage was completely flooded and a couple of docks broken away and just floating.

So, have you ever lived in any part of Florida and left due to hurricanes or perhaps other things? We moved back to Colorado in August 2019. Even though we spent 10 1/2 years in Jacksonville and visited Key West, Orlando and Tampa Bay, there were things we really missed about Colorado.

If you have never lived in Florida, have you ever considered moving there? We will never move back or visit, but it was an interesting 10 1/2 years we were there.

2. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

No, absolutely not. I've never even wanted to visit Florida. I just hate heat and humidity and don't want to live anywhere with that kind of climate. It gets hot here but the humidity stays low and it makes a difference.

3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My sister lived in Jacksonville in the late 60s and we visited once. I don't recall much except the mutant bugs & lizard. The only time I've been in Florida since then is catching a connecting flight in Miami (maybe twice.) I never left the airport.

4. Jacob Petersheim

Jacob Petersheim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I've been there a number of times, different parts: both coasts, the Keys, centrally. Not a fan, I wouldn't live there. Always felt like I needed a shower and the air smelled somewhere between Fritos and fried eggs. Gritty beaches that didn't have real sand, just something like rotten crushed shell. Everything overpriced. "Brown" people (Mexicans?) lurking in the shadows or cringing away as if avoiding abusers.

John Brunner likes this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You reminded me of one thing I did like...

Since there is no surf on the gulf coast, you can find lots of fully-intact conch shells, sand dollars, etc.