Favorite Sunday "Outfit"?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Susan Long, Mar 12, 2015.

1. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

My favorite Sunday ensemble was a navy dress with white trim; a white straw hat, white gloves, and black patent shoes with white, lacy socks!

2. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

My favorite Sunday outfit is an after church outfit of comfortable sandals, shorts, a big brim hat so people can't see me watching them. I like to go to the Tidal Basin during the spring and summer and watch the tourist and families having fun. The look on some peoples faces when they look around Washington, DC, is worth a thousand dollars sometimes. People who live here take so much for granted and don't visit the many things here that people spend a small fortune to come and visit.

Susan Long likes this.
  3. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I agree. I grew up in Northern Virginia, so all of our field trips in school were to DC. And in the summer that was our go to destination, because all the museums were free. I used to know the Smithsonian inside and out. I don't know how many times we climbed to the top of the Washington Monument or ran up the steps of the Lincoln Memorial. We used to go to Arlington National Cemetery and watch the changing of the guards and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier - that was always so emotional - even for a kid. We used to go to Marshall Hall, the amusement park - you had to ride the ferry to get there. And of course, no summer was complete without a trip to the zoo! It really was a great place to grow up.

It wasn't until we moved away when my son was young and we started taking him to museums and such, that I realized how expensive it is to get into most museums. That's when I realized how amazing DC truly was.

4. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember wearing a pale lilac long sleeved dress with a purple trim down the front. I was in my early teens, so school uniform required knee length socks, but on a Sunday I could dress more grown-up, in my best outfit and my first pair of nylon stockings.

Susan Long likes this.
  5. Susan Long

Registered

Pat, I would like to join you at the Tidal Basin in D.C. It sounds like a great Sunday afternoon event! I can understand how you enjoy it over and over.

6. Susan Long

Registered

Ruth, the Sunday "outfit" sounds so nice and sophisticated. I understand the feelings of becoming an adult and how exciting it is.