First Credit Card?

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 31, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

For many years I couldn't get a credit card, because I wasn't stable enough and/or had a good enough salary. After wife and I bought our house here in Colorado, which was my first home buy and I was 52, pre-approved credit cards started rolling in to us. I was totally shocked, because I had never owned a credit card.

The last credit card I've got is Amazon, and, due to our lower income, was very surprised that I was approved for it.

How old were you when you got your first one?

Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Surprisingly, I was 18. I worked part-time at Sears when I graduated from high school and was starting college. I needed tires for my car and went to the credit department in the store where I worked. I was able to get a very small credit account limit and bought the tires one at a time. :D My dad was so proud of me for buying my own tires!

3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I must have been in my late 30's back in the early 80's. Had a good steady job, but Discover still wouldn't approve me the first time. Made it on the second try.

A few years later, the credit card companies started sending invitations in the mail (to everyone, not just me).

Bess Barber likes this.
  4. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

My first credit card was Discover.

Bess Barber likes this.
  5. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

My first card was Discover. I paid off Discover and closed out my account after about three years.
    Then I got an American Express for Travel Expenses with I was a purchasing agent. Then I got a
    Master Card for business travel and personal use. It's hard to handle travel expenses with out a
    credit card. I still have the Master Card but have resisted other credit card offers. I went several
    years when I didn't travel for any company without a credit card. I always feared getting in too deep
    with a credit card because that can be a heavy burden.

Bess Barber and Lois Winters like this.
  6. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

My first card was a Sears card that I got when I was 19. That was in the 50s and I had that card until sometime in the 80s.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We had (note word, "had") a Bass Pro credit card, but because we didn't use it enough, our account was closed. Some other cards we had, we turned into a Debt Relief Program. Paid them so much a month for all the cards we gave them, until the cards were paid off and accounts were closed. That didn't hurt our credit rating/score at all. Surprising, but it didn't.

8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My first credit card was issued in my name, but it was only for expenses relating to my position as program chairman of the EMT department at TSTC. I used it mostly for travel, conferences, and other activities relating to the EMT program. It was a Discover Card. I don't remember what the first card that I applied for myself was, but it was probably a Mastercard. Today, although I have a couple of credit cards for emergencies, I mostly use my Paypal debit card.

9. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

It was back in the dark ages when banks were reluctant to give women cards because, well, they weren't....men....

I had a very-well-paying job with a major city newspaper and applied for a charge card. The bank issued it in my husband's name with an extra card for me (with his name on it).

NOW, mind you, my husband was a full-time doctoral student with no income other than the GI Bill, which went largely for tuition and books and an occasional gig here and there.

The bills were paid totally from my income but I couldn't get a card because.....altogether now.....I wasn't a man. I was a woman of childbearing age who just might fall down and come up pregnant.

When we bought a house the next year, I had to declare that I didn't plan to procreate again, but that's another rant for another day.......

10. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I had Sears and J C Penny cards back when store cards were the only option. I don't remember when I got my first VISA card but it was long ago.

I keep and use two cards now, Discover and VISA

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Isn't it infuriating to think back on those days??? I very well recall when women weren't allowed to have credit in their own name. Also, as recently as the mid '80s our family was complete and after the birth of my youngest son I scheduled a tubal ligation. The nurse brought in a consent form THAT MY HUSBAND HAD TO SIGN. :mad::mad: I didn't have the right to make decisions about my own BODY. In the mid-1980s!

So many things have changed for women; my daughters have no idea what it was like 'in olden days.' :D

And now, back to the credit card discussion. :p

Last edited: Dec 31, 2019
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

My first credit card wasn’t actually a credit card as such. I was on the New Orleans city ledger which served as a kind of universal credit throughout New Orleans. The city did however issue me a Diner’s Club Card and a Carte Blanche when they found that the ledger was getting too difficult to manage.
    All that said, I rarely used the privilege and later when I got my American Express card, I used it even less so that went down the tubes quickly.
    Today, I deal in straight up cash.
    Like Dave Ramsey, my credit score is “0” and that’s the way I like it.

Bess Barber likes this.
  13. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I had a couple of department store cards and regular credit card in my 20's. I was having a really good time until I couldn't pay them. Had to go to my Dad. He told me that taking something out of the store I didn't have the money to pay back was no different than shop lifting. In my great grief of disappointing him, I never used anything but a gas credit card and debit card for the rest of my years. No telling how much trouble his words saved me from. :)

14. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I was 22

15. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not one of those who have a long string of credit cards unreeling from their wallets when they open them...I have but ONE card...my VISA, and at the checkstands when they ask "credit or debit"? I NEVER say debit!

Credit transactions are between me and the creditor...I don't want a THIRD party balancing my account!

Hal