Fake Potato Salad?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frank Sanoica, Jun 25, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

We haven't had any potatoes in the house for months. I LOVE potatoes, grew up on them, especially like the small, red ones. My wife has decided they are just not "good" for us.

Today, following her newest diet craze (low-carbs has fallen by the wayside, kind of), she made up a "veggie" potato salad that proved delicious! I'd eat it in place of the real thing anytime!

Basically, it had Cauliflower cut into potato salad-sized pieces, Turkey Bacon, and I don't know what else, some saucy stuff, maybe mustard too. If anyone likes, I'll get the recipe. Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have read about substituting cauliflower for potatoes; but the only way I have ever done that is just to steam the cauliflower and eat it with butter like you would eat a cooked potato.
    Since potatoes are a very inflammatory food; they are off the acceptable food list for me, because of the heart failure, and I only ever enjoy a baked potato now and then if we eat out somewhere and it comes with the meal.
    I really like baked poatoes and also potato salad, and I would love to have your recipe for the cauliflower/potato salad, @Frank Sanoica !
    It is nice to have something chilled like a potato salad, especially in the summer time, so I will definitely try making your recipe for it, since it is not only anti-inflammatory, but also low-carb.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I have tried substituting cauliflower for rice and it was not good. I have, however, substituted cauliflower for mashed potatoes and my son could not tell the difference. After he ate them, I told him that it was really mashed cauliflower. OOOOO he was mad at me??? lol

Babs Hunt likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Yvonne Smith "I would love to have your recipe for the cauliflower/potato salad"

My wife said, it's basically like any potato salad, but using Cauliflower instead of potatoes. She used the recipe for regular potato salad below:

http://hip2save.com/2014/08/29/loaded-potato-salad-recipe/#.V2wHHDKya58.facebook

She only used 8 ounces of Cauliflower, and 1/2 of the recipe's dressing ingredients. The Cauliflower was microwaved in a loosely covered plastic bowl for 3 minutes on High. No water is added for microwaving veggies like Cauliflower.

Frank

Babs Hunt and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

How did you make this cauliflower mashed potatoes @Texas Beth. I'd like that recipe also since I love cauliflower and mashed potatoes.:)

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I've done something like this, but the one I did was half cauliflower and half potatoes... not too shabby really. The latest craze I've been seeing is "ricing" cauliflower... food processor until the size of rice to be used as a substitution. I have to say that I tried it that way and it just didn't cut it for me. With half potatoes, the salad was fabulous... the rice fake-out, not so much. :D

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

They sell it riced for the lazy people like me. I buy it occasionally. I love cauliflower though, so I use it in many different things.

When at my son's have made the fake cauliflower pizza crust.

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We went to the Seventh Day Adventist store today, and I got some cauliflower. I like the SDA store because they have fresh, local produce, and a lot of health food items there.
    It is clear across town from us; so we do not get that far very often, but were already in the area because we wanted to go to the local Farmer's Market.
    It turned out that the Farmers' Market is now closed on Sundays, and the thought of all of those garden-fresh tomatoes and cucumbers just went right out the window; but then I remembered the SDA store, Garden Cove, and we went there and found all kinds of good fresh veggies .
    I noticed that you said your wife only used 8 oz of cauliflower, @Frank Sanoica . She only made one cup of salad ?
    That hardly seems worth the effort of making it, but maybe a good idea if you don't know how good something is going to turn out. The idea of mixing cauliflower and potatoes as @Mari North suggested, seems like it might be a good plan, too.
    I will experiment with a small cauli-salad, and if that goes good, then make a larger one for the Fourth of July.

11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I've made it many times Yvonne because I don't eat potatoes. You can make it any way you like. Add what you like in the regular potato salad.

Of course they say cruciferous vegetables aren't good for people with thyroid problems, think there's even a book about it, I still eat cauliflower. I have cut down on broccoli but probably because I was getting sick of it.

12. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I have made cauliflower potatoes many times they are good. I also have used it to cut down the amount of potatoes in a potato salad. Potatoes aren't bad for you really, they are an important source of potassium. I would just try to cut down on the amount of them you eat. Anything, really is OK in moderation. Not allowing yourself to have it or them. might likely lead to a "large fry binge" or something similar down the road.

13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Joe Riley The "aura of mysterious concoction" makes it more "mouth-feelable", Joe.

14. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I have an answer, @Joe Riley , I do, I do! When I think of "Potato Salad" I think of summertime and holidays and family reunions. I think of fried chicken on the plate with the potato salad.. and chocolate cake after the picnic lunch. When I think of "Cauliflower Salad" I think of... well, cauliflower. Not nearly as exciting or "comfort-food sounding" is it? Ah, you have entered the no-fly zone called "the mind of Mari." Don't be scared. :D

Chrissy Cross and Frank Sanoica like this.
  15. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Yvonne Smith "She only made one cup of salad?"

Right. Wasn't going to reveal this, but we don't eat together.......:rolleyes:
    Actually, it was part of her current diet, and she makes only one portion of whatever is "in the mix" per mealtime. My own mealtime is rather mixed-up: I prepare my veggies and meat at 9:00PM, eating them quietly alone, reading, while the T-V blares it's madness in the other room. Last few months I "fell off of it", and started eating a bite here and there during the day, and have gained 10 lbs. When strictly enforced, the one late daily meal kept me 10 lbs. lighter.

Of course, those irresistible BOGO buffet offers, there are about 8 offered each month, do not help the situation. At the buffets, she is able (lately), to eat a reasonable amount of only the wholesome stuff. Me? Glutton, when partaking of a buffet. I love the baked fish, Tilapia this time of year, and eat as many as 4 fillets. In winter, they seem to switch to Salmon......YUM!
    Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.