Fidel Castro Is Dead

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Bobby Cole, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Fidel Castro died last night at the age of 90.
    According to radio news there are parties all over south Florida celebrating the "end" of a harsh regime but I for one am not too hopeful for the plight of Cuba.

Even though sanctions have been lifted and a more capitalistic type of society has sprung forward on the large island there is still one large catch in the mix. Fidel's brother, Raul, is an even more staunch follower of Communism than his now deceased dictator brother and will undoubtedly hold a heavier hand than was apparent before.

It's going to be interesting to watch what happens in the near future.

2. Gary Ridenour

Gary Ridenour Veteran Member
    Registered

and they celebrate in little Cuba

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yes, this is true. There was a great celebration in Cuba proper when Batista was deposed but what followed was a despot even worse than his predecessor.

I do realize that there are those who, if they were able, would have gone back to Cuba in order to relieve their country of the Marxist/Lennonist dictator and yes, I'm sure with much vengeance. So, with that in mind, a celebration would be appropriate and well understood but I still feel sorrow for those who are still under the military type regime of Raul.

Gary Ridenour likes this.
  4. Gary Ridenour

Registered

let's see if Bozo order's the flag lowered

Ike Willis and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Sadly, your foresight is a probability. I can also see the attendance of Obama, Biden, and/or Kerry at the burial ceremony.
    I do hope Fidel's earthly demise is a precursor to his after life for his wish was to be cremated.

Ike Willis likes this.
  6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

On sitting down with a dictator

From “Plain Speaking,” Merle Miller’s memorable oral biography of Truman:

“Ike didn’t know anything, and all the time he was in office he didn’t learn a thing,” Truman told Miller. “In 1959, when Castro came to power down in Cuba, Ike just sat on his [rear] and acted like if he didn’t notice what was going on down there, why, maybe Castro would go away or something.” The Russians quickly moved in to get Castro lined up on their side.

If he had been president at the time, Truman told Miller, “I’d have picked up the phone and called him direct in Havana. I wouldn’t have gone through protocol or anything like that. I’d have called him up, and I’d have said, ‘Fidel, this is Harry Truman in Washington, and I’d like to have you come up here and have a little talk.’

“He’d have come, of course, and he’d have come to the White House, and I’d have said, ‘Fidel, it looks to me like you’ve had a pretty good revolution down there, and it’s been a long time coming. Now you’re going to need help, and there’s only two places you can go to get it. One’s right here, and the other’s — well, we both know where the other place is. Now you just tell me what you need, and I’ll see to it that you get it.’

“Well, he’d have thanked me, and we’d have talked awhile, and then as he got up to go, I’d have said to him, ‘Now, Fidel, I’ve told you what we’ll do for you. There’s one thing you can do for me. Would you get a shave and a haircut and take a bath?”’

I guess he knew that Fidel was a hippie,at heart.;)

7. Gary Ridenour

Registered

Plain Speaking was turned into a PBS documentary in 1976. I saw it. one of the best ive seen. starred actor Ed Flanders. he was a spitting image of Truman including Truman's manner. I looked high and low for a copy. it was copy written by the Truman Library in Independence, mo. over the years the copy write was handed down to many people nationwide. I found it from some guy in CA and got permission for a copy thru the Library.

Bobby Cole and Joe Riley like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yup, when all else fails, youtube generally has at least a modicum of what we are trying to find.

Gary Ridenour likes this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

On the "First Family" album, by Vaughn Meader, the scene is at the UN, and they are taking orders for lunch. Fidel Castro says: "I'll have a cheekin sandwich........with a LIVE Cheekin"!:eek:

[​IMG]

Holly Saunders and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I remember that album well. Hilarious!

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

12. Gary Ridenour

Registered

that's actor James Whitmore. but in no way is that the real Truman. he was never that flamboyant

13. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe Truman was right about turning Fidel in our direction...we will never know. Castro's revolution might have been a "Really big show"!

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeah, I knew that but it was referenced in "plain speaking" by Merle Miller so I just went with it. I was truly hoping I might have found something for you.
    Back to the drawing board.

15. Gary Ridenour

Registered

don't bother I know who the man was. I got to meet him (Truman) Ed Flanders best portrayal of Truman was in the Movie MacArthur (1977) with Gregory Peck in the leading role. one of my favorites