Flu, Despite Flu Shot

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Frank Sanoica, Jan 11, 2018.

1. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

So when I went to do this post yesterday I seemed to have taken too long, and the timeclock erased it. Will try again with a shorter version. From personal experience over the last ten plus years, I do not buy the AMA claim that antibiotics do nothing for the flu, and I view the flu shot as a hit or miss kinda thing (mostly a miss). For the last couple years I have been wearing the surgical mask whenever I go outside, and been using Ozium inside, so my flu frequency is way down, but before that I would get the flu at least once or twice a year, and sometimes 4 or 5 times a year. Up until about 2 or 3 years ago, I would get the flu, go to the doctor, get antibiotics, and 3 or 4 days later the flu was gone; this happened year after year, not counting the rare year that the flu shot actually worked. About 2 o 3 years ago, the AMA seems to have issued an edict to the doctors 'thou shalt not give up the antibiotics til the patient has one foot in the grave'. Since then I get the flu, the doctor refuses to give antibiotics (but will blow copious amounts of smoke up my tailpipe), and I get to go home and suffer the flu for at least a week, usually 2 or 3 weeks. Considering how many time a year I have gotten the flu over the last decade, and how many times the flu 'automagically' disappeared within three or four days of taking antibiotics, and how long it sticks around without antibiotics, I do not consider this a fluke or coincidence....I do consider the AMA edict a bunch of hogwash!

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Why would a person take an untested medicine which has proven dangerous substances in it. With no testing to prove it woks for the flu that is out at that time. Brain washing comes to mind

Yvonne Smith and Neville Telen like this.
  3. Neville Telen

Registered

With the flu shot, I agree. I think its all CDC guesswork, and having taken it for at least ten years, I can say they guess wrong most of the time. Wearing the surgical mask is far more effective. If I could keep it on all the time I was outside, I suspect I would never have the flu. Unfortunately I have to go to the bank twice a month, the guard requires me to remove it while inside, and I'd bet that is exactly where I am getting nailed. I still take the pneumonia shot every five years, but that is all since I started wearing the mask.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

They are wrong 80% of the time, but the theory is that if you get the shot every year, you will eventually have some immunity to all the strains of influenza. The masks have been proven to reduce influenza significantly, but the alcohol-based hand cleaners do not; they still encourage people to use them even though they have been proven to be ineffective against Influenza viruses.

Neville Telen likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just like it always has, our Senior Flu Shot sure has helped us.

Don Alaska and Frank Sanoica like this.
  6. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Wearing a mask might help but if somebody who has the flu touches a surface, you touch the same surface then your nose, eyes or mouth, you most likely will catch their virus.

Don Alaska likes this.
  7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

That is very true. Don't touch your face during flu season without washing with soap and water first. And it is better not to eat with your fingers....

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think that at least part of the answer to your question lies in the fact that so many people (and maybe especially seniors) have compromised immune systems, and they simply do not have the natural immune response that someone with a powerful immune system has. They actually need that taste of the flu virus so that their immune system can fight off the small dose, and have as much ability as possible to stand off an actual influenza attack.

It is a well-known fact that if three people are subjected to the same exposure of a virus or bacterial attack, the person with a low immune system will be hit full force with the flu, the one with a normal immune system will probably still get the flu; but not as bad as the first person.
    The one that has a strong immune system will just barely feel it as their body fights off the virus; but they will not be incapacitated by the flu.

Personally, my way of preparing for the flu season is just to do everything that I can to keep my immune system working at peak capacity, so that even if I come in contact with a virus, I have a much better chance of not getting sick.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Neville Telen

Registered

Well I don't know how much credence I'd put in that theory, considering the flu viruses are supposed to be constantly changing (mutating?), it sounds like "eventually" means no one will live that long to see the day. The hand cleaners fad sounds suspiciously like the 1950s idea of building fallout shelters in your backyard, to keep the masses busy and too distracted to realize it's an exercise in futility.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  10. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Did she, or any doctor, or any person EVER hand you a proof that masks work ? ANy study, any time , ever ?
    hint: no. EVEN the doctors were and are surprised !

How about excerpts from this little bit of research today >>

"Why Won't Anyone Publish the Danish Mask Study ...
    principia-scientific.com/why-wont-anyone-publish-the-danish-mask-study/

Speaking to Nature in October 2020, Benfield said his team wasn't yet ready to share the study's results. In truth, three medical journals — The Lancet, the New England Journal of Medicine and the Journal of the American Medical Association — have refused to publish the study, leading to speculation that it reveals a message that goes against the status quo.

"Are Face Masks Effective? The Evidence. - Swiss Policy ...
    swprs.org/face-masks-evidence/

An overview of the current evidence regarding the effectiveness of face masks. 1. Studies on the effectiveness of face masks. So far, most studies found little to no evidence for the effectiveness of face masks in the general population, neither as personal protective equipment nor as a source control."

subject to verification: "More Than a Dozen Credible Medical Studies Prove Face Masks Do Not Work Even In Hospitals!"

"1981: Surgeon's medical mask study concludes, "minimum ...
    jdfor2020.com/2020/08/1981-surgeons-medical-mask-study-concludes-minimum-contamination-can-best-be-achieved-by-not-wearing-a-mask-at-all/

1981: Surgeon's medical

"mask study concludes,

"minimum contamination can best be achieved by not wearing a mask at all" ... Dr. Orr was a surgeon in the Severalls Surgical Unit in Colchester. And for six months, from March through August 1980, the surgeons and staff in that unit decided to see what would happen if they did not wear masks ...

"A 1981 British publication by Dr. Neil Orr reported on a trial in patients in a 40-bed surgical ward that focused on cholecystectomies, gastrectomies, thyroidectomies, bowel resections, prostatectomies, herniorrhaphies as well as cystoscopies, bronchoscopies, and gastroscopies. The analysis looked at throughput, wounds, and infection rates ..."

11. Jeff Elohim

Jeff Elohim Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

So the last two years publicly, world wide, has been an exercise in futility ? (actually worldwide 6000 per day 'known' deaths since 2011 (12,000 per day in 2020) when air pollution restrictions were dropped )

Saw this headline(s) recently (in the last month or so):

1)Air pollution in China is killing 4,000 people everyday...
    2)Polluted air causes 5.5 million deaths a year new research ...
    3)Chart: Deaths From AirPollutionWorldwide | Statista

Even though India and China have the most deaths from air pollution worldwide with 1.61 and 1.58 million respectively, the statistics paint a different picture when it comes to age-standardized ...