Flu, Despite Flu Shot

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frank Sanoica, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Shirley Martin likes this.
  2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

They claim you cannot force them to not have a vaccine but they can force you to have a vaccine

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Nobody is forced to get the flu shot.

4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin
    Thought I was, and today.......stuffy sinuses again.
    Frank

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think it's the flu but there is something going around here. It's a tough customer. I had it right after Christmas and it took three weeks for me to get over it. Some people are having to take two rounds of antibiotics to get rid of it.

6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Well it's been over two weeks since my husband and I got our flu shots and since our Doctor said it takes two weeks for the flu shot to kick and we have passed that mark by four days I guess it may be safer to go out and run some errands this week.
    As much as possible we were avoiding people and places that could expose us to the flu germs before our shots kicked in. And we still will limit these things since the flu is so bad this year.

How many of y'all were sick with the flu this year? I know there is still plenty of time left to catch it but I'm just wondering about those who already did and how bad was it for them?

7. Shirley Martin

Registered

@Babs Hunt , I don't know of anybody who has had the flu but I know a lot of people who have had the crud that I had. The symptoms are different from the flu. No fever, just a stuffed head and a bad cough.

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I rarely ever get sick because I have a vigorous immune system; so there is no reason for needing the flu shot for me. However, I can see that it would be very important for someone who has a weaker immune system, and the vaccine gives your body a “taste” of the virus so that it can fight it off and build up an immunity towards getting the actual flu virus itself.
    I think that some people, those who get the shot and then immediately come down with the flu, are probably people with badly compromised immune systems, and they can’t even battle off the dead virus in the vaccine. Of course, sometimes, live virus have occasionally been found in the vaccine, and that would be even more likely to give a weaker immune system a dose of the flu virus.
    Since antibiotics are worthless against a virus, the doctors can not even treat someone who has a flu virus with antibiotics.

9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

10 days ago, I was feeling pretty well out of the woods. This morning, we went for breakfast, then groceries at Safeway, Smith's, came home, no symptoms other than feeling a bit weak: the way I work on the car, I figure, no surprise. 6PM chills, temp. 99.7. Twenty minutes later 100.4.

Can flu actually return?
    Frank

10. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know the answer to that question @Frank Sanoica but it seems you have been dealing with this "flu" for quite awhile now. I would go to see a Doctor because it just may be something else altogether that you are dealing with...maybe even something that you may need a prescription for.

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Shirley Martin

Registered

@Frank Sanoica ,If you were well ten days ago, it's highly unlikely to be the same virus. You might have picked up a different one while you were out. How are you today?

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Tired of hearing about my flu problem? Hope not. This morning it was 100.4 degrees, our blood draw scheduled for afternoon. My wife called Dr. and he said if I feel up to going to the blood-letting, go ahead. We went. Learned he had not ordered the one panel I wanted most: no Hepatic Panel. Had asked his receptionist to include GGT, which is an extra-cost liver enzyme test, not done. PSA, Thyroid, CBC, etc. was done, I assume kidneys too.

Later this afternoon, the temp. was 101.1! Took combination cold capsule, which contains acetaminophen, it went down to 99.9, so guess NSAIDS do lower fever.

Been 4 days now. Wish I knew where this is going. Frank

13. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Been 8 days now, no change. Near-constant fever 99+ to 100+, never drops to normal unless I take Acetaminophen. Tomorrow: Dr. office 10:00 AM. I've searched myself silly looking for recurring fever causes, recall reading long ago various blood dyscrasias (cancers) can cause them, got the blood draw Wednesday, then frighteningly awaited results, which became available Friday morning. Relieved, I could not believe how closely the results matched "center of the range" values. I know my Dr. is going to praise my results as being "better" than his own, but last time, no fever was involved.

Back tomorrow night.
    Frank

Holly Saunders likes this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I had that in December , it was horrible, I coughed almost constantly day and night for 5 weeks....and sinuses blocked, I've never had sinus problems in my life. TBH..the whole of December and even January I felt like garbage... Now we're in February and the cough has all has gone but I've been unable to get rid of the congestion on my chest despite using the usual OTC meds...so the doctor has just prescribed me some meds to shift it. Fingers crossed, because this has been over 2 months now...

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  15. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

This was told to me years ago....

If you are ill and you look out of your window and see a$100 bill(£50 to none Americans) on your front lawn... if you just have a cold you get up to pick it up.

If you have the Flu you leave it there.

Holly Saunders and Frank Sanoica like this.