Foot And Leg Cramps

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I got a bad cramp in each foot (different times) last night and the cramp ended up going straight up my leg to my thigh area. The pain was pretty bad, but after sitting up for awhile, the cramp/pain went away. My wife's PCP told us to chew up a Tums whenever we got those cramps. Whatever that is suppose to do to help the cramp, I have no idea.

I've got the foot cramps before, where my toes curl backwards and seem to lock.

Anyone have this and what did you do about it.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes and leg cramps.. Massaging feet and legs regularly seem to help me.

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

If you get cramp in your feet , immediately it strikes, turn your foot (toes) up very quickly towards your knee, as far as you can, and hold it there until the cramp subsides.. then walk on some cold tiles..

It's extremely painful to have cramps like that , I get it sometimes..

4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Cramps are a terrible pain for sure, have to massage my legs every night before bed, use Arnica or red vine cream
    both help

5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Tums are pretty much made out of calcium. Generally speaking, if one has muscle cramps it’s generally caused by a lack of something like calcium, magnesium or zinc.
    Keep a bottle of Cal/mag/zinc on hand and take a pill as prescribed.

Von Jones and Don Alaska like this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Here's a new one on me that I just found out about yesterday... a connection with sugar. . Something to consider.

"Glucose is required for muscles to properly contract and relax, as is a balanced exchange of electrolytes, such as calcium, magnesium and potassium. When imbalances happen, through either high or low blood sugar, cramps can occur. During low glucose levels, this results in muscles becoming starved for glucose. ... When blood sugar levels are high, excess glucose is excreted along with water and other salts which results in a reduced amount of electrolytes."

LINK

I've been cutting out as much sugar as possible for the last 8 weeks. Last week I cooked something that required a whole cup of sugar. It was about the only thing I ate all afternoon and evening. That night, cramps in both feet up including the shins. Stretching didn't help. It just made the opposing muscles cramp.

Similar thing happened another day a few hours after an overload of pineapple.

I've always had reactive hypoglycemia (blood sugar levels drop overcompensating for a spike...very common...not serious).

Maybe it was just a coincidence. I may try testing it again just to see what happens. [A good excuse to eat candy. :)]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
    Yvonne Smith and Bess Barber like this.
  7. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Nancy Hart You can buy a Glucometer Kit at Walmart/Amazon with everything you need for less than $20 and monitor your blood sugar levels, along with a schedule of what you eat and drink to see what sets you off the most. Water is also a great equalizer. Since I had the mini-stroke because of diabetes awhile back, I can tell you for certain that a week of using the stevia or any other non-sugar brands, you won't be able to tell the difference. When you go shopping, really check the ingredients. I had no idea there even WAS so much sugar in our foods. Geeze!!!

@Cody Fousnaugh Tums have magnesium that is good for cramping. It's probably all the work and standing and sweating you've been doing that depleted your normal amount. Keep drinking water. If you are thirsty, your body is already feeling dehydrated. So, drink when you aren't thirsty. Bananas are good for that as well. REST before you go on the great journey.

Von Jones likes this.
  8. Betty Jones

Betty Jones Veteran Member
    Registered

that happens to my s i l---he buys theraworx at the drug store and it works pretty fast
    you can get it a foam or a spray---i have a thumb that cramps and i use it---i like the spray

Bess Barber and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  9. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Thanks! I'm going to get some. I draw a lot and my right hand gets crampy.

10. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

There was a thread a while back about using magnesium spray for cramps and other pain. I take both magnesium and calcium tablets at night, along with vitamin D3 and vitamin K2. @Nancy Hart the advice about monitoring blood should was good. Reactive hypoglycemia is considered by most to be a pre-diabetic condition. You have to learn when your sugar crashes. If it occurs while driving or doing hazardous things (like chainsawing your redbuds), it could result in serious injury. I had a friend who had it and he nearly killed himself several times. If he had an "incident" like bumping his head or even soundly stubbing his big toe while his sugar was dropping or low, he would often topple over. he fell of his tractor once and collapsed getting into his car, both after bumping his head. He is 85 now, and is still around, so he hasn't died of it.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Registered

I've had the reactive hypo for at least 40 years, that I know of. It's not a serious case--just racing heartbeat and shakiness, lasts about 15 minutes, eating sugar makes it go away faster.

I've been thinking about getting a testing kit just out of curiosity. I suspect you would have to test during that 15 minute period to learn anything, and it rarely even happens.

Didn't mean to change topics. Just indicating sugar might be a cause of muscle cramps, with an example.

12. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I believe Cody has mentioned that he is a diabetic, so he may be having blood sugar spikes. I'm more inclined to believe it has to do with his working hard, packing for their cross-country move in the summer heat.

Don Alaska and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart - I have some melty glucose tablets, I'll try one before bed tonight - would be great if that worked
    then again, I may have your post totally wrong - I'm dodgy today :p

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

That would be my best guess also.

15. Nancy Hart

Registered

The way I read that link, it could be either way. Too much or not enough.

If you have one of those testing kits, better check first.

Patsy Faye likes this.