Forum Terminology

Discussion in 'Notices & Announcements' started by Ken Anderson, Mar 13, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It has occurred to me that not everyone has the same definition of such terms as categories, forums, sub-forums, threads, and posts.

category-forum-sub-forum.jpg
    The Seniors Only Club has eight categories: FORUM ADMINISTRATION & NOTICES, EDUCATION & ENTERTAINMENT, GETTING IT DONE, HOT BUTTON ISSUES, I REMEMBER WHEN, ON THE LIGHTER SIDE, OURSELVES & OTHERS, and OFF TOPIC.

We have forty-four forums. I won't name them all because there are forty-four of them but within the FORUM ADMINISTRATION & NOTICES category, there are two forums: Notices & Announcements and Help Requests. Because of the layout that I use here, I like to create forums in twos.

The Notices & Announcements forum has three sub-forums: Comments on Forum, Introductions, and Member Websites. Sub-forums are created as needed, usually when they are suggested by common topics, such as Music and Movies, in the Movies & Entertainment forum.

Categories, forums, and sub-forums have to be created through my Admin account, although I welcome suggestions and requests. See the New Topics thread.

threads.jpg
    As an example, within the Notices & Announcements forum, there are several threads. Any member of the forum can create threads. Threads created by members will appear once the Opening Post is posted. The only exception to this is the Notices & Announcements forum, where they won't appear until I have approved them. The ones that are highlighted in blue are stickied threads, which will remain on top.

posts.jpg
    Within each thread are posts, which can be created by any member.

This can be complicated by the fact that we generally refer to the entire site as a forum, which it is, but remember that within the Seniors Only Club forum there are other forums. I could call them sub-forums, but then I'd have to call the sub-forums sub-sub-forums, and that would sound like I was stuttering and I got over that years ago. Well, almost anyhow.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I could call them sub-forums, but then I'd have to call the sub-forums sub-sub-forums, and that would sound like I was stuttering and I got over that years ago. Well, almost anyhow.

:D:D

Don Alaska and Ken N Louis like this.