Favourite Childhood Toy

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Patsy Faye, Jul 30, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I played with jacks and slinky's too. One time I crawled on a jack and part of it broke off in my knee. Now that was painful! Fortunately, it did not become embedded. It may have become briefly embedded, but it came out again, but it was so painful! That I remember. I liked jacks because that was one of the few things our mother would play with us.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was in elementary school, mostly the girls played with jacks, while the boys played marbles. I had some, and the game wasn't entirely foreign to me but we didn't play jacks much. Marbles was serious business, though.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Lionel Trains. 3-track Mainline of Chicago Burlington and Quincy RR cut straight across my hometown's midsection. Trains were a part of life. So, easy to understand why Lionel Electric Trains were a vital part of my growing up. Working with them taught me the fundamentals of Electric Theory. I was fascinated by that, and used my ability therein to springboard to Electronics Technology, degree earned 1963.

So, the childhood toy most important was the electric train setup. Finally, a layout in the basement 12 feet by 24 feet. Electrically-controlled switches, accessories, many other goodies. It taught me many of the electrical fundamentals which later led me into a career centered about electricity. I understood it, savored it, used it to produce huge blue and white sparks, this weird far-out by most folks' reckoning work became my daily life! Until I met Sue, the 5'-8" statuesque Polish girl who for the first time in my life made me climb the wall.........I adored her, wanted her, married her.

I was in heaven, on earth. \

It crumbled. So here I stand telling strangers of my past woes. Why? Dunno. Frank

4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Ouch!:confused:I'm glad that everything ended up alright for you.

5. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Frank Sanoica , Stranger? Stranger? And here I thought we were friends. You are an Imp for having so little faith in us 'my friend'. Just picking on you Frank. But as I only have a couple of friends in my area, you people are my friends and family.

I have told all of you things that I could never talk of to those around me. I never heard you overly complain about anything, but I do like to read about the different adventures you had.

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Even though I had a lot of toys, we still did the forts and treehouse thing and played in the new homes that were being built when the workers left. A big no no but we snuck in them anyway, pretty dangerous too when it was just a frame.

Since it was a brand new neighborhood, there was always a new house being built. Also the woods and the monkey vines.

Yep, I had it all growing up except for the strict Dad. :(

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I found a little battery operated "fireplace" in Goodwill the other day, and brought it home. The flame was missing, so I had to make my own. (see picture) Campfire Kids was written on the bottom, and after looking online found that it was part of a set. "Campfire Kids Indoor Camping Gear", was the name and I found this delightful video showing it off. I particularly like the "Camp Lantern" with the outdoor night sounds! :eek:;):D

Kids fireplace crop.jpg

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Joe Riley - So cute ! I love the lantern very much :D

9. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

Pogo stick was a favorite, roller skates with the key to tighten them. ice skates for sure. Tom Thumb cash register so we could play store. Card and board games like Uncle Wiggle. Pop-Up books, Grandma made each of us a small carpet bag for our own picnics, and packet it with gingerbread cookies. She would read us Uncle Remus stories, we loved that. Tinker Toys, and my Daisy BB gun, Baby Brownie camera. Thought that was the most exciting thing to take pictures and have them developed. Clay and a round tin with tin cookie cutters. Tin tea set.:)

Joe Riley and Ike Willis like this.
  10. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

When I was 10 years old, my Appendix burst and had to spend quite some time in the hospital.
    My Mom, with my brothers help, got me a Rocket Radio to pass the time.
    A crystal radio I would clip to something metal and move the tip of the 'rocket' till I heard some sounds.
    Super Cool. No batteries.

[​IMG]

11. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"No Batteries" is really cool!:cool:

Tim Burr likes this.
  12. Marilyn Pahl

Marilyn Pahl Veteran Member
    Registered

We had our fair share of toys, but they had to last more then a year or passing season. Of course back then, 40's many things were made out of tin with bright colored pictures. There must of been a big surplus of tin. Roller skates with the key to adjust to shoe size as well as tighten around the outside of the shoe size. Ice skates, about everybody in Waterville skated on the Maumee river. We had a bonfire skate on weekends at night. It was magical, roasted marshmallows, hot dogs, hot chocolate. Playing crack the whip one long line of skaters and hoped you didn't wind up on the end. Sledding was another favorite. For myself dolls were not my thing, folks asked me why I didn't want a doll? I'd tell them they just sit and stare at you, gives me the creeps.:)

Ike Willis likes this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Before the Lionel Trains, the Erector Set, from about age 6 on. After the trains, Gilbert Chemistry Set. That last culminated in the change (temporary) from Chemistry to High-Voltage experimentation.

Nuts then. Nuts now. Just ask Corie!
    Frank

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Unusual take on dolls.o_O
    [​IMG]

Ike Willis and Marilyn Pahl like this.