Fbi Says It Failed To Investigate Tip On Florida School Shooter

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Shirley Martin, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

The FBI received a tip last month that the suspect in the Florida school shooting had a "desire to kill" and access to guns and could be plotting an attack, but agents failed to investigate, the agency said Friday. Florida Gov. Rick Scott called for the FBI director to resign because of the agency's failure.

Attorney General Jeff Sessions said the shooting that killed 17 people Wednesday was a "tragic consequence" of the FBI's missteps and ordered a review of the Justice Department's processes. He said it's now clear that the nation's premier law enforcement agency missed warning signs.

In more evidence that there had been signs of trouble with suspect Nikolas Cruz, Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel said at a Friday news conference that his office had received more than 20 calls about him in the past few years.

A person who was close to Cruz called the FBI's tip line on Jan. 5 and provided information about Cruz's weapons and his erratic behavior, including his disturbing social media posts. The caller was concerned that Cruz could attack a school.

In a statement, the agency acknowledged that the tip should have been shared with the FBI's Miami office and investigated, but it was not. The startling admission came as the agency was already facing criticism for its treatment of a tip about a YouTube comment posted last year. The comment posted by a "Nikolas Cruz" said, "Im going to be a professional school shooter."

I wonder if they were too busy covering their butts ref the "Russian Collusion" to investigate the tip? IMO, heads should roll. Seventeen precious people dead because they sat around with their fingers up their butts.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

They really dropped the ball on this one....it makes me angry.

Can't imagine what the parents feel. :(

3. Shirley Martin

Registered

I can, Because I know how I feel. Multiply that by a million thousand tears and you can imagine how they must feel.

Patsy Faye and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Kitty Carmel likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Too many people involved in this whole thing, to not put the blame on someone. The couple he moved in with, now call him a "monster". They played the Good Samaritan thing, by letting him move in with them and look what happened. The kid has some really, really big issues going on and yet...........

6. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

Ok sorry to butt into American Politics which I have little Knowledge about.

The FBI dropped the ball overs this Nutter.

But Think Trump is right in taking the FBI to task over their actions to stop him being elected.

He is Draining the Swamp of the corrupt and it looks like the TOP FBI are corrupt

Holly Saunders likes this.
  7. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Oooh I agree with you @Tom Galty , as a Non American I feel like many non Americans that we CAN see the wood for the trees... not inferring that Americans can't either but when you're in the woods etc...

but , ...it's true what the OP says, from everything I've read there was more than one warning made about this murderer and it was ignored, so Trump has the right to be going after them.. perhaps not first and foremost but certainly they definitely need reigning in and completely reconstructed , I have no doubt that most of them are as corrupt as a £30 note.....and have got away with it for years.. but that's just my opinion. I'm not an American.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

What I'm saying though is that the FBI investigating what's going on in Washington has little to do with why they didn't investigate the tip that came into their Florida offices.

They dropped the ball in Florida...I don't know why but I doubt it is because they're busy with Trump...that's just an excuse.

There seems to be a lot of fake news on both sides of the aisle and I'm tired of it. Both sides always make it about politics.

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There were more than one report, apparently, and they weren't general in nature. One of them had included a screenshot of the guy's social media post where he said that he was going to be the next school shooter.

In reference to this unforgivable lack of follow up and a relationship to the Trump investigation - no, I don't believe that they didn't follow up on thee reports because they were busy investigating Trump, although that does make for a good sound bite, and certainly one that the other side would use if the roles were reversed. That's something more along the lines of political rhetoric than fake news, however, since we're hearing it from politicians and political commentators rather than from the news media. I think it's fair. Certainly, the other side would use it.

However, activities on the part of top-level people in the FBI does indicate that there were people within the agency, at the highest levels, who were more focused on politics than on their job. We don't know yet, and will probably never know how deeply this went, but there may have been a relationship. We know that there were people within the FBI who were spending their workday trying to influence or overturn the result of an election rather than doing whatever their job was.

I also wonder whether there are those who believe that the issue of gun banning is more important than the safety of children in our schools. I have no doubt that whenever there is a school shooting, the gun banners are ecstatic. Nothing better serves their goals as another school shooting. I don't think we can completely discount that there may be such people within the FBI, who would rather ban guns than save children.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't think there are people that are ecstatic about kids dying....that's just more political garbage, this time from the right.

I don't even think most of the people want all guns banned...I don't ...just the ones that make it easy to kill 17 in 3 minutes.

There is no need for a gun like that in my opinion.

Also...background checks need to be more thorough...he had police called to where he lived numerous times...obviously troubled...why wasn't that a reason to deny him a gun??

Last edited: Feb 20, 2018
    Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The FBI handles the background checks, which brings us back to the fact that they weren’t doing their job. What were they doing instead? Well, we know that some of them at least, were busy with partisan politics.

12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Probably in Washington but that doesn't excuse Florida.

13. Shirley Martin

Registered

"In a statement, the agency acknowledged that the tip should have been shared with the FBI's Miami office and investigated, but it was not. "

The blame lies with the Washington office. They never notified the Miami office.

They claim that they weren't able to locate the person who was first reported to them. Inefficiency at it's worst. If you give me your first and last name, even I could find you in a couple of hours.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

There were two separate incidents....one a year ago about a post on YouTube. That was sent to the General FBI tip hotline....

The other one was recent and sent to the FBI in Miami and that one named this Nikolas Cruz but nothing was done about it. That's the one I'm talking about.

It was someone who knew him and was worried about what he was saying and posting on his media sites.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  15. Shirley Martin

Registered

Go back and read the statement that the Washington FBI released. My first post about it.