Food Stuff As Business

Discussion in 'Self Employment' started by Corie Henson, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

There was a time that I had the idea of selling food stuff for business. It was started by my mother's knack for cooking good food. Her specialty is the crispy pork belly that never fails to elicit praises during gatherings. I had planned on putting up an order and delivery business for that particular dish. However, my mother was not agreeable to the idea because she doesn't want to be kept for long in the kitchen.

But there are other food stuff I have in mind. Food business is good because it requires little capital with a high yield especially when sales is good.

Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a friend who sells breads and other baked goods at the weekly farmer's market. She also makes and sells pottery.

3. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

In this city selling food is a great business, and I don't mean exactly established restaurants and fast food delivery services, but also food take-out stands outside offices and subway stations, small coffee stations, street vending carts, and also food trucks, some of which are so small as the size of the converted motorcycle with a mounted stand to display bakery goodies, candy or simply already prepared and packed sandwiches.

I'm myself tempted to start a food business sometime soon, delivering "food for the lazy housewife", which means having a selection of common dishes in almost any family's menu, but that many times housewives, not being lazy at all, may not have time due to job commitments or else.

However I moved to my new apartment not long ago, and this action left me with a limited budget to get such a business started because I need, to start with, a full-size stove and a refrigerator, none of which I have for now. I cook using electric appliances, including a single-grill stove, while I have only a six-soda cans cooler, no full-fridge at all.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Where we live, the health laws are very restrictive , although there are some people who do an under-the-table business selling food. There was one person that sold tamales (and they were delicious); but she had to be very careful, and only sold to referrals . We moved, and I do not know if she is still doing that.
    Some people sell hot dogs when they are having a yard sale, but since it is only for 1-2 days, they can do it over the weekend and not get caught.
    To do it legally here, you have to have a food license. Bobby was making BBQ ribs for a while; but he was working through a store which had a health license. Since we have dogs that come in the house, it would be hard to get our kitchen certified with the health dept.
    If we could grow enough of a garden to have extra produce (not happening this year !), then we could sell veggies.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith, we also have sanitary laws here but not that strict. I know of some people who sell lunch to offices. They cook the food and put it in transparent plastic bags for individual packing. They cook meals for more than 100 people. An acquaintance does the cooking herself with the help of 2 kitchen staff who also do the packing and the delivery to those offices (by public transport). She earns more than enough to pay the staff and cover the overhead and is left with enough for her savings. However, that food business requires effort because they go to the market very early in the morning and starts cooking even before they eat breakfast.