Falling Away, A Study Of Hebrews 6

Discussion in 'Faith & Religion' started by Babs Hunt, May 26, 2017.

1. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

https://gracethrufaith.com/topical-studies/spiritual-life/falling-away-a-study-of-hebrews-6/

Gracethrufaith.com is a wonderful website for studying God's Word, having your Biblical questions answered, and for just growing spiritually. The Bible is not meant to be hard to understand and Jack Kelley's gift for making the Bible's Truth so easy to understand will help everyone grow in the knowledge and understanding of God's Word.

If you have ever felt the Bible is to hard to understand, or doesn't make sense...then I hope you will check out this website and stay long enough to let Jack Kelley speak the simple Truth of God's Word to you.

Janice Martin likes this.
  2. @BabsHunt : Gotta say, that was one of the most interesting articles I've read in a long time. Much of what the author said clears up confusions I've had for a long time. I encountered a number of situations over the years, and wonder if I can ask your POV:

First, individuals who took that step for the wrong reasons. While I'd never heard the term/concept 'saved' until quite recently, I'm guessing that's what people meant when they said they were 'born-again Christians.' One person said he finally gave in and recited the verse (you probably know it- the one in John) because an older neighbor who taught Sunday school badgered and badgered him until he did it. A couple of other people said they became 'born-again' when they were kids because their parents expected them to. Another said he became a born-again Christian because he thought it would 'help him get more women.' (sorry, I'm not making this up!)

Second, I've known individuals who took 'once saved = always saved' to be a 100% guarantee- no matter what they did afterward. By far the nuttiest was a guy who 'got saved' while incarcerated and later told everyone that he could commit more murders and Jesus would protect him from ever being held accountable. Individuals committed serious crimes (sins), but believed they were completely free of wrongdoing.

What's your viewpoint?

Babs Hunt likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Once saved always saved is based on the word exagorazo, which we find in not only Ephesians but Collosians and Philippians, simply means that one has been redeemed. A further examination also reveals that it means never to be sold back again. (into slavery).
    While one may take it word for word and EXPECT that he is free to do whatever, it is contrary to ALL Godly teachings. example:
    Romans 6:1 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace should abound? 6:2 God forbid. How shall we, that are dead to sin, live any longer therein?
    6:12 Let not sin therefore reign in your mortal body that ye shall obey it in your lusts thereof.

The Baptists do believe in eternal salvation but their reply to the matter of sin is that if indeed a person can continue in sin after salvation then they were not really saved to begin with.

My stance is that if a person purposefully continues in things contrary to God after making the claim of salvation he is a liar and the truth is not in him. Jesus said it even better when He said if a man says he loves God but hates his brother then he is a liar.

And finally, to top it off we have Mat: 7:22-23; Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works?
    And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you, depart from me ye workers of iniquity.

Kinda gives a new light on eternal salvation.......but yeah, I too believe once saved always saved but with a few caveats.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

@Janice Martin There is only one who "knows" if we are really saved or not...and that is God our Father who knows our hearts. You have asked for my viewpoint though on your post and here it is:

My viewpoint on individuals who "took" the steps to salvation for the wrong reasons is that unless they have gone back and taken those steps for the "right" reason, then they do not have salvation. Salvation is a free gift from God our Father and cannot be forced on anyone. They can feel forced to receive this gift, but unless they receive it freely and from their own heart's desire to have it...then they have not really received it. I have seen instances where people who opened up their hearts and allowed God in for the wrong reasons ended up truly inviting Him in for the right reasons as the "love of God" filled their hearts.

My viewpoint on individuals who think they can take God's free gift of salvation as a license to continue evil...will only end up finding they never really received that gift at all because God knew the true state of their heart's all along. I do believe that when we open our hearts to God's love, even if it is not always for the right reasons, that God's love can change even the hardest of hearts if the person will allow that love to enter in and make that change.

Yvonne Smith likes this.