Finally, Crafts For Me, Mr. Thumbs!

Discussion in 'Hobbies & Crafts' started by Richard Paradon, Mar 22, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Since I have zero ability when it comes to crafts I wonder if I should buy a Lego Set! There is nothing for me to break, no rules or color coordination and when I get bored I can just put it away or give it to one of the kids in the neighborhood.

When I was a boy I had a basic "Lincoln Logs" set and was pretty much able to build a log cabin so I can build something! If they still make it, I guess I could also buy a "Paint by Numbers" set and become the latest top artist. Grandma Moses did it at an old age but of course she did not need the numbers. I guess Tinker Toys would be another option!

2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

As an adult I enjoyed using Lego with my nephews when they were young. A few years ago I bought a simple kit to make a wall clock that featured paints and a paint-by-numbers picture of a tiger. I think it was for children over a certain age, but I enjoyed doing it and the result was much admired.

When I was a child it was before Lego was invented. I had a toy house building kit, which would not be allowed today because it used steel rods which fit into a base with holes in and then the bricks would slide down between them.

Richard Paradon likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I remember Tinker Toys, and I loved my set of those. I think that i probably spent hours and hours building things until I eventually outgrew those and learned other crafts to do in spare time.
    Onw of the things that I really enjoyed was woodburning. My mom got me a small woodburning set, and it came with some little printed boards to use and learn the art of woodburning.
    I never became really proficient in it; but it was enjoyable, and since I also liked to draw; I was able to draw my own pictures and then woodburn those. I think that i even painted some of them afterwards to give them a little more color and dimension.
    Who else enjoyed woodburning, and what did you make with it ?

4. Richard Paradon

Registered

@Ruth Belena @Yvonne Smith I guess come payday, I will have to go to Thailand's version of Toys-R-Us and get something for my child - the child in me, that is!

5. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Richard, that is a wonderful idea; by all means , go and get something that you think will be a lot of fun ! ! Then , let us know what you are doing, and how well you are enjoying it.
    You know, even men are relaxing with easy hobbies like knitting or crocheting, and other similar crafts; maybe there is something along that line that you would like to do.
    And you could always take up gardening , I really enjoy that, and so does Bobby. Or just go for a walk and take some pretty snapshots of your town.
    You live in a unique place that most of us have never seen except in pictures; and it would be awesome to have "guided tour" of Thailand .

6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I enjoyed playing with Lego toys when my grandson's were smaller. I would not have a problem purchasing a set just for me to play with. They have gotten so grown up that any age can get a set and have lots of fun.

7. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

That was the fun thing about having a child. I got to play with all his toys and watch cartoons and tell stupid, one-liner jokes (like knock, knock jokes). It's so much fun, and great for the heart, to just act like a kid.

As to the Lego's - go for it. They can be a bit expensive, but they are a lot of fun to play with. My son was always meticulous, even at 4 or 5 years old. He would build the kit according to directions. Once it was built, he put it on a shelf and was done with it. I liked taking them apart and trying to come up with new things to make, and he would get so upset with me!

8. Richard Paradon

Registered

[QUOTE="Yvonne Smith, post: 3972, member: 3" Or just go for a walk and take some pretty snapshots of your town.
    You live in a unique place that most of us have never seen except in pictures; and it would be awesome to have "guided tour" of Thailand .[/QUOTE]

Thanks Yvonne. I do plan to carry my camera with me more often as when I don't have it the best photo opps seem to turn up! I went to the mall the other day and found some interesting things that quirked my interest. One was foil etching. I was really tempted to buy it, but then I had to think of my artistic ability and maybe I should play with aluminum first! A lot cheaper! As far as gardening, it is just not my cup of tea.

9. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

I am afraid that I was never good at building anything with Lincoln Logs, Tinker Toys, Erector Sets, ect. And my paint by number pictures looked like modern art!! Just a mess. I did learn to crochet put only managed to do afghans with simple patterns. I tried knitting but never could do that either. I do have a daughter who does all kinds of complicated knitting and crocheting patterns. She does such lovely things. My mother and one of my sisters are wonderful artists. So I guess I will just admire other people's accomplishments and be grateful for the people who are able to create beautiful things.

Yvonne Smith and Richard Paradon like this.
  10. Michelle Stevens

Michelle Stevens Veteran Member
    Registered

I always stick to simple patterns too, mainly because I always do my handwork while watching television, so I don't want to do something that required a lot of concentration. I actually prefer knitting, but I hate sewing, so I've been trying to make things that don't need much assembling afterwards. I've just finished making a crocheted blanket to give to the poor and my tension is so odd that the thing is all misshapen. Looking at it is so frustrating, but I suppose it will do its job of keeping someone warm. Now if I could just work out how to prevent that happening again...

11. Richard Paradon

Registered

Hey Joyce, you and I should establish a club for those of us who can't be creative! We can just sit down and do nothing! LOL My Mom's desire seemed to be to crochet the world. She could do anything. She tried to teach me but all I could do was a one stitch very long chain!

12. Joyce Mcgregor

Joyce Mcgregor Veteran Member
    Registered

My Mother was a very talented lady. She did all kinds of painting to include oils, acrylics (she even thought a class at the senior center she went to), water colors, charcoals and pencils, both colored and just regular writing pencils. She also did scupting, both using wood, stone and soap. As well as the most beautiful ceramics using all of the different kinds of paints and glazes and even creating her own molds. She also wrote a gardening column in a newspaper that was delivered in the area we lived in. And to top it all off, she was a fantastic gardener. I always felt sort of on the "fringes." But,, I am a very good cook!