Figured Out My Grocery Bill

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Denise Evans, Feb 3, 2024.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

..today and it cost $73 to buy 9.68 lbs of meat & fish. I got several cuts of beef (tri tip, round steak, and a top sirloin and 2 packs of wildcaught Alaskan Salmon) all but Salmon was 30% off or I couldn't have gotten so much. This is the first time I bought a bigger bunch, really wanted to stock up when they have such a good sale at our Safeway. Trying to shop smarter ;)

I do need to check and see how long it will stay good in my freezer because to me 39 day is a long time imo for leaving in store wrap! I do have a foodsaver with plenty of the wrap.

So I was sort of bummed about spending the money, but I then figured out I spent the $73 dollars all at once, and won't have to shop for awhile. I figured out how much that is for a meal (I only eat meat/fish for dinner, no side dishes). I know some would never eat like that but I've never felt better leaving out other carbs etc.

So I figure that's only about $1.87 a dinner. Hope I did that all right, because I felt I was spending much much more on foods. I guess I'm saving a lot by not buying more food products. I do buy Yogurt, eggs, sausage or bacon and didn't add those meats in. I will next time I figure it out. I just wanted to start with my meat as I was kind of concerned about getting enough of that, but I do ;) even with higher prices.

If I had a big fella to feed I wouldn't get off this easy :rolleyes: and I don't really know how families with kids are managing :(

2. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Thanks for supporting Alaska's fisheries!:)

3. Denise Evans

Registered

:DI love Alaskan salmon I can't think of the name of hand of the company but I won't buy Atlantic salmon at all which we get a lot of that and we get a lot of farmed salmon which I won't touch.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Denise, I think you did pretty good. I figured it to be $7.54 per pound. That's good with prices what they are nowadays.

My son says that if meats are vacuum packed, they will keep a long time. He has had his vacuum sealer a long time. I just recently got one. I have found that meats taste just as good as fresh, even weeks later. I suggest freezing enough for one meal in each pack. Then when you defrost it, you won't have any waste. "Waste not, want not." :)

5. Denise Evans

Registered

I make three meals in a row out of it so I eat the leftovers I just hit them in my convectional oven at 250 wrapped in foil and they stay medium rare I think I will use my FoodSaver tomorrow I put them all in the freezer today but I can take them out easily they're not vacuumed sealed they're just they just have like Saran wrap type coverings so yeah I'll use my food saver I mean what do I have it for right haha

6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Farmed salmon is almost exclusively Atlantic salmon, as it doesn't die after spawning. Do you have a favorite salmon? Most Alaskans are "salmon snobs" and eat Chinook (King), Coho (Silver), or Sockeye (Red). We usually don't eat Humpy (Pink) or Chum (Dog), although Chum produces the best salmon roe if you eat that.

Denise Evans likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Registered

"They" say don't freeze food in the wrappers that they came from the grocery store in.

Denise Evans and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

"They" are also saying that American beef herds are the lowest in over 70 years, and much of the world's beef is going to China, so if you like beef, stock up.

Mary Stetler and Denise Evans like this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Registered

Pun intended? :)

Denise Evans and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

I kind of had that feeling. I've done it with just 2 or so packages, but not when I'm going have them in the freezer longer. Honestly I've never bought this much meat and fish. My sister always talked about her FoodSaver and when I moved in here, I decided it was time to really settle in somewhere, and buy some extra "luxuries" :p

Thanks much for your tips because there's a lot I don't know about meats, cooking, freezing, etc ;)

Shirley Martin likes this.
  11. Denise Evans

Registered

I really shouldn't be surprised, it figures when I finally am eating a healthy way, for me anyway, that I start hearing about China. Not quite sure what they are putting on the land they've purchased here in the U.S. :mad: That sad part I was thinking about lastnight was how most of the Chinese population doesn't probably have much money at all, a lot of slave-type labor I've heard. The leaders are filthy rich I'm betting though. Hmm, that sounds a lot like what America is coming to:rolleyes:

12. Denise Evans

Registered

Hey Don, those packages no longer say "wildcaught" on them, I just noticed when I wanted to tell you the company. It's called Alaska Foods and google says they're building a new facility in Wasilla. The packages have a sticker that says "Wild Alaska Seafood" Product of USA. It's pre-frozen of course, but I think it's delicious. I can slice a typical piece I can afford into 4 to 5 ounces each, then just heat up leftover in my Convectional oven. I only see it show up at our Grocery Outlet and it usually as just a few days "sell by" date but I will either cook some day, or re-freeze it. It's not kept frozen in the GO.

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Denise Evans

Registered

Right now they had Sockey in the store, so that's what had tried before, and loved it. I've don't recall if I had the King or Coho, but maybe I have. I do love the Sockeye but I'll keep my eyes open for the other. I'm not a food snob, but I like to get the best I can afford for my health. I decided that was a good idea since with my luck I'll probably live to be 100, or more, argggg:oops: It's just the way the world is, not sure I want to be around for the finale:D

I've tried some supposedly Cod, but it's not like the Alaskan Cod I've had. It used to be labeled just rock-fish, and I didn't like it that much, but this "Rock Fish Cod" they call it is ok. I don't like the extra bones in it. Your Humpy and chum doesn't even sound appetizing, LOL! Maybe I am a Salmon snot, :eek: Edit: btw, I'm nuts about Halibut too ;)

Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Denise you are way ahead of me on figuring out your grocery bill. All I know is that it's considerably higher than it was a year ago.

15. Denise Evans

Registered

I'm sure mine is higher too Vada, I just did this for the first time because I wanted to stock up, and feel it's way better to do that rather than go shopping once a week, and not just count on getting luck on sales because I don't take the alerts on sales coupons etc. Maybe that's next for me :rolleyes: Safeway here has a specific bin they put the 30% mardowns in, and you can't ring them in yourself at the self-serve checkout, a gal has to do it for you so it takes a little longer, but I think worth it ;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.