Foot Heel Pain

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 9, 2019.

1. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

My doctor said that they could be removed but would almost certainly come back. I'd much rather wear shoes with a little heel than have painful surgery that would only help temporarily.

@Cody Fousnaugh , can you go to your primary care physician and let him/her see how much pain you are in? They can often get you in to see the surgeon much quicker than you can by just calling.

Don Alaska and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

@Shirley Martin: My doctor said that they could be removed but would almost certainly come back. I'd much rather wear shoes with a little heel than have painful surgery that would only help temporarily.

I was told the same thing. I was also given a prescription for 800 mg Motrin, for well over a year. Didn't know at the time how damaging that prescription,
    taken regularly for so long, could be.

3. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Emma Smith ,I forgot...… my doctor had me taking two aspirin four times a day. After a while, it felt like I had acid eating away at my stomach. I quit taking them.

Emma Smith and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

My mom swears that our generation has more foot/heel problems because instead of soft carpet, we choose wood floors and tile. We get more thud than buoyancy.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Oh, I know there are lots of older folks living in Colorado, just as there are here. Just reminding you that arthritis may get worse when the temperature is colder.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually, on a relocation forum I'm part of, a couple of Seniors told me their arthritis felt better in winter months. When we lived there before, neither of us had the arthritis pain we get now, so...…….

Thing is, here in Florida, which is the most "tropical" area a person can live in in the U.S., the high humidity can be a "killer" with arthritis pain. Florida is very well known for high humidity and the "tropical" feeling...…..IOW, sweat, sweat, sweat!!!

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Perhaps the heel pain is getting a little better. I didn't have as much of a problem walking on the foot this morning, when I got out of bed, that I've had. Won't cancel my doctors appointment on the 27th, unless the foot/heel gets much, much better. Unless a patient of his cancels, I'll have a couple of weeks to see how much the heel gets better.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

The ibuprofen is helping. We bought me a pair of Dr. Scholl's Heel Inserts. I put one in the Post-Surgery/Medical Shoe, but also have to wear two socks on the foot for more cushion. When we leave to go somewhere, I take off the Post-Surgery/Medical Shoe and put both of the Heel Inserts into my Walking Shoes.

I had stopped the tennis ball exercise, but am starting it up again this AM.

Also, keeping my appointment with the Ortho Surgeon on the 27th of this month. Wife and I want to know exactly what's causing my heel pain.

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Kept my appointment with the Orth Dr./Surgeon yesterday AM. He didn't even have an x-ray done, just told me I had Planta Fasciitis. He was happy about the treatment I have been doing to the foot, IOW......ice pack, tennis ball roll, taking the ibuprofen and wearing the Post-Op/Medical Shoe he had given me for my left foot injury in 2016.

He REALLY liked that I had bought a pair of Dr. Scholl's Heel inserts. He did add another foot exercise for me to do...…...cross right leg over left, pull my toes back and push heel forward for a minute. So, I'm doing that now. He told me "just keep doing what you've been doing until the pain is gone. From what I see, the foot is getting better daily."

No additional medicine to buy, no PT, no x-ray and no follow-up appointment. Boy, was I one "happy camper", as was my wife. Walked out of the office the same way I came in...…...wearing my Walking Shoes w/the Dr. Scholl's Heel Insert in each shoe.

And, on top of this, we bought my wife a pair of the Dr. Scholl's Heel Inserts for her shoes.

Nancy Hart and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Hmmm. So this was the first time you've seen him for this complaint, but "from what he sees the foot is getting better daily?" Hopefully the exercises will help you.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just a saying. Of course he hasn't seen me on a daily basis, but he could see that I've been taking care of the foot since the pain started on June 8th. Remember, I walked into his exam room wearing my Walking (tennis) shoes with the Heel Inserts in each...…...not using crutches or in a wheelchair.

12. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I told you right at the start of this thread it sounded like Plantar fasciitis

I had it in the year I retired, and standing on my feet 10 hours a day at work was one of the instrumental reasons for me to take early retirement ...I could barely stand for the pain, ..took the best part of the last year for me to recover.. and even now I still get it if I wear heels, or walk barefoot for more than a short distance ( someone who always walked barefoot when at home)... . However, wheelchair and crutches?...blimey Cody , I thought I was a Drama Queen... :p

Beth Gallagher and Don Alaska like this.