Folks Affected By Firearms

Discussion in 'Guns & Weapons' started by Frank Sanoica, Jan 30, 2019.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I live alone now and my situation is different. However, when my two youngest kids were very challenging teens and I was menopausal, a gun in my house could've possibly been a recipe for me ending up with a prison sentence. :D

2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson "If the SHTF, the first and most dangerous enemy of the people will the members of the local police department, followed by whatever remnants of government remain. I don't want them to be the only ones who are armed."

There are indeed already countries, though I cannot name them with certainty, Japan is perhaps one, where the only people able to take action armed with firearms are those in charge of running the country. As a young man I seriously considered a move to Australia, which was offering generous compensation to technically-degreed folks to move there and work there. Considered that is, until I learned my guns must remain elsewhere. I thought: Australia, of all places? With such broad expanse of desolation and low population density? Hard to imagine it disarmed.

Sorry, @Craig Swanson

Frank

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Patron Registered

Aren't Aussies allowed to have guns if they need them for defense against dangerous animals?

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Veteran Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin
    I believe you are right. But the laws are written in such a convoluted way that they give the "issuer" of permitting arbitrary ability to deny possession in many cases. This was done early-on in some states which decided to allow "concealed carry". The law read, ".......(the authority) may issue such permit after.......blah, blah.....". May issue allows denial of the application arbitrarily (like for Blacks, for which some feel it was intended). Much protest resulted in wording which states, ".....will issue such permit........". The VERY BEST are worded, ".....must issue....".

On one of my other forums long ago, discussion about Americans' guns was going on, and a farmer's wife, in Australia, wrote of how very fortunate we are here to be able to use firearms for personal protection. Their location was so remote they felt insecure, but could not possess guns. So, don't know the answer to your question.

@Craig Swanson ?

Frank

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Bob Kirk

Bob Kirk Well-Known Member
    Registered

I don't think you are rude and yes this was a misunderstanding on my part. In my post #39 I wrote this

"
    "Explaining that your post was a statement I understand now you don't feel comfortable having a gun around the house."

Bob Kirk, Yesterday at 7:49 AM