Facebook Marketplace, Have You Tried It?

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Yvonne Smith, Jun 11, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As I have mentioned before, I have been buying iPads on eBay, and then re-selling them on the Facebook Marketplace sales , and have had good results doing this.
    Recently, I bought an Amazon Fire 10 Tablet, like new, with Alexa, which sells for about $189 on Amazon, plus the nice American Flag case, another $23, or thereabouts.
    Even listing it at half price, I wasn't getting so much as a nibble of interest, and today, I decided to drop the price and see if that helped things along.
    When I looked, Marketplace said that Facebook had "hidden" my listing and no one could see it, because it went against Facebook Community Rules.
    Are you kidding me ??
    I was listing a Kindle Fire Tablet, not something that should violate any kind of Facebook standards. Anyway, I deleted the listing.
    One of the pictures showed Amazon Prime Video, and several movie posters, and I thought maybe it was that , which was offensive.
    I used a picture of the front of the Kindle with the little game advertisement, which in no way should be offensive at all.
    Once again, Facebook says that they are reviewing my listing to make sure it is in compliance. I am baffled ! I am beginning to wonder if it is the picture of the American Flag on the Kindle cover that Facebook thinks is offensive ?
    Crazy, I know; but since they are now removing American flags from Veterans graves and taking down historical monuments, maybe a flag is also suspicious now.
    I will let you know what happens with the review, and wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience with Facebook Marketplace ?

Von Jones, Bess Barber and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My wife uses the marketplace, but I have not heard her complain. Perhaps she doesn't know.... I have noticed that it appears that several of the links to YouTube videos on this site no longer work, so I wonder if Google has taken them down too.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We used Facebook Marketplace to sell our Dodge RAM truck. I was told to use Marketplace by a salesman at Auto Zone (auto parts). I had 5 pictures of the truck I took and, after only being on Marketplace for about 30 minutes, I got an offer. That offer was for the entire amount we wanted.
    We were truly shocked at how fast it sold on there.

Von Jones and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

The Kindle is SOLD ! I have no idea why the first listing was not approved, unless it was the amazon movies ,because , I opened Amazon Prime Video on the Kindle and took a picture of that to show the bright color and clarity of the Kindle screen.
    This time it posted and by the time we got back home from the fitness center, I had people messaging me about it.
    So, my faith is restored in Marketplace.

Von Jones likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Google is removing conservative videos from YouTube as fast as people can put them up. What is needed is a neutral alternative to both Facebook and YouTube. That's hard to do because forum software and HTML software is made to embed video from YouTube but usually won't from very many other places. That shouldn't affect a Kindle sale, though.

6. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Ken Anderson It does feel as though those two have run their course, much like MySpace did. People are ready for a change, I bet the next big social media idea will be available soon. It will be great for a few years, some big conglomerate will buy it and then in 5 more years, it will be all farked up and we begin again.....

7. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I checked out the Marketplace and it reminded me of something similar to what Ebay had. I don't know if it's still there but people would just list something that they wanted with hopes of getting a reply.

8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

yes ours is pretty much like that too .. also the stuff that's being sold is for the most part not very good or even cheap...

Faye Fox and Von Jones like this.
  9. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

.........or even stolen.

10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

well it could be I suppose, but I tend to think that at least here in my immediate town, which is a very low crime area, it's less likely to be stolen...

Bess Barber and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson yes, we need an independent neutral social media and several independent neutral Major Media sources. Facebook is not a friendly place for independents or conservatives.

Bess Barber likes this.
  12. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

I was thinking Facebook across country. I generally look Craigslist or You-Tote-It for local item sales.
    Plus, you live in that nice neighborhood. Half the garage sale stuff in my neighborhood is probably stolen. :D