Fluctuating Blood Pressures

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Up until the time that I was hospitalized for 6-7 weeks for a strangulated hernia, with a subsequent bacterial infection that required a designer antibiotic (as drug-resistance bacteria are fairly common near the border, thanks to loose border controls), my blood pressure had always been very low. When relaxed, my systolic was usually in the 80s, while my diastolic could reach the mid- to high-40s or low 50s. That was a normal blood pressure for me, and it didn't cause any problems, except that they would have to reset the automatic warnings in the hospital or I'd be setting it off all the time.

For reasons that were never explained to me, by the time they were able finally to get rid of the bacterial infection that I caught during the operation on a strangulated hernia, my blood pressure was high. They were giving me medication to lower my blood pressure while I was in the hospital.

By the time I was discharged, my blood pressure was at a normal level for regular people, but much higher than it had ever been before, and I couldn't get any doctors to take that seriously since it was a normal blood pressure.

Over the years, it began going back down again, but it never reached the levels it had been before. In the past few years, however, it has been fluctuating wildly. I take my blood pressure at home, both manually and digitally, and it is up and down a lot, but never down as low as what used to be normal for me. Usually, it stays within the range of a normal blood pressure but sometimes it is in the upper levels of that range, or even higher.

The only pattern that I have been able to determine is that the automatic blood pressure reader at my doctor's office is wrong. Every single time they take my blood pressure there, the first reading will be high, to the point that my doctor starts talking to me about medication. But when I can convince them to wait five minutes and take it again, it will be in the normal ranges. Also, when I get a nurse who will agree to take it manually rather than through their automatic machine, the first reading will usually be in the normal ranges.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a cuff at home and my readings are pretty normal on it, sometimes a little low and then I panic and drink coffee to try and bring it up.

But when I go to the drs it's always higher than at home but still in the normal range...don't know if I should trust my cuff or not.

What scares me is my app to take my pulse on my iPhone.

My pulse is usually less than 60 which would be great if I was was super fit but I'm not...it's usually in the 50's and then I think I'm dying, lol.

My pulse will read slightly higher on my BP cuff but not by much.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

No idea for sure, @Ken Anderson, but I would guess that perhaps the antibiotic you took to save your life may have damaged your kidneys. If you can find out (or if you remember) what class of drug you took. Aminoglycosides would be a good choice against the gram-negative intestinal flora that may have been the cause of your infection, but they are also know to cause kidney and ear damage in large doses over a period of time.

https://www.emedexpert.com/classes/antibiotics.shtml#8

Like many things, the automated blood pressure cuff are good for screening or telemetric monitoring, but they are not as accurate or consistent as "real" manual pressure by a skilled and trained person, but that varies among personnel as well, depending on how they choose the "endpoints" and how good their hearing is. Also, hospital equipment is maintained and may be calibrated, while doctor's office equipment often is not, and home equipment is never checked. I would choose one method and use that to monitor your BP, and ask for a "repeat" on the other arm if you are in a meical office.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

My heart dr. has me take mine 3times in a row...digital monitor. Then he does the math and averages it out. He also said blood pressure varies all day long..low and high. I asked when should I worry..he said 250! Damn doc I could be dead by then...he says no.
    Sometimes it gets really low and then gets high. After I got sick last year...he said he wanted it in the 140-150 range.
    Most if the time it is much lower Plus what you eat effects blood pressure...even the next day.
    Ken consult your dr if you worry...

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I think the body know the right blood pressure for what is going on in the body. The idea of the body making a mistake makes me laugh. If your blood pressure is high there is a reason for it like you are exercising or in a stress full time. If your brain needs more oxygen probably the blood pressure will increase for that to happen. To take a drug to lower that so the brain gets less oxygen would be a bad idea. I have help people lower their blood pressure just by learning to relax. Please give the body credit for knowing what to do if the pressure is high or low there is a reason and it is not a deficiency of drugs.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I ALWAYS have my blood pressure taken 2 or 3 times when I go to the doctor's office. The first time is always extremely high, then with each added test it gets lower.
    My VA doctor told me that a lot of her vets are the same way so she has her nurses test at least twice in order to allow the patient to settle down a bit. Something about a subconscious anxiety.

One other thing that our cardiologist told Yvonne and myself was when the Blood Pressure is up, then the heart rate is generally down and vice versa.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson
    Two things come to mind. First, of course, "White-coat Hypertension", the body's reaction to anticipating the doctor's presence. Seems to explain why successive readings within a few minutes often go considerably lower, both sys and dias.

Second, more in line with your years' of experience is that, as we age, our "normal" resting BP tends to increase gradually. Over the years, may be your "key".
    Frank

Ken Anderson and Don Alaska like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

My doctor is not so scary and her nurses, not at all.

Actually, the end of my typical low blood pressure came about over a matter of weeks, while I was in the hospital for a bacterial infection. "Over the years," it came back down somewhat, but not to its previous level.

9. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Ken have you taken probiotic after your use of antibiotic, because antibiotics will kill the bacteria in the large intestine that we need for good health. We need that balance in the gut for health. You also can get those good bacteria through fermented foods or yogurt.

10. Ken Anderson

The antibiotics were almost two decades ago and yes, I eat yogurt often.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I went for my annual check up a few days ago and I experienced the same thing with my blood pressure. The nurse took it 3 times; it started out high and got progressively lower with each reading. I don't understand why that is; I am at the doctor for routine stuff and no scary diagnosis, so I don't believe the "white coat syndrome" thing affects me. It is peculiar how the readings vary significantly just a minute or so apart.

12. Ken Anderson

My first B/P is always high. When they wait a few minutes and take it again, it will be normal.

13. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@Beth Gallagher ..my cardio doctor Says BP varies off and on all day. Always had me take three times...add up then divide by 3 ...that is the average.

Frank Sanoica and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Mine has gone from very high to way too low now... that is an issue for now.
    Probably is why I am so tired out.

15. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It’s the same thing with me Ken. I have to insist that they retake my BP every time I go to the doctor’s office.

One thing I have learned from the cardiologist is that generally speaking, the lower the heartbeat the higher the blood pressure will be and visa versa. In so saying, a normal heart beat should produce a normal BP reading.
    For me, it seems to work out that way. If I raise my heart rate up to around 90-100 BPM I’ll get that 120 over 80 or so otherwise I’m normal at around 135-140 over.