Face Of The Oldest Direct Human Ancestor Revealed

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Holly Saunders, Aug 28, 2019.

1. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Just read this today...what do you all think...?

An ancient human ancestor that lived more than four million years ago has been brought to life by scientists in stunning recreations.

It is the face of a species known as Australopithecus anamensis, an ancient species even older than the famed Lucy - a member of a related species known as A. afarensis.

The tiny skull was found almost entirely intact in Ethiopia in 2016 and proves the two species co-existed for at least 100,000 years.

Researchers uncovered the adult male skull in the river delta of a now-extinct lake and the researchers found the species had a small brain with a long, narrow skull.

However, it also reveals the species had prominent cheekbones that make the face look like more recent humans.

A. anamensis is the oldest known member of the genus Australopithecus. Our own genus, Homo, is widely thought to have evolved from this group.

MRD, the informal moniker given to the skull, has been dubbed as the next great 'celebrated icon of human evolution'.

[​IMG]

Read the rest here with more photos and video of the reconstruction of the face...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...-direct-human-ancestor-revealed.html#comments

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Fascinating. Kinda makes you feel insignificant, doesn't it? I wonder what life forms 4.2 million years from now who find a skull from the present time will think of us?

Sheldon Scott and Holly Saunders like this.
  3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I'm one of those annoying people who believe man was made in God's image and I'm quite sure He doesn't look like that. :D
    These are the same kind of scientist that once said Pluto was a planet until they found out they were wrong. They've changed their minds on other things as well, so, I have limited confidence in their supposed truths.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

But, but, but,...…. he might have been an early experimental specimen.

5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

:D:D I believe it tbh...you're right Shirley it does make you feel insignificant to think of all those millions of years before we were here, and then for it all to continue on after we've gone..

Bess.. but..but...how do you KNOW what God looked like.. God may have been like Galen on the planet of the apes. ...I'm not being disrespectful to anyone's beliefs, but none of us know what GOD looked like or even if there was one.. :D

6. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Every time there is new evidence or a new find, scientists must change their minds.

7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep - means nothing to me - they change their minds more times than I do :p

8. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I find it very interesting.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  9. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

Science continues to develop means & methods of identifying the origin of mankind. Religion helps some to fill the need to understand. Science on the other hand demonstrates evolution. The mystery of how humans came to be on planet earth may one day have a definitive answer. Meanwhile there is this picture of one butt ugly 4 million year old ancestor.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Well did we evolve from fish or ape - must have been a very specific species as there are still plenty more fish in the sea
    And - an ape is an ape, looking the same as he always did

11. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

I suppose a scientific thread on what dictates evolution might solve why apes remain apes. My theory goes something like this.

Some not all humans from lets say St. Thomas in the Virgin Islands decide conditions there don't meet their needs. They migrate to Alaska. Food, shelter and the living conditions they were used to are no longer their norm. Over a few thousand years they evolve to adapt to the conditions they faced.

Meanwhile the humans that remained in St. Thomas didn't need to change.

There are examples of evolution, but how mankind became at all is still being investigated.

12. Patsy Faye

Registered

Thank you Bob - we were also told at one time we came from fish, I know they're intelligent but I just don't buy that one
    Apes are extremely intelligent of course, but in all these years, they remain 'the same' - you would think by now, they would
    want change …………

@Bob Kirk

13. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

It is thought all life originally evolved from cells in the oceans.

14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yep - a lot of thoughts but no sure answers and I doubt there will be

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  15. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Veteran Member
    Registered

So many advances in science has me believing maybe not in our lifetime but eventually

Patsy Faye and Nancy Hart like this.