Foot Heel Pain

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, unlike yesterday morning, when I got out of bed and could hardly walk on the foot/heel, this morning wasn't nearly as bad. I read, dealing with a stretched tendon in the foot/heel, after the foot has been immobilized for a period of time (night sleeping), it takes a little time for the tendon to go back into shape. So I won't have to use the foot to go to the bathroom, during bed-time, I'm using a plastic urinal I have.

I have absolutely no pain when I'm either laying down in bed, sitting in my recliner in the living room or sitting in my office chair in front of the computer. From what I've read, I'd have a serious problem if I had constant pain going on, but I don't.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm afraid you're describing archetypal Plantar fascitis ...rarely any pain at all when resting but as soon as you stretch the tendons by walking the pain is BAD!!...

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not as bad as it was yesterday morning. It was fairly painful then, but after I took ibuprofen, was feeling better.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The spurs don't go away on their own, but they can be surgically removed if they are bad enough to cripple you.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I'm using ice packs now also. Put it in the rear of my slipper and put my foot in the slipper. I only relax in my recliner with the ice pack in...….no walking with it in.

Also, plan on buying either Dr. Scholl's or ProFoot Gel Heel Cushions for my Walking Shoes.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Talked to a friend of mine yesterday (yes, I do have some friends out there LOL). Anyway, he told me he had the same thing happen to him about five years ago. He went to an ortho doctor/surgeon, got an x-ray and the doctor showed him the bone spur/ligament tear on the heel of his foot. The doctor had him start doing a few exercises for the for the pain. One was a foot stretch using a wall or door and the other was using a towel to pull back on his toes. He said, "within a week, all of the pain was gone" and hasn't come back. My outcome could be different, but I'll try it.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, after giving it some REAL thought, I truly believe that I should get an appointment with the ortho/foot doctor/surgeon I seen for my left foot a few years ago. He will get an x-ray and then I will KNOW what the problem is and get his advice on what to do.

Don Alaska and Holly Saunders like this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Registered

Good plan!!

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Got an appointment, but, because of the population here (almost 900,000 in the immediate area), I couldn't get an appointment until the 27th of this month (June). So, in the meantime, will have to take care of the foot, do the exercises, use the ice packs, take the ibuprofen and, without a doubt, rest the foot when I can. Am now using a Gel Heel in my Walking Shoe and in my Post-Op/Medical Shoe.

10. Holly Saunders

Registered

Sorry you have to wait so long, but you're right to do the exercises while you wait for the appointment. Good thing you don't live here..my village shares the doctors surgery practice with the nearest market town (population 25,000), yet the very earliest we can get an appointment to see the GP is 3 weeks, but usually 4 or 5..unless it's an emergency!!

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I am on a Cancellation List, if someone cancels their appointment before the 27th. But, I feel much better, mentally that is, that I've got an appointment.

With my daily shoulders arthritis pain I get and add this heel pain to that...……..
    I'll be 70 years old this Thursday and, currently, I feel every bit of 70 coming on. It's not really THAT bad, but still. My wife, who is 71, gets arthritis pain in her one hand and, way to often, has a hard time sleeping the entire night. Never use to have either of these. Then again, we have the stress of getting our stuff ready for a moving company estimate and finally leaving here. Basically, either August 5 or 6th is coming quicker than we thought it would. One of those two dates is when we leave here. IOW, we have found out that it's not that easy moving at the age of 70 and 71.

Don Alaska and Holly Saunders like this.
  12. Holly Saunders

Registered

It's when you get bad pain that you feel your age for sure.

I have a myriad of stuff that causes me pain...Back..Knee.. and of course the osteoarthritis in my fingers, and some times ( particularly my back).. when the pain is really bad, I feel a hundred!!

Moving is said to be extremely stressful right after death and divorce, especially when you're older. The best thing is to get as much help as possible. Moving in August as well will be exhausting because it's so hot then!! Just take things slowly..and when you get there don't rush into getting everything sorted immediately, take a rest and do things a little bit at a time...

13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Also keep in mind that you may feel your arthritis pain more in the colder climate. If you have asthma, it may get better in the cold months, but arthritis usually gets worse.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Holly Saunders

Registered

I live in Northern Europe...I know how the weather affects pain LOL

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We know about cold and arthritis, BUT "the good stuff comes with the bad stuff". Believe it or not, Don, there are a lot of Senior folks that live in/around Denver, Colorado. For the 5 1/2 years we lived south of Denver, in Parker, I worked in Denver for a Healthcare Company that took care of (medical/dental appointments) of Seniors. I was really, really surprised at how many Seniors live there.

Of course, Colorado winters aren't as bad as Minnesota or Wisconsin winters.