Football Is Here

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Tim Burr, Sep 3, 2016.

1. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

In our family, college football is big.

I married a lady who knows a lot about the game and her passion for her team rubbed off on me.
    She would tell me of being a little girl on the farm and how outside work stopped
    and they would gather around the radio to listen to the 'game'.

Today we will grab our oldest and head to a place that host the fans of the team.
    You wouldn't think fans of a college in the Midwest could take over a place in the South.

We joined this group when we moved here in 2009.
    Like old friends, we meet up and cheer the team and catch up.

Oh, and GO BIG RED !

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

What team is that?

I'm not into college Football but my kids are all Fans of the teams from Illinois.

I'm a diehard Bears fan otherwise, my heart belongs to Chicago but living here in California I've become a 49ers fan...sort of.

3. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Go Big Red is of course, The Nebraska Cornhuskers.
    As for the Pro game, we are fans of different teams.
    I like the Tennessee Titans ( Home team ) Wife is for the 49ers, her 1st cousin is a coach and former player.
    Oldest likes the Rams and youngest is smart, he goes with Dad's pick.:)

4. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Wow, I'm going to tell my grandson I know someone on a forum who has a wife who's cousin is a coach and former player on the 49ers.

They put on all their 49ers gear to watch the games and so much yelling in that house on Sundays.....daughter and I can't stand it, lol.

5. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I am not a college football fan either. Now my brother follows Texas Tech as that is his alma mater. My college alma mater had a horrendously poor football team, thus my reason for not following the season.

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

When you say football, I presume it is American football that we know as rugby. And I think it is the Super Bowl for the big event? Anyway, football is alien to me likewise with soccer. All I know is basketball which used to be the national sport in our country. But I understand the popularity of the football teams and the loyalty of the fans to their teams.

By the way, NBA is gaining ground here at the expense of our own professional basketball league. It is the popularity of the players like Lebron James which is a big factor.

Joe Riley likes this.
  7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

GO HOGS, I like college football, the NFL not as much but I watch them too.

8. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I don;t generally watch college football, although many people find it more exctiing than the pros. I am a big NFL fan. However, by far, my fave team to watch is the Redskins most other NFL football, I will watch it, but I don't that much about the games. I will be watching the kickoff of the season on Thursday, though as that is going to be a good game. A Superbowl re match. I think alot of people will tune in for that one.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We like our college team, Gators. Actually, they do better than our NFL team! We shopped at Walmart the other night and got Potato Skins, Buffalo Wings and Oven-Baked Pretzels. When we get that stuff, we know NFL season is starting! We watch our local team on tv, but they haven't been very good since we moved her in early '09. When we can get it, we are more of Bronco/Denver fans, but will watch a few other NFL teams play as well. Have never gone to an NFL game due to the cost. The cheap seats are so high up in the stadium, a person could see the pilot/passengers in a jet going overhead........well, only kidding, but, definitely have to have a good pair of binoculars to watch the game with.

Anyway, watching NFL or the "Gators" at home is so much fun, because wife and I make it that way. We lay out snacks, that can include vegie's and of course, the Bud Light.
    As the old saying goes, "Let the games begin!"

10. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

Watching football keeps me sane. I can enjoy the games at home or with a bunch of fans at a Watch Site.
    Like I stated, I am a convert to the families team. Wife, and both sons born in Nebraska and I just went along for the ride.
    I was born a 'Dawg' and still get excited when the 'Worlds Largest Cocktail Party' happens! ( for those who don't know,
    this is what they call the Georgia - Florida football game )

K E Gordon likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We know that game. Only thing is, the game took place during Halloween weekend, so Jax Landing didn't have a Halloween Party, like it did two years ago. Yes, we hold a Halloween Party at the Landing much higher than the World's Largest Cocktail Party. This year will be different, Halloween is on a Monday...........YES!!

Tim Burr likes this.
  12. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I know college ball is a bit more exciting, but I am an NFL fan all the way, especially my fave team the Washington Redskins. Their premier game is against the Steelers should be one to watch. Both teams have some great players..and some experienced coaches. the Redskins lead the division last year, and of course we are way overdo here for a Superbowl berth. I bleed burgundy and gold y'all. Some scalper on this yard sale site I go to is selling Skins Steelers tickets for about 399...hmmm that may work in Northern Virginia..don;t think anybody in these parts will pay that.

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I grew up less than a hundred miles from the Green Bay Packers but have never been to a professional football game. In high school, I would attend football games only long enough to find someone who wanted to do something else. It was a good place to meet but I rarely even looked at the field. I know nothing about football.

I'm not much of a sports fan at all, really. I do very much enjoy baseball when I am at the stadium, and have been to several Braves games when they were in Milwaukee, more than half of the Angels' home games while I was living in Orange County, California, and to quite a few LA Dodgers games. I don't even mind high school baseball games, and I'll sometimes watch the Little League World Series on television, but otherwise I don't watch any sports on television.

I played Little League for a few years while I was a kid, but I really sucked at it. I enjoyed the unorganized games that we played in the field across from my house though, but we barely kept score.

I didn't think I'd like hockey but when I was in California, I was renting a house with a friend of mine whose parents had seasons tickets to the Kings' games. While they were in Europe one season, we got to use their tickets, which were also good seats. Since my friend played hockey, he was able to tell me what was going on, and I was surprised to find that I enjoyed it, although I've never watched a game since.

I pretty much know what's going on in basketball but have no interest in it.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My favorite sport is baseball also...maybe because my son played in high school. He was pretty good but quit his senior year when as a left handed pitcher (made him special) he got hit in the head with a ball and was knocked unconscious. A horrible thing to see your child crumble to the ground. He spent 3 days in the hospital.

Anyway, I'm a big Chicago Cubs fan and have been to a few games at Wrigley field. Have also gone to a few games in St Louis when visiting son, but he is NOT a cardinals fan, lol. Most in that part of Illinois are though since it's across the river from St. Louis.

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yeah, I grew up in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan, and have only come across one person who was a Detroit Tigers fan. The UP (at least the southern part of the UP) goes for the Wisconsin teams rather than the Michigan ones, which are all in the Lower Peninsula.