Favorite Black And White Movie?

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Diana Kristof, Jul 21, 2016.

1. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Veteran Member
    Registered

Aside from our black & white TV when I was a child which I got to frequently watch 3 Stooges a lot. Some of those memorable old movies I've watched in TV not yet in technicolors because they were my parent's favorite and I used to watch the movie with them before: An Affair to Remember starring Cary Grant and Deborah Kerr. I got to see the same movie again, this time in video I've downloaded somewhere when it has become the theme of one of my favorite movie: Sleepless in Seattle that stars Tom Hanks & Meg Ryan. Kinda melodramatic but what the heck its some of those that breaks the monotony of reading nonsense headline news and boring research sometimes. ;) Anyhow, 3 Stooges still tops my list of B&W flicks and Mr. Bean on the side. :p

Tim Burr likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

My favourite B&W Movies in no particular order...are

It's a Wonderful life..(well who knew lol)..

Manhattan....one of the few films I went to the cinema to see..

Brief Encounter.... a very old very upper class british romance between 2 middle aged people (romance is not something I would usually watch but this was such a classic film)

Mandy - about a family's struggle to give their deaf daughter a better life, one of the best made British films of the early '50's

How Green was My Valley...oooh it's a very old film and I remember watching it first when I was just a kid...and it nearly broke my heart then..

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Holly Saunders
    Brief Encounter - my Paul loves that film :)
    How green was my valley - never seen it, is it Welsh ? (I can't help saying the title in a welsh accent :p)

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Registered

It was a brilliant film Patsy it's supposed to be about a Welsh mining family..and the American film company wanted to film it in a Welsh village but due to Europe being at war at the time (1941)they couldn't so they built a replica village in the Santa Monica mountains..but it's very realistic portrayal... it stars Maureen O'hara , roddy McDowell..

Here's the full film

Denise Evans likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Holly Saunders - thank you so much, I am drawn to anything to do with mining
    so will ask Paul to download the film and watch it on Sunday x :)

Holly Saunders likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Registered

You're very welcome Patsy, I hope you enjoy it..

Patsy Faye likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Another absolute favourite is 'Twelve Angry Men'
    Perfect choice for what I mean about good dialogue
    And - Lee J Cobb ! What more could we want ! :)

Denise Evans and Tim Burr like this.
  8. Rachel Rodarte

Rachel Rodarte Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember watching "The Wizard of Oz," back in the early 50's, we lived in El Paso, Tx. I was maybe around 4 or 5, we didn't have color TV so the movie was black and white. And they would show right before Christmas. I also enjoyed watching It's a Wonderful Life, Miracle on 35th street.

9. Patsy Faye

Registered

The wizard of Oz is shown here every Christmas :D
    Hi Rachel :)
    I'm off to settle down to some TV - goodnighty

10. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

In general, I am not a fan of Black and White movies. I think the Artist was Black and White, and I really liked that. A movie that I know I really liked that was in Black and White was Casablanca. That is always good. I guess I just prefer colorized movies. Schindler's List was shot mostly B and W, with a few shots of color in the beginning, and ending. I liked that movie a great deal.

11. Rachel Rodarte

Rachel Rodarte Veteran Member
    Registered

Is the little girl Maureen O'Hara?

12. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

According to the information in Wikipedia, it is Peggy Ann Garner, who plays the youung Jane Eyre. However, an interesting tidbit that I learned from the Wikipedia article is that a very young Elzabeth Taylor was also in the movie, although uncredited.
    The synopsis of the movie does not mention much about the part played by Elisabeth Taylor; but It does say that she played the part of Helen Burns, and it turns out that she was the best friend of young Jane Eyre at the beginning of the movie when she was sent by her aunt to the charity boarding school.
    Here is the page about Jane Eyre, the movie, from Wikipedia. The book actually has a lot more to it than the movie does; but even the movie was excellent, too.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jane_Eyre_(1943_film)

Denise Evans likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Has anyone mentioned "The Diary of Anne Frank"? I thought that was a great movie.

I was just reading some trivia about it and did you know that Shelley Winters had to gain 25 lbs for the role of Mrs. Van Daan, then had to lose 15 lbs of it as the movie progressed.

I'd love to be told to gain 25 lbs, but then having to lose 15 wouldn't be fun.

The more I think about this, I wonder how true it is. Now I want to know how long it took to gain and then lose. Lots of pressure on her I'm sure.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2016
  14. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Chrissy Page - reminds me of Tom Hanks in Castaway film (think that's what its called)
    He had to lose a 'lot' of weight for that, I've seen the movie twice - I do like Tom Hanks, good natural actor

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  15. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Dr. No - 1963 first Bond movie and Sean Connery became my first non-cowboy hero.
    Paladin ( Richard Boone ) will always be #1.

Yvonne Smith likes this.