Foods I Used To Like

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 6, 2016.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I always loved liver and onions and mashed potatoes, another childhood favourite was mashed sheep brains grilled on toast, I loved the rich flavour. I am not sure if you can get them here any more, maybe they are considered unsafe. I guess my tastes may have changed anyway so I may not like them now.
    The other childhood treat was beef dripping from the Sunday roast,on toast with lots of salt.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I just remembered 2 things I used to love but wouldn't care for now.

One was chipped ham, I've never seen it anywhere except Pittsburgh. It was sliced soooo thin. After I moved to Chicago I looked everywhere for it but nobody had it.

Another thing I loved was the hot dogs at Grant's in downtown Pittsburgh, they were the best!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipped_chopped_ham

Isaly's also had the best ice cream.

Ruby Begonia and Terry Page like this.
  3. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh Will! Good news here for you. I have Horehound right here on my desk (well that's not the good news part!) The good news is that I haven't had them sitting here for 40 years or anything, they're new. :D

I've gotten them at a huge produce market that handles old fashioned candies... and I've gotten them at a craft store in the front by the checkout. My current pack is from A.C. Moore, but I'm pretty sure I've seen them at Michael's, too.

Specifics... the brand is "CLAEYS" (Candies Since 1919) It's a 6 oz bag and was very reasonably priced. Manufactured by Claeys Candy Inc. in South Bend, Indiana. 17 calories per piece (well some things are important!) and they manufacture other flavors, too, according to the bag, but I've only tried the Licorice. Other flavors are Natural Lemon, Peppermint, Anise (Oooops, I've had those, too), Sassafras, Green Apple, Wild Cherry, Root Beer, Cinnamon, Licorice, and Watermelon.

Hope you can find some!

4. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I remember that ham, Chrissy... it was sold at the deli as "chipped chopped" (like your link said.) I don't think I ever cared for it very much because of the saltiness, but I know it was a big seller and a lot of people liked it.

Grant's! Is that the Grant's Dept. store chain or another one with the same name? If so, I can't recall if mine had a lunch counter or not, but I do know that I always raced my sister to the candy row to grab up the packets of Sweet Tarts. :)

Ruby Begonia likes this.
  5. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

I could never eat fried chicken livers, probably because my grandparents owned a restaurant when I was a teen. Dad would get a bucket of raw chicken livers from them, leave them set in the sun for several days. The smell was horrific. When they got good and ripe, we went fishing for catfish.
    Used to love frog legs. Ain't had them in many a year. They were fun to catch too.

6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

It was more like a woolworth's and it was in downtown Pittsburgh and had a huge lunch counter. It was only one floor I think but very big. In my teen years we would go there for a cherry phosphate, or cherry coke.

7. Brittany Houser

Brittany Houser Veteran Member
    Registered

My favorite place to go when I was a teen was a place called Orange Julius in the downtown section where I grew up. I lived in the wild and wooly country, so it was a huge treat to go into town a few times a month and have an orange julius drink and a few corndogs that cost 6 cents each! Back then, even in proportion, that was a bargain price. I think the drinks were about 12 cents, and nothing has ever tasted like it...ever!

Ruby Begonia and Terry Page like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Outside of some of the larger cities that might have an Orange Julius shop, Orange Julius first became available to most people, I think, because of the Orange Julius stands in fairs and carnivals. That's where I first came across them. Then, for a while, I saw some in shopping mall food courts, but it's been a while since I have come across an Orange Julius place. I am sure I'd still like them today, however.

Later... It looks like Dairy Queen bought the company out in 1987, and Orange Julius is now a subsidiary of DQ. There are some Dairy Queens around, although fewer than there used to be. I haven't been in one in a while, but it appears that they serve Orange Julius too.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    Brittany Houser and Ruby Begonia like this.
  9. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

Our Grant's was a "dime store" like Woolworth and it did have a lunch counter.

10. Ruby Begonia

Registered

I like liver too, but gave it up, except for the rare pate. Liver is very bad for you since it is the body's filter for all the toxins the animal eats. Concentrated poison, unless the animal eats only organic , no pesticides.

Here's an old time candy I used to like and a link to classic candy at The Vermont Country Store-
    0.jpg

http://www.vermontcountrystore.com/store/jump/Food_&_Candy/Classic_Candy/100622

11. Ken Anderson

Also still available, but not as readily available as it once was ...

bit-o-honey-bar-2.jpg
    How is it that kids lose the taste for things that we loved as children? It's hard for me to believe that some of this stuff would ever drop off the popularity list among children. Why don't kids still love malted milk balls? Why do people have to go to specialty stores or look online for Bit-O-Honey? How did sweet yet bland milk shakes every win out over malted milk shakes? I don't know.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:No. It's a different candy. It came in a little bottle that you twist off the cap. It was around when I was about 8 years ago and I can't even find a picture of it. I believe they don't make the candy any longer. Malted Malts were a light chocolate candy with no coating at all. You just opened up the bottle and pop out a round tab looks like a brown aspirin just a bit bigger. Nothing like it anywhere...I looked.

13. Ken Anderson

Not the same thing then. We didn't have those around when I was a kid, I don't think.

14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

How about Chunky, I think that's what it was called. I liked those chunky chunks of chocolate and raisins and peanuts.

Ike Willis and Ruby Begonia like this.
  15. Ruby Begonia

Registered

Oh, Chrissy, I loved the Chunky bar!

Ike Willis and Chrissy Cross like this.