Fires Starting Already In 2024!

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 28, 2024.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have a raging fire, completely out of control in northern Texas. People were first told to evacuate from the town of Canadian, Texas, and then told that the roads were blocked and to try and shelter in place, sounding a lot like what happened in Maui last year.
    Now, they are reporting that one of our main nuclear weapons storages is in the line of where the fire is heading for, which is a very serious thing to have happening.
    This is making me wonder if it was some kind of terrorist planned attack, and was deliberately set to wipe out the nuclear base located near the fire.

IMG_6104.jpeg

2. Yvonne Smith

Look at the size of the fire and smoke compared to the highway ! This is flat desert land, why so much smoke…. What is burning to cause all that smoke ?

IMG_6106.jpeg

3. Vada Bloom

Vada Bloom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yvonne, I just noticed news about these fires this morning and they are scary for sure. I've been through Amarillo many times but did not know of Pantex.

We have been having fires along the front range in Colorado too but not nearly on that scale, so far. There was one this week on the Air Force Academy that was concerning because it was moving off their property close to a neighborhood of homes. It has been very windy here which adds to the danger. Yesterday brought some rain and snow which helped. I hope there is some rain in the forecast for TX.

4. Yvonne Smith

Some pictures of the town of Canadian are now starting to emerge, so some people are either still there, or able to go back in now. this looks like some of those other pictures we have been seeing of wildfires where the homes and vehicles are totally incinerated, but trees look untouched.
    (Screenshot from a video I was watching)

IMG_6108.jpeg

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Not to get too "off-topic" here, but we've been to Colorado Springs a number of times. We are member of the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame there (public members, that is). We've lived in both Parker, CO and Loveland, CO. A number of years ago, went to a Cowboy's VS Air Force College football game at the Academy Stadium. Great time!

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Yvonne, we seen video/pictures of both fires this morning on our local news. All we could say to each other was "WOW". We remember, when we lived in Colorado, a major fire that broke out in the mountains just northwest of us. There was some talk about evacuating the city of Loveland, but that never happened. However, a very large smoke cloud was seen over Loveland and I got both video and pictures of that. It was truly scary.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Vada Bloom

Registered

I suppose those trees will likely die from the heat. I sure hope things get better down there soon. I looked up some news and saw this:

The Smokehouse Creek Fire is now the second-largest wildfire in state history, according to the Texas A&M Forest Service, which said the fire has grown to an estimated 500,000 acres.

I also saw that the danger is apparently over for the nuclear storage, Pantex.

Cody, I've noticed your mentions of Loveland. Strangely enough I was only there once to attend a conference although I've been most places in the state. Did you ever come to CS to attend the Pikes Peak or Bust rodeo or further south for the state fair rodeo? I've been to both but not for some years. You can answer me elsewhere if that would be better.

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Wildfire is my single biggest fear here, but fire season won't start here for a few months, as everything is still covered by feet of snow. The location of the fires do seem to hint at a possible terrorist link, especially with so many men of military age streaming across the border unchecked. You know boys and fire....

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Fires everywhere here. We were put on alert Monday for possible evacuation.So far so good.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  11. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I wish you good luck @Hedi Mitchell . I know what it is like.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  12. Vada Bloom

Registered

Large grass fire burning near Cheyenne in Wyoming threatening homes

CHEYENNE, Wyo. (KKTV) - A large brush fire was burning near Cheyenne, Wyoming on Friday and was threatening homes.

Just before 1:30 p.m., the Wyoming Department of Transportation announced homes were being evacuated along Wy211 and Horsecreek Road. The area is northwest of Cheyenne.

“If you have been evacuated, Patrol is requesting individuals/animals/etc. to muster at the Tractor Supply store off the I-25 frontage road,” a social media post by WYDOT read.

Details on the possible size of the fire were not available last time this article was updated, but officials were concerned about high winds and asked the public to avoid the area.

https://www.kktv.com/2024/03/01/large-grass-fire-burning-near-cheyenne-threatening-homes/

It's dry and windy up there as it is all along the front range in Wyoming and Colorado.