Favourite Condiment?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Lydia Williams, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Lydia Williams

Lydia Williams Veteran Member
    Registered

What's your favourite condiment?

I'm quite partial to ketchup and brown sauce, and usually keep both on my table during meals. I also quite like tartar sauce. I've never been a fan of any spicy sauces though, I can't tolerate much heat.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I actually have quite a few condiments. I think it runs in the family, we seem to collect them. Despite the variety, I would have to say mustard is probably my favorite, since I use it so much. Although I have about 4 different types, regular old yellow mustard is the one I use more frequently. And, I plan to add dry mustard to my collection, but I keep forgetting to buy it.

3. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I, too, am a ketchup fan. It goes so well with so many things. I especially like to add some horseradish to it, for seafood and also, as weird as it sounds, it's great on shredded lettuce.

What is brown sauce? I've never heard of it. And the follow-up question is where are you from? I find it interesting that people from different areas have such diverse tastes and use different condiments.

4. Dave Sun

Dave Sun Veteran Member
    Registered

When eating a hot dog I use these favorite condiments. Ketchup, mustard and pickle relish. Ketchup would be my favorite one.

Diane Lane likes this.
  5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

My favorite condiment depends on what I'm eating but I do use a lot of Tabasco sauce. ( I make my own ).

6. Mal Campbell

Registered

Wow, you make your own? I've never heard of someone doing that. How do you make Tabasco sauce, I mean I know they're made of hot peppers, but what do you do with them and what else is in it?

For some reason, I've never been a fan of hot dishes. I like foods to be spicy, but not hot, if that makes sense.

Do you live in the Deep South, by any chance?? :)

7. Diane Lane

Registered

I love horseradish with ketchup and lemon juice, for my seafood.

8. Diane Lane

Registered

I always have mustard and relish (dill) on my hot dogs and hamburgers, yum!

9. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Mal, I don't make Tabasco sauce in wooden barrels the way they do on Avery Island. We grow Tabasco peppers and can the red ones in the usual way. When I need sauce I drain the vinegar (saving it) from the jars then grind the peppers in the food processer. Then I drain them through cheesecloth squeezing ( wearing rubber gloves) to get all the juice out. Then I add back some of the vinegar to get the right consistency. I have several of the large Tabasco bottles that a restaurant gave me.
    As an added bonus I spread the leftover pepper mash on trays and put them in the dehydrator to make Tabasco powder.

I don't really know why I started doing this but It's kind of fun.

Not in the deep south, I live in Arkansas.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Diane Lane

Registered

Another favorite condiment of mine is sweet and sour sauce. I always have Asian-influenced food on New Year's Eve, and I made my own this year. I didn't have any sweet and sour sauce on hand, so I used a recipe I found online, and tweaked it with what I had in the pantry and refrigerator. It came out so delicious that I think I'll make it myself again in the future. I'll probably still keep a jar here for when cravings hit and I don't have the time, energy, and ingredients, to make it from scratch or semi-homemade, but it was much better than store bought sauce.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  11. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

I find Worcestershire Sauce is very versatile to adding a little extra 'bite' to a dish without making it taste 'hot'. I also use a lot of mustard, and I prefer the wholegrain type, which has mustard seeds in it. Mustard and mayo makes a simple sauce or dressing - with an additional splash of Worcesterhsire Sauce, of course.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Horseradish, and I'm going to start growing my own this year.

13. Mal Campbell

Registered

That sounds easy enough, though maybe a little labor intensive. It's neat that you use the leftover pepper mash and dehydrate it to make powder. Is it like using Cayenne pepper powder?

My mother-in-law loves to can and likes hot peppers. She usually just air dries them, then cuts them up to add to food. I'll have to mention this to her.