Favourite Leader

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by Patsy Faye, Jan 24, 2019.

1. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Watched a programme last night where the BBC chose 4 leaders to highlight and viewers were to
    choose their favourite.
    Highlighted were - Churchill - Nelson Mandela - Thatcher and Franklin D Roosevelt
    I could not choose between
    Mandela and Roosevelt.
    So impressed by both men
    Did Roosevelt capture your favour ?

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Can’t say I have a favorite....no matter who is in charge my life goes on and in the same way.

I’ll say I liked Kennedy the best but only because it was Camelot. :)

Can’t even remember who was the first president that I could vote for.

Too deep for me this early in the morning....I’ll probably get back to this post later when my mind is working.:)

I’m thinking Nixon was the first President I voted for....I was off to a great start, lol.

Also...maybe some of the leaders that ended the Cold War and communism in Eastern Europe and the taking down of the Berlin Wall....those to me were great moments in history....in my life at least.

Also liked Churchill but as portrayed in the Crown.

My family only came to the states in 1954 so Roosevelt wasn’t really part of my history....just what I learned in school.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2019
    Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  3. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yep - Kennedy was a definite favourite for me and his brother Bobby
    Learnt a lot about Roosevelt last night - he really did a lot for the people and very likeable too

Bobby Cole and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, Bobby also but Ted was a disaster!

Don Alaska, Patsy Faye and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Registered

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Dunno.
    Each leader had his own dynamics to deal with and different choices to make within the geopolitical parameters of their leadership.
    I realize I might be opening a can of worms here but as an example, no matter what Europe or the U.K. thinks, Napoleon was fantastic for the U.S.
    Without his war against the European coalition and the U.K. and dwindling finances, 1/3 of the U.S. would not exist today. Now, was Napoleon a great leader? According to some pretty hefty historians, he was indeed.

One that everyone will hate is Hitler. We can hate him all we want but he pushed for greater discoveries in physics, science, biology and engineering the likes of which was never seen before or since. At one point, he lead a relatively small country into taking a major dominant position in Europe and the Middle East. Cruel? yes. Bloody? yes. Had some psychological issues? yes. A great leader? absolutely

I really do not have a "favorite" leader because each one who made his or her mark in history had something which no one else had or has which made them distinctive and outstanding.
    I suppose if I were to pick a leader who changed the world in its entirety and is still being followed today it would be Jesus of Nazareth. There are a whole slew of people who will challenge His place as the Christ but none can challenge his place as a great and lasting leader.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yes of course you're right Bobby - thought it might be an interesting discussion is all
    As for Hitler - No, would not agree 'great leader' :)

@Bobby Cole

Lulu Moppet and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

It is absolutely a great thread topic Patsy! I'm not in any way trying to rain on your parade but simply offering up a couple of things that help determine what history is saying about a couple of them.
    People all over the world love some leaders and detest others but if we check off the actual accomplishments that each one made we'd get a little clearer picture of what their contributions were.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  9. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

10. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yes - that's right and why I wanted to hear people's thoughts.
    I really do think Hitler should have stuck his greatness up a telescope/microscope Bobby …………….. :p

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

It’s a matter of which side of the spectrum we are looking at.
    Example: To me, my favorite wood craftsman of all time is my dad. There was none who could do what he did or for that matter knew How to do what he did.
    That said, my dad was by no means my favorite person. There was a lot I didn’t like about him and we rarely spoke to each other for more than 25 years.

Thomas Jefferson to me was a fantastic leader and one of my favorites as a leader but do I like him as a favorite person? No.

12. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Jefferson and your dad are not easy comparisons to that guy. Try Stalin or Pol Pot or

13. Patsy Faye

Registered

@Bobby Cole - I take what you say Bobby and understand that view as its one I hold too on people
    But, I know you'll understand when I can't equate that same feeling towards H

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

What did Stalin or Pol Pot accomplish? Can anything good be attributed to either one?
    Look, I’m not trying to “compare” anything or anyone but merely giving a couple of examples of different ways a person can see things.

Hitler was by no means a great person which is something I already pointed out. That said, under his leadership a whole new world of physics and rocketry was brought in many years ahead of its time. Some of the engineering feats that were accomplished were phenomenal even though they were meant for war. The Volkswagen was an initiative that Hitler insisted on so that the average German could have a vehicle.
    Now, could the same things be accomplished under someone else’s leadership? Surely, at another time and another place the answer might be yes but history cannot predict what is going to happen or could have happened but can only say what has happened and who held the whip or olive branch at that time.

Look, I’m not defending the darned tyrant but if the question arises as to whether under his leadership were there some pretty great things done by great people under that leadership I’d have to say yes. He was the epitome of what a great community organizer is looking to do; make people follow.
    Was he and many others under his leadership guilty of abdominal war crimes? To that we can all say yes also.
    Does the good outweigh the bad? No indeed but did the vast majority of Germany follow him? yes.

Now to be back on topic; Was Hitler a “favorite” leader of mine. In short, no.

Don Alaska and Lulu Moppet like this.
  15. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I think a person can be a great leader in one situation, and not in another.

In my lifetime, I might pick Lyndon Johnson, and his leadership in passage of the Civil Right Act.

Patsy Faye and Lulu Moppet like this.